Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 07:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default HERE IT IS

http://www.camryman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577

THE PIC IS IN THIS LINK. I personnaly think it looks wierd, but cant wait for the 3.5L engine. 270hp.

Altima?
True. It is a bad scan but it gives you an idea. It's an excellent shot of the front but the rest of the car...it does it no justice. Trust me...once you see this car in real life the last you'll think of is an NISSAN.

Did anybody read Motor Trends note that the Sienna could get away with having a Lexus badge instead of a Toyota. We have a GS and compared to the new Avalon...this car is going to be the next Toyota that will have the same things said about it.

I've seen this car in 4 different stages of completion and I'm here to tell you...the build quality on this one is the best I've ever seen at TMMK. Toyota is FINALLY reacting to poor quality, small size and being under-powered. There are some really trick features to this one. I'm not sure if it's standard but every Avalon I've seen has Xenon headlights. Optional 17" wheels. 3 different interior "trim" colors...dark wood, light wood and a polished look. There are emergency keys but there's no place to stick it in the dash to start it. It's all push button baby. Push a button and the doors unlock...step on the brake pedal and the dash lights up then push the start button to start it. When you're done...push the same button to turn it off. Get out and it locks itself or again push the button on the outside handle to lock it quicker. The key or "sensor" that you carry in your pocket or purse is the same exact size as a real metal lighter...not one of those "flick your bic" lighters. Plus, this "key/sensor" is almost too toy-like...I think it's too light...but the one I had could've been a prototype...I've only seen one so far.

I've heard a few comments about the new Avalon (and it's going to be a 2006 not a 2005) but none of them had anything to do with an Altima. I think this car looks flag-ship worthy but I'm biased.

Once you see it in real life you'll know.
Old 08-23-04, 09:29 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they should stick a fork in the Avalon and import the Crown Majesta
Old 08-23-04, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Default Re: HERE IT IS

Originally posted by magneto112

THE PIC IS IN THIS LINK. I personnaly think it looks wierd, but cant wait for the 3.5L engine. 270hp.

Altima?
True. It is a bad scan but it gives you an idea. It's an excellent shot of the front but the rest of the car...it does it no justice. Trust me...once you see this car in real life the last you'll think of is an NISSAN.

Did anybody read Motor Trends note that the Sienna could get away with having a Lexus badge instead of a Toyota. We have a GS and compared to the new Avalon...this car is going to be the next Toyota that will have the same things said about it.

I've seen this car in 4 different stages of completion and I'm here to tell you...the build quality on this one is the best I've ever seen at TMMK. Toyota is FINALLY reacting to poor quality, small size and being under-powered. There are some really trick features to this one. I'm not sure if it's standard but every Avalon I've seen has Xenon headlights. Optional 17" wheels. 3 different interior "trim" colors...dark wood, light wood and a polished look. There are emergency keys but there's no place to stick it in the dash to start it. It's all push button baby. Push a button and the doors unlock...step on the brake pedal and the dash lights up then push the start button to start it. When you're done...push the same button to turn it off. Get out and it locks itself or again push the button on the outside handle to lock it quicker. The key or "sensor" that you carry in your pocket or purse is the same exact size as a real metal lighter...not one of those "flick your bic" lighters. Plus, this "key/sensor" is almost too toy-like...I think it's too light...but the one I had could've been a prototype...I've only seen one so far.

I've heard a few comments about the new Avalon (and it's going to be a 2006 not a 2005) but none of them had anything to do with an Altima. I think this car looks flag-ship worthy but I'm biased.

Once you see it in real life you'll know.
Great find.

Old 08-23-04, 10:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HERE IT IS

Originally posted by magneto112

Thanks for the link, magneto112!

The interior is gorgeous and convincingly real with all the Lexus-like touches including a gated-shifter (a first on a North American Toyota, isn't it?).

The exterior, on the other hand, could still be generated by some unofficial artist particularly because that California license plate has a pretty valid-looking number--when's the last time anyone has EVER seen an unreleased car with a regular license plate?

The exterior of the Avalon should convey a moderate yet upscale feel to suit its target market. This rendering does not. Doesn't convince me, at least.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-23-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 10:54 PM
Lvangundy

Nice! Go Toyota!

Old 08-24-04, 11:07 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SexySC
Why don't they just bring the Toyota Crown over. If they don't think it's big enough for the American market, just make a LWB version, it looks so much better than the Avalon.
Old 08-24-04, 01:25 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
I like the current Avalon better

same here, and this is pretty bad because i don't necessaryly like the way that looks, bland stylin but it's better than the supposively 2005 model
Old 08-24-04, 02:01 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks real good for an Avalon. Nice work Toyota.

-Anthony
Old 08-24-04, 02:36 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

The Avalon/ Camry are so similar they should do away w/ both of them and make the Cavalon
Old 08-24-04, 05:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Re: HERE IT IS

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Great find.
Thanks a lot SICK, i look out for my peoples.

Yeah I love the interior of this car too, It kinda reminds me of the new interior of the Audi A6. But to me the exterior has much to desire. It just seems that it wasnt well thought out. I honestly thought we were gonna get the concpt crown over here, better luck next time. Hopefully this car looks a lot better in person or in color for that matter.

You could be right, it could be a artists rendering, but doubt it. That guy who says he works at the factory says thats the real deal. Time will tell.

I'm still excited about the new 6-cylinder. Hopefully it will find its way into more cars.
Old 08-24-04, 05:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About time that's it getting a HP increase.

I owned a 97 before...i enjoyed the car....nice bang for the buck!
Old 08-29-04, 06:13 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: HERE IT IS

Originally posted by XeroK00L

The interior is gorgeous and convincingly real with all the Lexus-like touches including a gated-shifter (a first on a North American Toyota, isn't it?).
The 04 Solara (at least the V6 SLE I rode in) has a gated shifter with the plus/minus gate at the bottom (similar to the 04 LS 430). Looks great--translucent green plate against brushed alumninum, with a leather/aluminum ****.
Old 08-29-04, 08:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'm registered on Camryman.org as SuperCharged, and I'm the one who posted that picture. Toyota insiders have said that IS indeed the new Avalon. Things to expect- 3.5L V-6 with 270HP/285 lb-ft of torque and a 5AT with sequential shift. It'll be LS430 sized with options like Xenon headlights, rear reclining seats and power sunshades. It will remain FWD and on a stretched Camry chassis, but might offer AWD.

That's all we know for now.

-Michael-
Old 08-29-04, 10:34 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: HERE IT IS

Originally posted by squarehat
The 04 Solara (at least the V6 SLE I rode in) has a gated shifter with the plus/minus gate at the bottom (similar to the 04 LS 430). Looks great--translucent green plate against brushed alumninum, with a leather/aluminum ****.
Yeh, the solara interior is nice. My friend picked it over the accord. The shifter looks great, and so does the console.
Old 08-30-04, 12:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nice

Definitely keep us updated here as well. My dad is looking for a new sedan, but he doesn't like the current Avalon. He used to drive a Cressida back in the day, but he doesn't like the flashiness (to him) of a Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2005 Toyota Avalon