Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lego model

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 12:34 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lego model

Lego Volvo.

http://car.kak.net/modules.php?file=...dload&sid=1662

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (VCNA) and LEGOLAND California are joining forces to promote driving safety and family values. As part of the recently announced partnership agreement between the subsidiaries of the two Scandinavian icons, a replica of Volvo's award-winning SUV, the Volvo XC90, was constructed of LEGO's famous modeling bricks. The Volvo XC90 made of LEGO bricks was unveiled today at the New York Auto Show. How many LEGO bricks does it take to build a full-size SUV? The astute calculator with the correct answer will be announced at the vehicle dedication ceremony at LEGOLAND California. The event is scheduled for May 1, 2004, at the family entertainment theme park, located in Carlsbad, California, just north of San Diego.

The Volvo XC90 made of LEGO bricks was built by LEGO Master Model Builders, members of an elite team of talented artists who design, create and maintain the thousands of LEGO brick models at LEGOLAND California. Constructed at the U.S. headquarters for LEGO Systems, Inc. in Enfield, Conn., the Master Builders began production of the Volvo XC90 in January 2004. Noted as one of the top-three most gratifying projects of its kind for the Master Builders, the intricate stages of assembly were captured with time-lapse photography.

As the recognized leader of safety in the automotive industry, Volvo is the "Official Car" of LEGOLAND California and will work with the theme park to bring messages of driving safety to the park's 1.3 million annual visitors. The Volvo XC90 made of LEGO bricks, although not drivable, will stand at the park entrance as a symbol of the two companies' commitment to safety and family.

"The partnership is a perfect fit with our 'Drive - for Life' initiative that focuses on affecting driver behavior and safety," said Vic Doolan, president and CEO of VCNA. "We will be working with LEGOLAND to develop innovative safety awareness activities."

Recently, LEGOLAND's popular Driving School (ages 6 to 13) and its Jr. Driving School (ages 3 to 5) were reintroduced to carry Volvo's name and reputation for safety. These popular park attractions offer children the opportunity to drive electric-powered vehicles made to look like LEGO bricks within the controlled environment of the drive course. The rules of the road are emphasized, as well as good safety habits such as buckling up seatbelts.

"By encouraging safety as a learned behavior at an early age, we all benefit - it's never too early to learn about the rules of the road," said Doolan.

"We specialize in family education and entertainment," said John Jakobsen, president and GM of LEGOLAND California. "Our partnership with Volvo brings the type of quality and reputation that our visitors expect from their experience in the park. We could almost consider our driving programs a public service, in addition to fun and adventure," he said.

VCNA, part of the Volvo Car Corporation of Gothenburg, Sweden, provides marketing, sales, parts, service, technology and training support to Volvo automobile retailers in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico.

In addition to the award-winning XC90, the Volvo automobile line is comprised of: the 2004.5 all-new S40 sedan; the sporty S60 sedan - including the award-winning performance sedan - S60 R, and its performance wagon counterpart - the V70 R; the flagship S80 luxury sedan; versatile V70 wagon and rugged XC70 (Cross Country); the C70 convertible; and, the compact S40 and V40 models.

LEGOLAND California is a 128-acre theme park geared specifically towards youngsters ages two through 12. With more than 50 family rides, "hands-on" attractions and shows, LEGOLAND California provides education, adventure and fun in this first park of its kind in the United States.

In addition to LEGOLAND California, there are three other LEGOLAND parks in the world - LEGOLAND Billund in Denmark; LEGOLAND Windsor, outside of London; and LEGOLAND Deutschland in Germany.
Old 04-17-04, 09:38 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that is pretty cool... i always loved legos in my younger years but i can't say i ever made anything to this scale!
Old 04-17-04, 10:33 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by adidas1532
now that is pretty cool... i always loved legos in my younger years but i can't say i ever made anything to this scale!
me neither... although considering how many pieces I have left from my younger years I should be able to at least build a Toyota Vitz
Old 04-17-04, 12:19 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like the wheels/tires are real--did they build it on top of an actual XC90 frame? I guess if the wheels were Legos and the truck couldn't be rolled, then it would be very hard to move.
Old 04-17-04, 12:55 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Wow.. thats so cool! I always used to love legos too
Old 04-17-04, 01:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

kinda looks like bad computer graphics
Old 04-17-04, 01:49 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JLSC4
kinda looks like bad computer graphics
...or that honda element commercial
Old 04-17-04, 01:59 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

haha thats pretty koo.. nice find!
Old 04-18-04, 06:34 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I want to see a picture of it.
Old 04-18-04, 09:22 PM
phluid
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS4fun
I want to see a picture of it.
Did you click on the link to the article? There are several pictures there..
Old 04-19-04, 02:51 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Why though...is that what Volvo is spending their R&D money on?

Last edited by chicagoblknazn; 04-20-04 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-19-04, 07:44 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by phluid
Did you click on the link to the article? There are several pictures there..
Sorry, i missed that. Thanks!