Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Convertibles on the Rise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:26 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertibles on the Rise...

Is it me or are there more car companies trying to break into the "convertible" market?

check out this Buick Velite concept convertible:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autosho...ts/index5.html

Don't get me wrong, I love my SC430, have received many comments on the smooth lines, front hood and retractable top. The "real" interior burled walnut and plush leather really puts "Ohs" and "Wows" on their faces. I'm glad I chose this car. It's a keeper and I plan to keep it forever.

As I look at these new concept convertibles like the Pontiac Soltice, Buick Velite and others, will they ever be able to match the sophisttication and level of luxury/comfort of our SC430's?

I think, as SC430 owners, we have pretty much the best of the best, the top of the line, and we are fortunate to have such luxurious accomadations when Lexus engineered this vehicle.

I've read many convertible topics on SL500/SLK320/SLK350/CLK430, Jaguar XK8, M3, Caddy XLR, Crossfire, 350z Roadster, Sebring, Miata, MR2, PT Cruiser, Mustang, VW Bug and so on. They are have their own style and flavor, price, comfort and performance.

As more convertibles are becoming popular and new concepts are becoming reality, will the SC430 lose it's popularity that it currently has today in the long run?

On the market today, Does any convertible in terms of luxury, interior design, performance and comfort that can match or step up another notch compared to our SC430's?

Thanks.....teeman3
'03 SC430 Millenium Silver
Old 04-14-04, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

Convertibles are flourishing today for several reasons. First, they are quite popular with younger people and females in general. Second, much of the country's growth in the auto and truck market has been in Sun Belt states. Third, advances in computer-aided design, new metal alloys, and the application of racing technology to street car design has enabled engineers to design much lighter, stronger convertible frames to help resist that old convertible bugaboo....cowl shake. Fourth, built-in roll bars and side air-bags have helped address the roll-over safety issue. Fifth, more people can afford convertibles today with their higher prices. Sixth ( and this is very significant ), some manufacturers are turning to convertibles to help bolster lagging sales of their sedan and coupe counterparts. Two good examples of this are the new PT Cruiser and New Beetle convertibles coming out. They have been brought to market at least partly to help reverse the downturn in Beetle and PT Cruiser sales last year....to re-stir up interest in them once again like there was several years ago.
Old 04-14-04, 12:11 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny you mention the PT Cruiser, I was thinking about that car as I read both posts. I think the one thing MMarshal forgot to mention was the markup on convertibles being very attactive to dealers, ie the PTCuriser Turbo GT goes for about 30k fully loaded!! For a PT cruiser people!! LOL

'Verts are definitely on the rise!