Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need help buying a used car with a lien

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04 | 09:11 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Need help buying a used car with a lien

Hi guys, I know I'm cross posting, but I would really appreciate anyone's help/advice on this transaction I'm going to enter in.

I'm buying a 99 GS400 from a private owner. The private owner still have a loan on the car (the bank is the lien holder on the title).

What I'm worried about is TIMING........timing of transferring my hard earned $$$$ to him vs the time I get the car registered.

Please see this thread for more info https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115952

Again, I apologize for cross posting......I will delete this thread after completing the transaction.

Please post all your replies to the link above.

Thanks!
Cadd
Old 04-06-04 | 12:01 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I just finished reading the other threads you posted and I'm wondering if you got some of your concerns cleared up such as the fixing the title, inconsistent odometer reading, owner history, and engine & body check-ups.

In regards to your question about the transaction, I really can't answer it because I have no experience with this type of transaction, sorry.
Old 04-06-04 | 07:29 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

In regards to the inconsistent odo reading in carfax, I will goto Lexus to get the maintenance history (they have 7 records, all of which checks out OK). I will also bring the car in to a Lexus dealership to have them take a look it. The tech at the dealership actually owns a GS400 and may even be a member on this board. I'll also have them check to see if the car was ever damaged and repaired. I'm sure the dealership would be able to tell me whether the car was leased when it was new as well.

I will also ask the owner to provide paperwork or at least checkstubs for lease pymts he has made over the years.

If everything is on the up & up at the Lexus dealership, we go on with the deal. If not, I walk and only lose $100.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar funds transfer?