Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TX2K4 experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-04, 08:50 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TX2K4 experience

Just got back from TX2K4, and it was quite an event. I don't have the stats on the number of cars entered, but the quality of the field was very impressive. The event consisted of road racing on Thursday, Show-and-Shine/Dyno on Friday, and drag racing on Saturday.

Thursday: Road racing Texas World Speedway (http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/track.htm)

Got up at 4am to drive to Texas World Speedway for the road racing event ; hit the road at 5:15am, and the CDI dies not 5 minutes from the house. After pushing the car into Starbucks, I dig out the bypass connector and get the car back on the road. Unfortunately, that leaves me on the wastegate spring for the remainder of the event (13psi). I can't run any more boost due to spark blow-out on stock coil voltage above 15psi at 0.030" gap.

Get to the event and barely make the driver's meeting. I asked to be put in the 2nd beginners group to get some extra time to diagnose the CDI (MSD DIS4). It's toast. No biggie. Car runs pretty good at 13psi.

I was lucky to get one of the main instructors to ride with me and take the car through the paces for the first two laps while explaining the course while we "follow the leader". Interestingly, he didn't have a clue that the car was putting down over 350hp when he got in. All he did was laugh histerically when I told him what was under the hood (whole other story).

The road coarse at TWS absolutely rocks! It was worth just sitting as a passenger being driven around the course by someone who *really* knows how to road race. It totaly exceeded my expectations. I also learned a *ton* about basic skills/techniques of driving a road course. First, I shifted *way* too much and constantly moved my hands on and off the steering wheel. Hue (instructor) had me stay in third gear almost everywhere on the course except on the straight-away. It serves two purposes: 1) you're always in the power band, 2) you have *much* more control of the car and are able to focus on setting up the corners without taking your hands off the steering wheel.

Lessons learned from road racing:

1) Road racing will expose weaknesses in your car.
2) Road racing will expose weaknesses in your car. (yes ,this is a repeat)
3) Murphy is a *very* wise man.

The NA brakes are completely inadequate for road racing (Duh). Everytime we came off the course, the brakes were smoking. Additionally, the NA cooling system can't handle excessive boost conditions when the car is *really* getting pushed to the limit. We had to take it easy on the straight-away just to let the car cool down. I also had a small engine fire when the vacuum lines to the wastegate caught on fire due to excessive heat. Fortunately, I few opened bottles of drinking water put out the emergency.

Also, the car consumed *all* the meth/water I brought for the entire weekend in two, half-hour sessions road racing. (Note to self: bring more methanol next time!)

I was concerned that the sc300 would get smoked by the Supras, but that's not the case. On a few occassions, I had a Supra staring me down in the rear-view mirror, but for the most part, I could get separation in the road portion of the course. They definitely went by on the straights because I had to let the car cool down.

Friday: Show-and-Shine/Dyno Motorsport Technologies (http://www.motorsporttech.com/)

It was quite a showing. There were probably 20 cars entered in the SNS, and another 30 that could have entered. For the first time, a mkiii won all categories for mki-mkiii, and a mkiv did the same in the mkiv category.

The dyno was also impressive. A boosted Viper won the event by pegging the dyno at 1200+hp. No one knows what it put down. A twin turbo Corvette also had impressive numbers. Peter Blach (event organizer) ran his Boost-Logic built Supra to 1160hp. And there were at least half a dozen cars that were over 700hp. The Intense Motorsports Supra pushed the dyno past its limit of 160mph. It's pretty clear that the dyno needs upgrading for next year's event.

Saturday: Drag racing San Antonio Raceway (http://www.sanantonioraceway.com/)

The brackets were organized into mki-mkiii, stock twin supras, singles no nitrous or alternative fuels, and the unlimiteds.

A few of the stock twin supras ran 11s, and a number of the single supras ran in the 10s. It's really scarey to see what it takes to make a strong pass even with a large single. I've never seen burn-outs like what these guys were doing with their street cars. Holy crap! It also amazes me that the 6-speed driveline can take that kind of abuse. Most of the auto trannies were built.

The Unlimiteds included mostly race Supras and Vipers. Titan ran high 8s, but the VirtualWorks Supra consistantly ran low 9's every round and improved each time down the track. I also believe Sound Performance broke down. Unfortunately, I left the event early to get home. So, I don't know the final results.

I didn't take any pics (sorry Jon), but others from CL were there. I'm sure they will post some pics of the event.

I also met a few folks that I've exchanged pms or e-mails with, and 250 participated in the group dinner Friday night. All-in-all, it was a great event. I'll definitely be back next year.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 03-21-04 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-21-04, 09:42 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup, thx Scott, as for the pics it's all good, but I did want one of those smokin' brakes .
Old 03-21-04, 12:46 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a blast at the dyno day
Old 03-21-04, 03:42 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only came there to see SW's sweet-*** 97 SC!

Im telling you guys, pictures dont do the car any justice, you have to see it up close to appreciate its cleanliness. Every single part of the car was spotless and the swap looked like it came from factory.
Old 03-21-04, 06:15 PM
legendary
Racer

Great write up!
I think we should move this to the Car Chat for more exposure
Old 03-21-04, 07:52 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by got_trd
I had a blast at the dyno day
ChiNo,

I saw your car parked on the street... Soarer emblems, right? We should have hooked up. I had the red sc parked two cars in front of you.

-scott
Old 03-21-04, 08:12 PM
racing fan
Driver

Great to finally meet you scott. Looking forward to seeing your car perform to its full potential soon
Old 03-21-04, 09:03 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott- you're alive! I tried getting in touch with you when we had to last Dallas meet a few weeks ago to see if you could make it. I'm moving to Cali in May so you def. have to make the next one - it will be my last And good writeup BTW

Chino- you get that tranny fixed yet?
Old 03-21-04, 09:39 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Did anyone take pics of the event?
Old 03-22-04, 05:10 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by racing fan
Great to finally meet you scott. Looking forward to seeing your car perform to its full potential soon
Likewise, Zohair. Next year, I think we both would like to make a good showing of an NA-T.

-scott
Old 03-22-04, 02:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I heard there where records broken again at the dyno.
Pics would be cool.
Old 03-22-04, 06:41 PM
MCL
Rookie

Originally posted by Richie
I heard there where records broken again at the dyno.
Pics would be cool.
Look on www.supraforums.com you'll find plenty.
Old 03-22-04, 07:49 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MCL

got_trd's and Street King's SC's. Very nice!!!!

56K Don't try these links!!!
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...4&pagenumber=9

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...45#post1734045
Old 03-22-04, 08:10 PM
legendary
Racer

wow....just beautiful
Old 03-23-04, 11:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MCL
Found them, thanks!!

Quick Reply: TX2K4 experience