Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus Elise sold out

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 10:00 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lotus Elise sold out

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_longawa...year/index.htm

Lotus finally is ready to launch its featherweight Elise roadster in North America.

Razor-sharp Elise first entry-level Lotus in more than a decade.

BIRMINGHAM, AL – Those who wonder whether tiny Lotus Cars USA. can shift a couple of thousand or so of its razor-edged, unapologetically Spartan – and not exactly inexpensive – new 2-seat roadster, the Elise, need speculate no longer.

Lotus executives say at the Elise’s North American press launch here that the company’s miniscule dealer network has nearly 2,000 deposits for the flyweight Elise, a car that has had enthusiasts clamoring for North American availability since the first-generation car’s launch in Europe in 1996.

The maximum number of the new cars Elise anticipates delivering to North America in full-year production is about 2,200-2,400 units.

“We’re fairly close to being sold out for a year,” says Mark O’Shaughnessy, director-sales and marketing, Lotus Cars USA.

The Group Lotus factory in the U.K., where the Elise is effectively hand-built, has an annual capacity of about 5,000 units.

O’Shaughnessy says the company’s 39 U.S. dealers and three in Canada cover some 29 major markets. Several dealers, most of whom already sell other exotic nameplates such as Lamborghini or Ferrari, each have taken deposits from nearly 200 customers committed to owning the first “entry level” Lotus since the star-crossed Elan was dropped in 1991.

The ’05 Elise – the second generation of the roadster but the first to come to North America – goes on sale June 15 for a base price of $39,985. The car, which in base form weighs less than a ton, is so focused on the renowned Lotus design goal of light weight that indulgences like power windows – even carpeting – are available only in an option package.

The company expects 40% of early buyers to be so hardcore in their adherence to Lotus’ philosophy that they will spend extra for the Elise’s sport package, which, in addition to further firming an already no-nonsense suspension, includes forged wheels that shave about 20 lbs. (9 kg) from the car’s total weight.

The sport-package Elise is nearly 500 lbs. lighter than a Mazda Miata and a stunning 900 lbs. (363 kg) lighter than Porsche’s Boxster S, which the Elise outperforms in 0-60 mph (97 km/h) and quarter-mile acceleration.

An Elise with all the available options, including a 36-lb. (16-kg) hard top that bolts in place of the removable standard canvas roof, will top out at around $45,000. Considering that car enthusiasts in general and Lotus aficionados in particular have waited a long time for the Elise to cross the Atlantic, it appears to be a sellers’ market.

“ We’re not driving the bus on that one,” O’Shaughnessy says. “Dealers can charge what they want,” he adds, noting the bulging order book, number of apparently serious deposits and pent-up demand have created a climate ripe for dealers to charge higher-than-MSRP prices for the new Elise.

“The Elise is an exotic car, but it’s relatively affordable because of the simplicity,” he says.

The Elise that comes to North America is powered by a Toyota Motor Corp.-supplied 1.8L DOHC 4-cyl. that generates 190 hp at 7,800 rpm and 138 lb.-ft. (181 Nm) of torque at 6,800 rpm.

The same engine Toyota employs in its Celica and Matrix is sufficient to impart the featherweight Lotus with supercar performance: 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds and a 150-mph (241-km/h) top speed.

Last edited by LexusLuver; 04-07-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-07-04, 11:43 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit! This was the one exotic sports car I really love and could actually afford in a few years and its pretty much sold out. I guess I should start looking for a used one or start saving up for the new Esprit
Old 04-07-04, 01:08 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

great car
Old 04-07-04, 01:34 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great car!!!
It sucks that I don't fit in one.
Old 04-10-04, 12:32 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looked hot and everything in the magazines from the exterior, but when I saw the interior from the LA Auto show I had mixed feelings. It kinda looked like sheet metal in the inside/
Old 04-10-04, 08:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default SOLD OUT ? !

This is ridiculous.....I don't care how "Hot" or "Limited production" or 'Supply-and-Demand" or anything else a car is.....it is foolish, in my opinion, to buy or order a car without an inspection and a test-drive, just to be able to be the first one on your block to own one, or "Get 'em while they last". First, without a test-drive, how do you know what the comfort level, room, driving feel, etc...is going to be, and if it will be to your liking? What will the visibility out the windows be like? What is the potential dealer service department going to be like? Can you live with the car once you have it? Can you afford the payments...... (or the purchase price)? Especially with a low-slung car like the Lotus, will it fit in the car wash? (if you don't wash it yourself). Dealers often require a large deposit on a car like this, which may or may NOT be refundable if you change your mind. Once you get the car, you may find you don't really like it at all....this is called "Buyer's Remorse". ....I've seen this tiime and time again. I could go on and on, but I don't have room here to list all the reasons why one should LOOK at a car and DRIVE it first before he/she orders one.
This gets back to what I posted in another thread about being too quick to get "Image" cars. You are actually buying a car......a product, not an image........and more than likely, you're going to have to live with that purchase for quite some time once you have it.....so make sure you KNOW what you are getting.