Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 INFINITI M45! (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 10:34 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2006 INFINITI M45! Just May Replace My 350Z!

All I can say is............. If this car continues to shape up like it apparently is..... This car will replace my 350Z, no question! Not only is the styling sooo Hott, but it will have class leading technology, and more hp than the current M45 (340hp). That should place it somewhere @ 350+hp I'm guesstimating. And that ladies and gents, coupled with exceptional styling, (inside & out) handling, and a great factory warranty, will make this car VERY wanted! As I'm sure you all know, the current G35 has established itself as nothing short of a force in the sports sedan segment. And I have read that this time, they have the BMW 540 squarely in their sights!
At any rate, here is an interesting tidbit about new technology that Infiniti is rolling out in the upcoming M45 and FX vehicles.
Stay tuned.............

GARDENA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 31, 2004--Infiniti, the luxury division of Nissan North America, today announced the availability later this year of a new Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system, which alerts drivers of an unintended movement of the vehicle out of a designated traffic lane. The new system, which utilizes a small camera, speed sensor, an indicator and an audible warning buzzer, will be offered this fall on 2005 models of Infiniti's popular FX crossover sport utility vehicle -- the first production application of LDW in North America. The LDW system will also be available on the next-generation M45 performance luxury sedan, which is scheduled to go on sale in spring 2005 as a 2006 model.

"Studies show that 55% of fatal accidents in the U.S. are caused by lane departure,"(a) said Robert Yakushi, Director, Product Safety, Regulatory, Accessory Quality, Nissan North America, Inc. "These are caused by various factors, including driver distraction, inattention or drowsiness. The Lane Departure Warning system generates a warning to help alert the driver that the vehicle is about to move out of its lane."

The Infiniti LDW system is temporarily disabled by driver activation of the vehicle's turn signals, which informs the syst***s control unit of intended lane changes. The system also features a manual cancel switch, which allows the driver to turn the system off when desired. The system automatically resets when the vehicle is restarted.

System Architecture

The Infiniti Lane Departure Warning system recognizes lane markings through the use of a small camera mounted behind the rearview mirror. The camera's signal and the vehicle's speed are sent to the syst***s advanced microprocessing unit, which combines the information to calculate both the distance between the vehicle and the lane marking and the lateral velocity to the lane marking. A judgment is then made as to whether the vehicle is moving out of the lane (depending on the distance and lateral velocity to the lane).

If it is determined that the vehicle is leaving the lane, both visual (indicator light located on the instrument panel) and audible (buzzer) warning signals are generated, alerting the driver to take corrective action. The system will not operate if the camera can't detect the lane markers or if vehicle's speed is below 45 miles per hour.

"Some of the typical scenarios where the Lane Departure Warning system will warn the drivers when they are not giving 100% of their attention to driving and drift out of their lanes of travel are, for example, adjusting the audio system, looking at other occupants, searching for addresses or landmarks when driving on unfamiliar roads, or when concentrating on conversations rather than driving," said Yakushi.

The Infiniti Lane Departure Warning system was developed in conjunction with Valeo SA and Iteris, Inc., the latter has previously developed LDW systems for the commercial long-haul truck industry.

About the Infiniti FX and M45

The Infiniti FX premium crossover SUV is available in three models, the FX45 with a standard 315-horsepower 4.5-liter V8 engine and advanced ATESSA ET-S(TM) all-wheel drive system, the FX35 AWD with 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and the FX35 RWD with the 3.5-liter V6.

Currently available technology and safety features include an advanced DVD-based Infiniti Navigation System, Intelligent Key with keyless entry and engine start system, Tire Pressure Monitor System and RearView monitor. The RearView monitor projects a view of what's behind the FX onto the navigation system monitor using a small camera mounted near the rear license plate (the system operates only when reverse gear is selected). Also available is Infiniti's Intelligent Cruise Control system, which uses the brakes, throttle and laser sensors, to help maintain a set distance between the FX and a vehicle in front of it.

A preview of the new, second-generation 2006 M45 will be available beginning April 8, 2004, when Infiniti debuts a show car version, the M45 Concept, at the New York International Auto Show. In addition to the new Lane Departure Warning system, the production Infiniti M45 will offer an Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage front supplemental air bags and roof-mounted side-impact curtain air bags and Brake-Operated Pre-Crash Front Seat Belts.

"Infiniti has long been a leader in utilizing technology for the benefit of the driving experience -- including our Intelligent Cruise Control, voice-recognition-based navigation and RearView monitor systems," said Mark Igo, vice president and general manger, Infiniti. "The arrival of Lane Departure Warning is an important first for Infiniti."

Here's a look at the upcoming 2005 Infiniti Flagship: Q45! Front end is waaaay NICER!
Old 04-06-04, 10:53 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope wood is an option for the interior

Last edited by BrickHead; 04-06-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 12:27 PM
TheOfficeBoy
Rookie

The front end of the M45 looks awesome, but the back end is too much like the Avalon and the G35 for my liking.

Definitely a step up from the current M45 though.
Old 04-06-04, 12:27 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

WOW....that is a beauty. It will be a really good competitor
Old 04-06-04, 12:35 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BrickHead
I hope wood is an option for the interior

Gotta agree with you there B. I like brushed alluminum, carbon fibre etc. But in a Sedan......... Give me some TIMBER & supple Leather all day long!
Old 04-06-04, 12:39 PM
Lvangundy

Looks like a squatting horse (?) from the rear to me.

Don't ask. LOL. I like the current M45 very much, although as usual I'm sure it will grow on me.

BTW - Nissan is no longer going to market the "_shift" or whatever slogan anymore. I heard some marketing people from Nissan say it's out the window a few days ago.

Old 04-06-04, 12:41 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

wow! that looks great! I really like that.
Old 04-06-04, 12:41 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Gotta agree with you there B. I like brushed alluminum, carbon fibre etc. But in a Sedan......... Give me some TIMBER & supple Leather all day long!
The wood is probably an option. I saw other pictures of the interior with wood trim as well as the aluminum
Old 04-06-04, 12:54 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

The interior is very HOT!!!!
The exterior doesn't get me all hot and bothered, I'd take the new GS over it anyday.
Old 04-06-04, 12:57 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Infiniti M45 concept pics released

You can find them (and a discussion about them) here:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

There's no mention of an available manual transmission, but otherwise this car looks fantastic to me. Now we just need to see what Acura has in store with the new RL in the next couple of days. One thing's pretty much for sure, though...I will almost certainly be moving on from my GS430 to another brand, sad as it makes me.

Last edited by SCWells72; 04-06-04 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 01:03 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Another Maxima clone! (half kidding)

It's nice, but nothing that exciting IMO.

Now, this QX56 looks interesting:

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-12001,00.html
Old 04-06-04, 01:04 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

looks good but isnt this in the wrong forum ?
Old 04-06-04, 01:05 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LEXISM
looks good but isnt this in the wrong forum ?
This post may get moved to off-topic or something, but there's been a very strong interest in the M35/M45 by GS owners since the Fuga concept was first shown. I figured it was worth putting this right out in the open at least for starters.
Old 04-06-04, 01:09 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Default tail light??

those tail lights are not the greatest thing to my eyes

look @ some of that forum...., group mind....

just a thought, is new = best ?
Old 04-06-04, 01:31 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Can you imagine a Silver one with my Silver 19' GT-7's installed?

Quick Reply: 2006 INFINITI M45! (merged threads)