Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time to rejoice? D-CAT Avensis coming...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 01:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Time to rejoice? D-CAT Avensis coming...

You know you love it. You know you want it. And Toyota is finally giving it to you...This is the greatest thing they've done since introducing Lexus...Yes, the Avensis is coming, and yes, it's going to beat down your block with Toyota's new uber-tech diesel powerplant.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But then again, why in hell would Toyota go through all the trouble of conducting an EPA test on a 5-speed manual Avensis using the upcoming US-spec ultra-low-sulfur diesel (currently found in Europa) which will be sold here in 2006 if they would not be planning to sell the Avensis here? That new Toyota D-CAT powerplant is a jewel, a true work of art by the way.

Seriously, I'm about to pee in my pants. A lot. Diesel is huge everywhere but here. And now with ULSD slated to be sold here by 2006, the Germans and Japanese can finally bring their high-tech diesels over. These new diesels are ultra-high tech, and coupled with the new fuel, will no longer play second-fiddle to gas engines here in the US. Sure, it may be difficult to "unlearn" the Americans' distaste and misconceptions regarding diesel, but if gas prices keep going up, it may actually be easier for import makes to sell diesel. These new diesels are very refined, no smoke, no smell, no rough running.

I just hope the Avensis will be priced right. For now, I have put my car purchase on hold and have my fingers and toes crossed.

Here is the PDF. Thanks to BIO BUG from TDIClub.com

http://www.solarhouse.com/resources/EPAdiesel.pdf

Too much. I'm about to have a heart attack from sheer excitement.

EDIT: Under "Acknowledgements," Toyota is thanked for a "prototype." A positive sign?
EDIT II: What is this mysterious "Vehicle E"...hmm...

Last edited by SecPole14; 03-31-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-31-04, 03:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Time to rejoice? D-CAT Avensis coming...

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
You know you love it. You know you want it. And Toyota is finally giving it to you...This is the greatest thing they've done since introducing Lexus...Yes, the Avensis is coming, and yes, it's going to beat down your block with Toyota's new uber-tech diesel powerplant.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But then again, why in hell would Toyota go through all the trouble of conducting an EPA test on a 5-speed manual Avensis using the upcoming US-spec ultra-low-sulfur diesel (currently found in Europa) which will be sold here in 2006 if they would not be planning to sell the Avensis here? That new Toyota D-CAT powerplant is a jewel, a true work of art by the way.

Seriously, I'm about to pee in my pants. A lot. Diesel is huge everywhere but here. And now with ULSD slated to be sold here by 2006, the Germans and Japanese can finally bring their high-tech diesels over. These new diesels are ultra-high tech, and coupled with the new fuel, will no longer play second-fiddle to gas engines here in the US. Sure, it may be difficult to "unlearn" the Americans' distaste and misconceptions regarding diesel, but if gas prices keep going up, it may actually be easier for import makes to sell diesel. These new diesels are very refined, no smoke, no smell, no rough running.

I just hope the Avensis will be priced right. For now, I have put my car purchase on hold and have my fingers and toes crossed.

Here is the PDF. Thanks to BIO BUG from TDIClub.com

http://www.solarhouse.com/resources/EPAdiesel.pdf

Too much. I'm about to have a heart attack from sheer excitement.

EDIT: Under "Acknowledgements," Toyota is thanked for a "prototype." A positive sign?
EDIT II: What is this mysterious "Vehicle E"...hmm...

thanks for the info
Avensis are very popular in EU and yes toyota diesel technology is just awesome
Old 03-31-04, 03:51 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

looks something like this doesnt it?
Old 03-31-04, 03:56 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, from that PDF is appears that the Avensis used in that test was the previous generation, not the current one. The test of the Avensis was carried out in April 2002, well before the current gen was released. I hope they just used the old Avensis as a test mule for the new motor. Hmm, this casts some clouds of doubt in my blue sky...I hope we see the Avensis here sometime in late '05...
Old 03-31-04, 03:58 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i want this in US!!!

Old 03-31-04, 04:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota needs to do something. Toyota line up is boring now.

i dont mind driving like this one here in US actually