Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Honda testing aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 08:33 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Toyota, Honda testing aircraft

Delaware News-Journal 04/05/04
author: Los Angeles Times

The Toyota Motor Corp. and the Honda Motor Co., Japan's largest and second-largest car companies, are separately and secretly developing jet airplanes.

Operating out of a small airstrip in Greensboro, N.C., Honda has begun test-flying the HondaJet. It's a prototype of a six-passenger, highly efficient, low-cost aircraft. Toyota has been secretly test-flying a propeller-driven, four-passenger plane over California's Mojave Desert.

Both companies are intensely competitive and secretive.

Analysts and aviation experts say both automakers have far greater ambitions than they have let on, and that's ruffling the staid general aviation industry. Half a dozen start-up companies are attempting to develop low-cost airplanes, too.

Getting into the market is notoriously difficult. Since the 1960s, only one all-new company, Brazil's Embraer, has been created and succeeded in delivering more than one jet a month, according to aerospace research firm Teal Group.

Yet the Japanese automakers have the financial resources and engineering prowess that could make them formidable players in aviation, industry officials and analysts said.

Toyota has been working with legendary designer Burt Rutan, who has built pioneering aircraft such as the Voyager, which flew around the world on one tank of fuel.

Honda, which began as a maker of motorcycles in the 1940s, has diversified and now makes everything from lawnmowers to generators, watercraft, snow blowers, outboard motors and water pumps.
Old 04-06-04, 09:20 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool news. I think Toyota is betting on the right horse for choosing to work with Burt Rutan.
Old 04-07-04, 11:33 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

This should be good. I've actually always wondered what a well engineered aircraft from Toyota would be like and I guess I'll find out. I cant believe Honda didnt start making aircrafts earlier...they already make just about everything else anyways

Last edited by jimmit; 04-07-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-04, 04:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, If Toyota and Honda do develop aircraft, they're way behind Saab on this one. Saab has been building combat jets for the Swedish Air Force since the late 1940's and twin-engined turboprop commuter airliners for several decades now. In fact, the driver wrap-around dash in many of their cars was taken from their aircraft designs.
Old 04-08-04, 04:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They are also way behind Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi built aircraft for the Japanese military in the late 30's through World War II, including the famous Zero fighter that, unfortunately, killed so many of our own pilots. Today Mitsubishi builds the MU-2 twin-engine executive transport.
Old 04-08-04, 08:36 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I guess that also means they're behind FHI/Subaru because Boeing and Airbus outsource major parts of their 767/777 and A380 (respectively) to them. FHI also makes attack helicopters, etc.

I wouldn't say they're "way behind" anybody. They're simply divirsifying. Good for them.
Old 04-10-04, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I guess that also means they're behind FHI/Subaru because Boeing and Airbus outsource major parts of their 767/777 and A380 (respectively) to them. FHI also makes attack helicopters, etc.

I wouldn't say they're "way behind" anybody. They're simply divirsifying. Good for them.
OK, depends on how you use the term.....whether it is "way behind" or "just getting a late start" or whatever.......I agree, the main thing is not necessarily the timing but just the hope of getting Toyota and Honda-quality aircraft. I am licensed pilot and a former ground school instructor myself and would also like to see this kind of quality in General-Aviation planes...not just corporate jets. While airframes are generally durable, a lot of the hardware and electronics in small Cessna, Piper, Mooney, etc...aircraft is simply junk.
Old 04-11-04, 12:16 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

heres some honda jet pics..

http://www.honda.co.jp/news/2003/c031216b-hondajet.html
Old 04-11-04, 12:17 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

heres a video

http://www.honda.co.jp/HDTV/tech/pr-HondaJet/
Old 04-11-04, 01:37 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Toyota, Honda testing aircraft

Originally posted by LexusLuver
Delaware News-Journal 04/05/04
author: Los Angeles Times

The Toyota Motor Corp. and the Honda Motor Co., Japan's largest and second-largest car companies, are separately and secretly developing jet airplanes.
I guess I'm mistaken, but I thought Honda was smaller than Nissan...