Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

test drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 03:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default test drive

I'm planning to get another car. No, I'm not getting rid of either Lexus (unless I get an offer I can't refuse). I want another sporty but new car. Not many choices out there. I'm considering the G35, 350Z and the RX8.
I test drove the RX8 yesterday. I was surpirsed to discover I fit comfortable enough in it, I'm 6-2 275lbs, didn't think I would fit in the thing. Also discovered it has pretty good off the line power. Not great but very acceptable (I was in the 6 speed manual). Handling was pretty good as expected from a squat, low and relatively light car (it's not too light). Turns were stable. Tosses around decently.
Here's the big problem. No torgue(is that spelled right?) On the interstate, I was traveling at 90. Came up on some traffic. Saw an opening an tried to downshift and squirt through (the salesman was squirming a bit). I downshifted and hit the gas. Nothing. Very little acceleration. I like the look of it though, it's different.
It's now in third place because of the lack of torque.
Old 04-11-04, 08:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I like the G35 or 350Z...if I had to pick just one, probably the G35.
Old 04-11-04, 08:43 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RA40
I like the G35 or 350Z...if I had to pick just one, probably the G35.
Same here I really like the G35 its a solid buy, has great performance and its a looker! I like its styling alot better than the 350, the longer wheelbase gives it a nice look!
Old 04-11-04, 10:13 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I notice you didn't mention the Honda S2000. It's right there in your price range, and its got more HP than the rx-8.
Old 04-11-04, 10:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Easy question for me It's a better value than the Z for sure.
Old 04-11-04, 10:22 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SexySC
Easy question for me It's a better value than the Z for sure.
Good point
Old 04-12-04, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: test drive

Originally posted by reggiek
I'm planning to get another car. No, I'm not getting rid of either Lexus (unless I get an offer I can't refuse). I want another sporty but new car. Not many choices out there. I'm considering the G35, 350Z and the RX8.
I test drove the RX8 yesterday. I was surpirsed to discover I fit comfortable enough in it, I'm 6-2 275lbs, didn't think I would fit in the thing. Also discovered it has pretty good off the line power. Not great but very acceptable (I was in the 6 speed manual). Handling was pretty good as expected from a squat, low and relatively light car (it's not too light). Turns were stable. Tosses around decently.
Here's the big problem. No torgue(is that spelled right?) On the interstate, I was traveling at 90. Came up on some traffic. Saw an opening an tried to downshift and squirt through (the salesman was squirming a bit). I downshifted and hit the gas. Nothing. Very little acceleration. I like the look of it though, it's different.
It's now in third place because of the lack of torque.
90 on the interstate and you STILL wanted to accelerate?
I'm really surprised the salesperson let you go that fast...for several reasons. First, the speed limit was probably well below that. Second, if this was a brand-new car, the RPM should be kept below 4000 or so for the first thousand miles. Third, in an accident under those conditions, the dealer's insurance might be questionable. Yours, I don't know...it varies with different policies.
But...your torque question. Mazda rotary engines are somewhat like Honda and Toyota VTEC engines....mostly high-RPM power and not much torque at low RPM. Like the Honda S2000, the power starts to kick in around 6000 RPM or so....which should not be done until after break-in anyway.
Now I know....your reply is going to be ....."Well, how can I really test the power on a new-car test-drive if the engine is so RPM-limited?" Yes...this is a good question.....but I'm not an engineer, and that is what the engineers say....to get proper seating of the piston rings (and of the rotor tip seals in a rotary engine) during break-in, you should vary the engine speed and not exceed 4000 RPM or so. I mean....you may not be buying that car....but someone else is.
Old 04-12-04, 03:59 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: test drive

Originally posted by mmarshall
90 on the interstate and you STILL wanted to accelerate?
I'm really surprised the salesperson let you go that fast...for several reasons. First, the speed limit was probably well below that. Second, if this was a brand-new car, the RPM should be kept below 4000 or so for the first thousand miles. Third, in an accident under those conditions, the dealer's insurance might be questionable. Yours, I don't know...it varies with different policies.
But...your torque question. Mazda rotary engines are somewhat like Honda and Toyota VTEC engines....mostly high-RPM power and not much torque at low RPM. Like the Honda S2000, the power starts to kick in around 6000 RPM or so....which should not be done until after break-in anyway.
Now I know....your reply is going to be ....."Well, how can I really test the power on a new-car test-drive if the engine is so RPM-limited?" Yes...this is a good question.....but I'm not an engineer, and that is what the engineers say....to get proper seating of the piston rings (and of the rotor tip seals in a rotary engine) during break-in, you should vary the engine speed and not exceed 4000 RPM or so. I mean....you may not be buying that car....but someone else is.
It was the salesman who told me to "hang it out." I don't think he knew how well I could drive at fast speeds. I too know you shouldn't drive a car too hard until it's broken in. He told me I could and I did. I had just bought a Mazda6 for my mom, that may have had something to do with it. Even after it's broken in, I don't think the power is going to improve too much.
Old 04-12-04, 04:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default test drive

Originally posted by 0l33l
I notice you didn't mention the Honda S2000. It's right there in your price range, and its got more HP than the rx-8.
Don't like convertibles.
Old 04-12-04, 04:34 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

G35 = More luxurious, and a backseat

3-fitty-Z = Sportier, and cheaper

Performance is pretty much the same, I think the 350 is a little better. Styling could go either way.

It's a really tough choice, but either way you'll get an awesome looking, fast car with an AWESOME engine.

Oh yea, dont get an automatic...please...please dont
Old 04-12-04, 04:41 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Re: test drive

Originally posted by mmarshall
...if this was a brand-new car, the RPM should be kept below 4000 or so for the first thousand miles....to get proper seating of the piston rings (and of the rotor tip seals in a rotary engine) during break-in, you should vary the engine speed and not exceed 4000 RPM or so. I mean....you may not be buying that car....but someone else is.
If this is really the case, then wouldn't you expect the dealerships to not offer "test" drives in the new cars until it has passed the 1K mark? Personally I would care less about the car since I am merely "test" driving it, but would want to make sure that it meets my expectations when taking it out...and that includes lot's of acceleration, high RPMs, etc... If the car falls apart in the process, then I consider the "test" drive a valuable tool in ensuring that I am wisely spending my money on a competent product. I do agree that you probably should not go to an extreme and risk an accident, but definitely push the car, because it's too late once you have bought it to return it...it's not like a purchase from Costco or something. for a lot of people, this is the second largest purchase people make next to a home...you really want to make sure your decision is a correct one...and this is simply one of the tools to help that process.

Of course, when you do get the new car...drive it below the RPM range, etc, etc...because you own it now!
Old 04-12-04, 06:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: test drive

Originally posted by KVA
[
Of course, when you do get the new car...drive it below the RPM range, etc, etc...because you own it now! [/B]
I am a very experienced buyer. I have bought a car every 2 or 3 years. Here's what you do when it's time. To make sure no one have driven the heck out of the car you may end up with, order one that's not in the lot. For example...you see no black ones, order black. When it comes it's coming for you.
Old 04-13-04, 04:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: test drive

Originally posted by KVA
If this is really the case, then wouldn't you expect the dealerships to not offer "test" drives in the new cars until it has passed the 1K mark? Personally I would care less about the car since I am merely "test" driving it, but would want to make sure that it meets my expectations when taking it out...and that includes lot's of acceleration, high RPMs, etc... If the car falls apart in the process, then I consider the "test" drive a valuable tool in ensuring that I am wisely spending my money on a competent product. I do agree that you probably should not go to an extreme and risk an accident, but definitely push the car, because it's too late once you have bought it to return it...it's not like a purchase from Costco or something. for a lot of people, this is the second largest purchase people make next to a home...you really want to make sure your decision is a correct one...and this is simply one of the tools to help that process.

Of course, when you do get the new car...drive it below the RPM range, etc, etc...because you own it now!
The car is not going to "fall apart", as you put it, just from a couple of fast starts, hard corners, etc....on a test-drive. What is more likely to happen is that the rings, rotor tips, or brake pad just won't seat properly, and then the car could end up being an oil user or with poor brake performance. I guess it's just a difference in our two opinions and philosophies. Your attitude is one of indifference since it is not "your car". I take the attitude that if a salesperson or dealership is courteous enough to give a test-drive.....particularly alone without a salesperson (and many dealerships trust me alone with their cars), the least I can do is not abuse one of their brand-new products....even if I don't buy it, someone else will...and they will be spending hard-earned money for it just like me.

Now, having said that,...... you do make one point: If you just drive like Grandma you're not going to know how it reacts in an emergency....which is why I usually do at least one or two hard corners during a typical test-drive....and I drive LOTS of new cars as a part-time auto consultant.
Old 04-13-04, 08:55 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not trying to be indifferent, I am just saying that the test drive, etc... is a part/cost of doing business and creating more sales opportunities because they believe in what they are selling...I would never go out to destroy a car, but I will want to make sure that the car is something I want and has all the characteristics I need. The test cars are simply a tool used in the sales process...and I would never buy the test car!
Old 04-13-04, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Some dealerships have what are called "demonstrators" or simply 'demos" which are used specifically FOR test-drives and nothing else. (sometimes the salespeople take them home at night). After they get about 4000-5000 miles on them, the dealers unload them for way below list....but the miles on them and the fact that the they were demos and perhaps driven hard justifies the low price....and potential buyers know that.....or SHOULD know that.

Quick Reply: test drive