Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Lexus LS430
96.00%
VW Phaeton V8
4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 or VW Phaeton

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Wow a surprising landslide. The LS seems to really have built a very very solid reputation for itself and setting a great example for the Lexus brand.

Old 11-12-04, 02:28 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS 430 all the way. I beleive there's nothing special about European cars have to offer that Lexus doesn't have. I dont know how much the VW would cost either, but it probably costs more than the Lex too...
Old 11-12-04, 02:32 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I'd take an A8 over an LS430 but I think I'd take the LS430 over the Phaeton even though I prefer the Phaeton's looks.
Same here; the A8 is amazing.

Between the Phaeton and LS though, I prefer the Lexus' exterior styling.

On a side note: I think IsraelRX must work for a marketing firm.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 11-12-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 05:58 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow a surprising landslide. The LS seems to really have built a very very solid reputation for itself and setting a great example for the Lexus brand.
I agree with you - but keep in mind we are on a Lexus board

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1319548

116-64 in favor of the Phaeton... not as much of a landslide though

(there's a lot of good information on that site, but the ignorance of some of members is ridiculous. I do my best to ignore them )

Also, this thread on CL was started because of the thread I just posted. If you look at the dates, the one I posted was made on 4-1-04, with this thread on CL started 4-2-04 by IsraelRX, who goes by IsraelGT on the VWVortex forums and did a standup job of representing Lexus in that thread.

Last edited by Davtown; 11-12-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 06:59 PM
LexFather

I was watching 5th gear and they tested the Phaeton. Or tried too. The thing had some issues that pissed of the reviewers.
VW= sad quality. Period. And its sad, that instead of investing and making the products better built, they choose to complete Piech's vision of VW battling benz. The "peoples' car.

There are STRONG rumors of a car above the Passat and Below the Phaeton to fill that gap. Oh and Tourag quality is a joke. U should read what these owners complain about.

Its selling even slower in Europe. This CAR was a POINTLESS exercise. THEY OWN AUDI!!!! They SELL THE A8!!!!

Old 11-12-04, 07:54 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the LS 430 anyday over the Phaeton the VW looks like a plain sedan kinda like the Acura RL if you ask me. And also the interior of the LS 430 in my opinon is the best i've been in.
Old 11-13-04, 05:42 AM
Skinny
Driver

Originally posted by Falcon LS
LS 430 all the way. I beleive there's nothing special about European cars have to offer that Lexus doesn't have. I dont know how much the VW would cost either, but it probably costs more than the Lex too...
The Phaeton Sticker is much higher than the LS430 but I believe currently, there is a $10K+ incentive to dealers from VW to move the metal. Nobody is buying them so the dealers are probably dumping them for cost or under cost to get rid of inventory. So you could theoretically get a Phaeton for maybe $20K off MSRP.

LS430 is still the better car at a more expensive out the door price. More reliable, higher quality, and you'll be able to get parts for it for years!!! not to mention better resale and dealer service. When was the last time a VW dealer was any good at servicing it's products????
Old 11-13-04, 06:12 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

this thread is old, can't imagine someone today actually trying to compare the VW Phaeton to the LS430.
Old 11-13-04, 02:17 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was surprised that Phaeton didn't have touchscreen nav.
I set in one and I have to say it's nice, but waay too many buttons.

If that car was priced at $51-53K it would have been succesful.
But still I see them on the streets of South Florida, not often but they are around.
Old 11-13-04, 04:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i have never seen phaeton on the nor cal roads
Old 11-13-04, 06:16 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link to the VW board shows the ignorance of people who think if there's more wood in a car, then it is more luxurious.

Putting my lexus biased on the side, I think you have to be an idiot if you think the Lexus interior is cheap. Before I bought my GS, I looked at the S class (window shopping), E-Class and 5 series, and I would say that the GS, which isn't even the flagship car, has an interior amd it's quality is as good as there is.

And people are always using the term "glorified Toyota" to describe Lexus. I don't get it, and what's so bad about being associated with a proven reliable product and fastest growing namesake? Heck I bet my cheap 95 Camry (with 200k miles so far and counting) will be on the road longer than any Bimmer or Benz of the same model year.
Old 11-13-04, 06:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GStateOM
The link to the VW board shows the ignorance of people who think if there's more wood in a car, then it is more luxurious.

Putting my lexus biased on the side, I think you have to be an idiot if you think the Lexus interior is cheap. Before I bought my GS, I looked at the S class (window shopping), E-Class and 5 series, and I would say that the GS, which isn't even the flagship car, has an interior amd it's quality is as good as there is.

And people are always using the term "glorified Toyota" to describe Lexus. I don't get it, and what's so bad about being associated with a proven reliable product and fastest growing namesake? Heck I bet my cheap 95 Camry (with 200k miles so far and counting) will be on the road longer than any Bimmer or Benz of the same model year.
Agreed.

I was cracking up reading comments about the LS430's "cheap interior". LOL! The only way an LS could appear cheap inside is if you've been living in a Maybach.

And if Lexus is just a fancy Toyota than fine, I'll take one. If MB and BMW each had a larger parent company, would that make them less of a car? No, of course not.
Old 11-13-04, 07:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VW=Roxy chick car . I think VW should sign a deal with Roxy to get the lame-duck Phaeton moving,
Old 11-14-04, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by whipimpin
Same here; the A8 is amazing.

Don't forget Audi's poor reliablity, though, even in spite of the excellent Quattro AWD system...which I believe is standard on the A8.
Old 11-14-04, 06:26 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

LS 430 all the way that VW shifter ....scares me!

CEO

Quick Reply: LS430 or VW Phaeton