Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think about JDM badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 01:34 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think about JDM badging

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i was wondering what all of you thought about debadging your current emblems and changing them to JDM emblems (ex: Lexus GS300/Toyota Aristo) Is it a dumb thing to do? What do you guys think when you see some acura/lexus/infiniti with honda/toyota/nissan badges?
Old 03-19-04, 01:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering I have a partial badges swap, I would say

Some go all the way and put the Toyota emblem to replace the 'L'. I kept the Lexus part.
Old 03-19-04, 01:47 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I always wanted to put the soarer griffen on the front and a T on the rear... take out the Lexus emblem, SC400 add a Soarer emblem. I know most non car enthusiest would say, I like the L better... but JDM is cool.
Old 03-19-04, 01:56 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Default I beleive...

It down right dumb! To me this is in the category as RICEY RICEY RICEY. No matter how much you wish you lived in japan (jk), pretending you have the Japanese model wont make your car japanese. It's a Gs! We live in the States/Canada, they called it that for that reason, these people should get used to it. It just doesn't make logical sence. In their minds they appear to be more of an enthusiast, but this can't be the case because they are mixing up different model which proves otherwise. (Unless they covert every conceivable part to japanese parts - where then you maybe get some credit). It is just so "ricey", as much putting "vtec, or turbo " or whatever on something that doesn't exist. It just doesn't!People obsessed with aztella lights, which is the Japanese name for the is, people convert the 95-97 accords to look like the a#$ of an is! It's just as laughable!!!
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think about JDM badging-110-1041_img.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 02:00 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Default Re: I beleive...

Originally posted by Lex_Fnatic
It down right dumb! To me this is in the category as RICEY RICEY RICEY. No matter how much you wish you lived in japan (jk), pretending you have the Japanese model wont make your car japanese. It's a Gs! We live in the States/Canada, they called it that for that reason, these people should get used to it. It just doesn't make logical sence. In their minds they appear to be more of an enthusiast, but this can't be the case because they are mixing up different model which proves otherwise. (Unless they covert every conceivable part to japanese parts - where then you maybe get some credit). It is just so "ricey", as much putting "vtec, or turbo " or whatever on something that doesn't exist. It just doesn't!People obsessed with aztella lights, which is the Japanese name for the is, people convert the 95-97 accords to look like the a#$ of an is! It's just as laughable!!!
I get what your saying, but how would that be ricey if your simply changing the emblems to their JDM name? I know its ricey when people put things on their car that dont exist for their car but if its really the JDM name, would that really be ricey?
Old 03-19-04, 02:05 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

That integra is rice for sure, but if you make your car look like what it should have been when it came from Japan I don't think there is anything wrong. Just emblems, afterall the car is an Aristo, and you can have the same argument... it isn't a Lexus, Lexus is just a ploy they use in North America to make the rich people feel better about buying a glorfied Toyota. To me it is just a car, what what pleases you.
Old 03-19-04, 05:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rice = bad
JDM = good.

JDM =\= Rice.

We're not PRETENDING we have the Japanese model. That's the name of the car in Japan and there's nothing wrong with calling its own name.

Like you said, VTEC and TURBO stickers on cars that don't have it is dumb. But I have a GS/Aristo, and I have Aristo emblems. Don't think you're separating rice from JDM.
Old 03-19-04, 05:39 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDM is cool not rice shoot I bet everyone here wished they could get a hold of a real ARISTO buy since we cant atleast we can call our cars by it JDM name and bagde it NOT RICE. well how about all the guys from japan the badge there cars LEXUS are they HAMBURGER?
Old 03-19-04, 05:46 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Do people in Japan brand their Toyota's Lexus? I have never heard that, I have heard Aussies branding Soarers with L's since they do have Lexus there... but SC400/300 never came there and most of the Soarers are from Japan, hence they have T by default.
Old 03-19-04, 05:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

People in Japan are doing just the opposite. Many want Lexus/Infiniti badges. Personally I like the Lexus/Infiniti/Acura badges better.
I dislike debadging even more, unless it makes the car look better to me. I haven't seen a debadged car that I like

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-19-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 07:02 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

I like the ARISTO badge if you ask me.

but I put on a different badge all together. I put on a "Junction Produce" badge ricey??

Last edited by JunctionGS; 03-19-04 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 08:02 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

John, those chrome door handles are sure "ricey"

Can I join in on this cool concept called "rice" ?

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 03-19-04 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 08:32 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Alot of people have different definitions of rice.

Here

Last edited by Pagong; 03-19-04 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 08:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

what exactly is ricey?? i dont think JDM badges are ricey. i mean just one JDM badge are not but a whole bunch is
Old 03-19-04, 08:55 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I think if you brand your car with something its not it is rice, but since a SC400 is a Soarer... its not really ricing it. If you put a SC400 on a SC300 or a Turbo on a non Turbo... I think that is rice. M on a 318 etc.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about JDM badging