Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need help deciding which car to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 12:48 AM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help deciding which car to purchase

Hey guys i need to purchase another car , some choices are have are as follows

Eagle talon TSI AWD
Mazda Millenia S
Huyndai Tiburon
Mitsubishi Diamante 97+
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Please help me out if you had past experience driving any one of these vehicles or would like to recommend something in that price range i would love to hear the comment, good, bad,tell me and help me make a decision thanks guys
Old 03-20-04, 02:21 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A common theme is calling out to me when I look at your list of cars....

Poor quality and reliability....

However, the ultimate decision is in your hands..One of the most important things you should ask yourself when your deciding on a new car is...

"What am I really looking for?"
Old 03-20-04, 09:10 AM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

need a piece of Shi* untill i can buy a newer sc
Old 03-20-04, 09:46 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help deciding which car to purchase

Originally posted by DaizenLex

Eagle talon TSI AWD
Mazda Millenia S
Huyndai Tiburon
Mitsubishi Diamante 97+
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Please help me out if you had past experience driving any one of these vehicles or would like to recommend something in that price range i would love to hear the comment, good, bad,tell me and help me make a decision thanks guys
do not get the mazda millinia, the new tiburon looks cool, unsure of reliability.

the dimante...is a good car, been around for a long time.

eclipse... is basically the same as the eagle talon. u have to make sure u dont have the drive shaft problem though. otherwise, you will tear up your engine.

i know this personally, it started to happen to me, but i caught it in time. they still had to repair part of the engine, and replace the ball bearings on the drive shaft.
Old 03-20-04, 09:48 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

need a piece of Shi* untill i can buy a newer sc
If that's what you want the Mitsu cars fall in the POS category. I'd rather take the Tiburon and be backed up by their warranty.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 03-20-04 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-20-04, 10:56 AM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

i was actually heavily considering the talon awd, heard theyre fun to drive and dont caryy many problems.
Old 03-20-04, 12:31 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Eagle talon TSI AWD- One of my friends had this. It spent most of the time in the shop due to engine and tranny problems.

Huyndai Tiburon- My other friend has the new one. The electrical system shorted out after only 10k miles. Then the tranny went at around 15k miles. The good thing is that this thing has a killer warranty.

Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX- Again, another one of my friends use to own one of these, but it was so plagued with problems that is was junked.

If your looking for a fun car to play around with, maybe a Honda Prelude Vtec would be a good choice for you to consider. Atleast the engine will past 84k miles before you need a rebuild.
Old 03-20-04, 02:52 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

ok how about a 95+ 240 sx i call it the baby sc , every one says they look allot like sc's,
i want definitely an AWD dont want to pay more than 5k , and something that i can beat on any suggestions?
I will look into a prelude also
Old 03-20-04, 03:59 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I had a 91 240sx, it also had alot of problems but it was fun to drive nevertheless. Why don't u consider Ali Hamed's SC300 5spd for sale in for $5000 in the CL classifieds? It sounds like its in your price range and you shouldn't worry about problems. Plus it will be fun to drive.
Old 03-20-04, 08:16 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Honda Prelude

Ed
Old 03-20-04, 08:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Out of those cars, I would take the Diamante. I really love the styling of that car...........As far as Mitsu reliability, I had a 99 Galant (1st year production) for almost 4 years with no serious problems.
Old 03-21-04, 05:08 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

lex is high mainteance in terms of upkeep and aftermarket parts
Old 03-21-04, 05:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
A common theme is calling out to me when I look at your list of cars....

Poor quality and reliability....
I agree, I think you should focus on reliability and cost of ownership rather than the image of the car (sporty or luxurious). I say go for a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry bud! good luck
Old 03-22-04, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Need help deciding which car to purchase

Originally posted by DaizenLex

Eagle talon TSI AWD
Mazda Millenia S
Huyndai Tiburon
Mitsubishi Diamante 97+
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

The Tiburon V6...especially brand-new....would be the most sensible buy. Hyundai's trash days are pretty much over....they keep getting better every year. Their prices are great, too. Check out the fit-and-finish of these cars now and you'll see that it is as good as anything else in the non-luxury price range. And you get the 10 year / 100,000 drivetrain warranty and 5 / 60 bumper-to bumper. The Tiburon's only real negative is a pretty stiff ride.

Next would be the Elipse....but go with a new one rather than a used GSX. It will cost more brand-new than the Tiburon, but it is reasonably sporty and fun to drive with the V6....without the complexity of the former AWD model (represented here by the Eagle Talon AWD, which was a rebadged Eclipse GSX ), and Mitsubishi has just announced a 10 Yr / 100,000 drivetrain warranty like Hyundai. It probably will be needed....Mitsubishi engines tend to show a lot of wear and need minor rebuilds around 80-90,000 miles.

The Diamante is a soft-sprung highway cruiser with an ultra-smooth drivetrain. It is useful mostly for long trips, and has a high depreciation rate due to its unpopularity. It is a good deal as a used car, but hard to resell.

The Millenia was a nice car but the S model had the Miller-cycle engine that was not made in large numbers (the car didn't sell well). So, like the Mazda rotaries, engine parts and service can be a little steep for the S models. Like the Diamante, it also has high depreciation due to unpopularity, so it is a good deal used but also difficult to resell.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 03-22-04, 09:12 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

thanks for the info guys i was pointing more toward used cars, everyone seems to think i can afford a 15k+ car errrr, where did you guys get that idea???

Quick Reply: Need help deciding which car to purchase