Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A moment of silence please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 07:01 PM
Hackman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A moment of silence please...

You guys are the ONLY ones I know of that can truly *feel* my pain. So, here goes...

Last Thursday, a dear friend (my 1991 LS400) passed from this world into the great salvage yard in the sky.<sniff>

While my wife was on her way home in the Lexus, someone turned left in front of her and, well, the attached picture tells it all. My wife was injured and is recovering but the Lexus flatlined.

So, now I've got to decide on a replacement. I love the nice, quiet of the LS. At 6' 2", I require something with room, heigth and width. I also want to stay under 20k. I'm leaning towards a '98 LS (my wife likes the round headlights).

I'm also trying to be open to any other options that I might not have considered. For example, I've always loved the look of the Jaguar XJ8.

Any advice or suggestions for me?
Attached Thumbnails A moment of silence please...-ls400.jpg  
Old 04-01-04, 07:04 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

OUCH!!! Glad your wife is alright. Good luck on your new search!
Old 04-01-04, 07:29 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

yikes!!!!! good luck with finding a new car! glad your wife wasn't seriously injured!
Old 04-01-04, 07:39 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

First, I am glad to hear that your wife is okay. Human life can not be replaced.

Second, sorry to see your LS go, I know how hard it was for me with my SC.

Third, good luck on your new choices, I'm sure you will be happy in whatever you choose.

-Anthony
Old 04-01-04, 07:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to hear your wife is ok

and ill say a prayer for your LS

good luck finding a new one
Old 04-01-04, 11:14 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to see your wife is going to be fine.

If you're lookin outside of the Lexus company, you can probably get a previous gerneration 7-series for $20k, also a 98 or 99 Audi A8 Quattro. While I love the old 7 though, they get quite costly to maintain and repair. They handle better than anything else in that class of car though.
Old 04-02-04, 04:58 AM
Hackman
Rookie

Thanks to all (ivesGS400, amy011079, Captain Bone, T.L.W., and Faraaz23) for your heartfelt condolences.

Captain Bone: What happened to your SC?

T.L.W.: Thanks for the prayer for the old LS. How about a prayer for a NEW one.

Faraaz23: Thanks for the tip. I really love the quiet, comfortable ride of the LS (plus the name recognition and incredible reliability). I've often heard that German cars "allow you to feel the road". To me, this seems to translate to "if you driver over a crack in the road you'll KNOW it!" Would that be an accurate statement?

Searching my heart of hearts, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that your tag line says it all, Faraaz23!

"Die-hard Lexus fan 4-Life
-I want a Lexus!!!!!"
Old 04-02-04, 05:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Prayers for your wife, and good luck in your search for a new LS.
Old 04-02-04, 08:32 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Hm, What happened to my 1993 SC400 Champagne with only 63K mileage... Well..

Irresponsibility Combined With An Unforseen Dip In The Road Led To A Totaled Vehicle.

September 12th of 2002. I had full coverage on the vehicle and was given 18K by the insurance company for it, which, to this day, I still can not believe. I looked for 3-4 months and found another lexus not quite as nice but it filled the void nicely. 1998 Black/Black GS300.

I hope your story also has a happy ending because I know for those 3-4 months I just didn't feel myself.

-Anthony
Old 04-02-04, 08:46 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

While the german cars have a fairly luxurious ride (i'm guessing the Audi more so than the Bimmer), you've probably been well spoiled with the LS400.... so in comparison to that, I'm sure you'll be feelin every crack! I got a chance to drive the previous design S500 as well while valet parking (the lot is conveniently about 3 blocks away from the hotel, so gave me a very good straightaway to have fun with) and while its a nice ride, I still don't think they nailed it as well as the couple LS's i've gotten to ride in. Good luck in the search!

Anothony, thats awesome you got $18,000 for a 9 year old car! Testament to how these autos hold their value. Sounds like your insurance company takes good care of you, may I ask which carrier you use?

This makes me bring the issue up, at what point do the insurance companies total out a car? We recently got into an accident with our 99 RX300 this past December, and there was $12,000 of damage, I heard rumor the cut-off is 70% of vehicle value, is this true? I almost wished they would've totaled the car because ever since we got it back, it doesn't ride the same.... many more rattles and annoying noises that weren't there before that no one seems to be fix.

Last edited by Faraaz23; 04-02-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 08:53 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

A sad day on many levels

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-02-04 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For what you would pay for a used 98 LS, you can get a newer ES300 that will have almost the same ride as the LS...and it will be cheaper to run and insure as well. The current-generation ES..which was new for 2002, I think....has a really plush interior and a nice ride...check it out and see what you think.
The only thing with the newer ES models........check out the shifting response from the transmission with the drive-by-wire system. this has been the source of some owner complaints.
If you carry a lot of weight or do any significant towing, though, you'll be better off with the LS400's rear-drive and V8.
Old 04-02-04, 10:16 AM
Hackman
Rookie

Faraaz23: Thanks for the info. You've confirmed what I've always heard.

Mmarshall: Thanks for the tip on the ES. But, from what I've found online it doesn't appear I could touch a 2002 ES for under 25 grand and that's a lot more than I want to go right now.

I just settled with the insurance company, so now I'm ready to look in earnest. At this point, I think I'll stick with an LS.

I have found a '98 locally with 70k miles that I believe is in excellent condition. It has traction control (is that standard on EVERY '98 LS?) and the Nakamichi sound system for somewhere under $19k (we ain't nee-go-shee-ated, yet)

So, what is the going price for a black/tan '98 LS with 70K and Nakamichi?
Old 04-02-04, 10:26 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Whatever your next car options are, but ................DON'T BUY JAGUAR !!!! Those newer designed LS430 looks pretty darn nice !! Beautiful rather !!!

BMW?? too much electric recalls, unless X5 4.4
Benz ?? Chrysler, only last 1 year of satisfaction and the name

Of course, this is jus my own personal opinions... Good luck with your new car shopping !!! and glad to hear that your wife is ok.

JAY
Old 04-02-04, 12:56 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Faraaz23
Anothony, thats awesome you got $18,000 for a 9 year old car! Testament to how these autos hold their value. Sounds like your insurance company takes good care of you, may I ask which carrier you use?
[/B]
Surely.

It's a shame they don't go anywhere except NJ because of NJ's lovely rates and details different from 99% of the rest of the country.

My insurance company is called New Jersey Manufacturer's. They have been awesome all the way. I'm 19 and (under my parents policy of course, but still have the GS under me) I pay 1800 annually compared to when I used to pay 1500 annually before the crash, so only a $300 increase after totalling my car and another in the accident I had isn't bad at all.

I'd refer you to them but it looks like your a little out of their territory.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: A moment of silence please...