Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have I caught BMW in a bold lie in thier brochure? They state they R best selling?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04 | 11:28 AM
LexFather

Default Have I caught BMW in a bold lie in thier brochure? They state they R best selling?!

So, a lady at work was talking about she wanted the Caddy convert. I said the XLR. She said yeah, it only starts at 31k? So I was like, naw, it's like an 80k car. Again, she states it's 31k. I tell her the sedan is, the CTS. She is like. No, the XLR. She asks what a sedan is? I tell her it's a 4-door. She then says, "your right, they both look like the same thing".

So I she has brochures from the Atlanta auto show. I flick through the BMW one (the 1st one I picked up) and there on the first page.No Wonder BMW has been America's top-selling luxury import car for the past eight years-and the number-one selling European luxury import car in the U.S for the past 11.

So it is just me but that is a blantant lie? Lexus has been the #1 selling luxury car for the past 4 years. And I believe in 1993/1994 was the top selling import luxury brand.
Old 03-19-04 | 11:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Nah it's not a lie, you'll probably get arguments debating what count as car sales,what count as SUV/crossover/truck sales or whatever.
Old 03-19-04 | 12:17 PM
LexFather

Good point. I was thinking about cars made here in the U.S badged as BMWs too. Oh well.
Old 03-20-04 | 10:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The key phase is import car. Lexus is definately the best selling
luxury nameplate but that includes all models. The RX pushes Lexus
to the #1 position. BMW sells more sedans and coupes.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 03-20-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-24-04 | 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

At the rate the U.S. is consuming SUVs though and BMW is cranking out uglier cars, they may continue to hold that record by selling a dozen cars a year.
Old 03-24-04 | 09:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=114241

Nuff Said!
Old 03-25-04 | 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

plus it said "the best selling EUROPEAN import....."

if we talk about euro imports, then yeah, i think they are number 1
Old 03-25-04 | 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
plus it said "the best selling EUROPEAN import....."

if we talk about euro imports, then yeah, i think they are number 1
Nobody seems to be noticing, though, how Audi is catching up to BMW, especially since the BangleBuggies have cut down on BMW's sales. The Audi S-cars are often equaling or beating the M-cars in auto magazine tests. And, for people in bad-weather areas, Audi offers the Quattro AWD either standard or as an option on just about everything it sells. BMW does so only on a few U.S. market cars and, of course, the X-series. Audis, of course, don't yet have quite the steering feel of Bimmers....nothing does, but even THAT is being compromised somewhat by the new BMW Active Steering.
Audi's only real problem has been reliability....a problem also shared by recent Bimmers and Mercedes
But check out an Audi interior if you want class.....especially the A8.
Old 03-25-04 | 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

actually i think audi is catching up quick on the quality too, while bimmer and mb continues to go down from what i heard. that's advatage to audi

and actually, the new s4 with the v8 still can't beat the m3 with i6 i think, the m3 still rules
Old 03-26-04 | 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
actually i think audi is catching up quick on the quality too, while bimmer and mb continues to go down from what i heard. that's advatage to audi

and actually, the new s4 with the v8 still can't beat the m3 with i6 i think, the m3 still rules
Maybe the M still rules (slightly) in gut-wrenching 0-60 times and slalom figures....but awards in auto magazine tests are based on more than just pure performance numbers. Nowadays, fit-and-finish, reliability, comfort, attention to detail, ease of use of the controls, quality of materials, ride vs. handling trade-off, etc...all count, too. And, not inconsequential, either.....compare the level of arrogance in the AVERAGE Audi dealer vs. the AVERAGE Bimmer dealer.....that arrogance issue has already been addressed in other Club Lexus Car Chat forums.

As far as "catching up on quality" goes....Consumer Reports, which, along with J.D. Power, has one of the best auto reliability databases in the country....generally agrees with you. They show the Audi A4 in general with a slow improvement in reliability for the last few years. The specific S4 model is too small statistically to have a separate column.
Old 03-26-04 | 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by mmarshall
Maybe the M still rules (slightly) in gut-wrenching 0-60 times and slalom figures....but awards in auto magazine tests are based on more than just pure performance numbers. Nowadays, fit-and-finish, reliability, comfort, attention to detail, ease of use of the controls, quality of materials, ride vs. handling trade-off, etc...all count, too. And, not inconsequential, either.....compare the level of arrogance in the AVERAGE Audi dealer vs. the AVERAGE Bimmer dealer.....that arrogance issue has already been addressed in other Club Lexus Car Chat forums.

As far as "catching up on quality" goes....Consumer Reports, which, along with J.D. Power, has one of the best auto reliability databases in the country....generally agrees with you. They show the Audi A4 in general with a slow improvement in reliability for the last few years. The specific S4 model is too small statistically to have a separate column.

totally agree with you