Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: sti or evo8
sti
47.37%
evo8
52.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

sti or evo8

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04 | 02:10 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ISinnXL
i m a bit biased, if acura ever imported DC5 Type R (RSX R) into state, i wouldnt ever look at those evo or sti. i know type R is not as fast as Evo nor STi, but gotta love K20A N/A power.
hell yea to that!

oh yea and i voted for teh evo since i prefer the exterior styling, well except for the atlezzas, but that can be fixed with some nice jdm reds.

Last edited by MrIan; 04-18-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-18-04 | 07:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TruenoHatchiRok
hell yea to that!

oh yea and i voted for teh evo since i prefer the exterior styling, well except for the atlezzas, but that can be fixed with some nice jdm reds.
LOL i think we are the only 2 who appreiciate DC5 R on this board
Old 04-18-04 | 11:31 PM
LexFather

Wait, the EVO MR is coming, which is to the EVO what the STI is to the WRX.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=02840920

6 speed instead of a 5 and upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails sti or evo8-mitsumr.jpg  
Old 04-19-04 | 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Sti, hands down

The Sti is a better choice....for several reasons. First, Subaru's build quality is generally better than Mitsubishi's. Second, Subaru put the turbo intercooler high up under the hood instead of down low behind the front air dam like Mitsubishi did, where it is exposed to road debris and impact damage. Third, the Subaru has 30 more HP...300 vs. 271. Forth, although the Evo is quicker around the corners and on a winding road course, it gets its handling with a rock-hard suspension that is virtually to race-car standards, and it will pound the living daylights out of you on a rough road. The Subaru is slightly slower around the corners and can't pull quite as many G's, but it is more civilized as a daily driver...and it will take the Evo in a straight line. Fifth, the Sti has what has to be one of the world's best production car seats for the driver...sit in it and you'll see.....it fits just like a glove.
The only thing the Evo gives you that Subaru doesn't is a standard sound system and floormats....and if you want these bad enough you can get them aftermarket at an auto-parts store.
Old 04-19-04 | 09:33 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

STi for a few reasons. one being it's a boxer. the second reason being..i already drive a subaru
Old 04-19-04 | 02:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

If it wasn't for the Recaro seats and Momo steering wheel, you will never know if you're in an Evo or a Lancer.

EVO is easier to mod but STi packs more power in stock form. 2.5 liter is what that little 4G63 needs. And I feel that the STi seats are more comfortable compared to the EVO seats.

EVO's exteriors are limited. There are very few bodykits, and most of them don't look good. IMO the STi looks better in stock form, and even better fixed up. The interior is also better.

The only reason I would get EVO over STi is because of it's engine, which has a huge support of aftermarket parts. Other than that, STi all the way.

but EVO MR is coming and that could stir things up.
Old 04-19-04 | 06:26 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

I voted Sti. I have friends with both. The evo's seem to beat the sti's in autocross (at least in my area), on street/track. But, change surfaces and the Sti is the winnar. BUT, the evo's suffer from horrible paint quality, clutch issues, warranty coverage issues, etc. -- Both evo owners I know have paint and clutch problems. The sti owner has the better quality ride imo. Not to mention I have a relative who is a buyer for toyota and once worked at mitsu. He will never buy a mitsubishi after seeing their quality standards in both purchasing and assembly. As an engineer and a buyer, I trust his judgment. Just my .02, but if you're coming from lexus quality, make sure you can live with your decision for the full term of your ownership.

best o luck
Old 04-20-04 | 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by roguenode
I voted Sti. I have friends with both. The evo's seem to beat the sti's in autocross (at least in my area), on street/track. But, change surfaces and the Sti is the winnar. BUT, the evo's suffer from horrible paint quality, clutch issues, warranty coverage issues, etc. -- Both evo owners I know have paint and clutch problems. The sti owner has the better quality ride imo. Not to mention I have a relative who is a buyer for toyota and once worked at mitsu. He will never buy a mitsubishi after seeing their quality standards in both purchasing and assembly. As an engineer and a buyer, I trust his judgment. Just my .02, but if you're coming from lexus quality, make sure you can live with your decision for the full term of your ownership.

best o luck
Yes, Mitsu quality often leaves a lot to be desired........the Eclipse, in particular, was, and is, a poorly made car.....even though the last version with the AWD and turbo was popular with tuners and the caps-on-backward crowd. Mitsubishi should consider a SMT, BMW-style, for the Evo...that may help alleviate some of the clutch problems.
Old 04-20-04 | 01:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, Mitsu quality often leaves a lot to be desired........the Eclipse, in particular, was, and is, a poorly made car.....even though the last version with the AWD and turbo was popular with tuners and the caps-on-backward crowd. Mitsubishi should consider a SMT, BMW-style, for the Evo...that may help alleviate some of the clutch problems.
SMT,SMG, F1 style is old news now. they should put DSG on it
but it's not cheap
just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-04 | 02:20 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default the mr

i spoke to a dealership and its gonna be alot cheaper, and they will be on lots in about 3 weeks. excited, might try and lease one if i can't sell my SC3 soon for a supra.
Old 04-20-04 | 06:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: the mr

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
i spoke to a dealership and its gonna be alot cheaper, and they will be on lots in about 3 weeks. excited, might try and lease one if i can't sell my SC3 soon for a supra.
a lot cheaper than C4?
if that is a lot cheaper than EVO8

it will probably be RS version. there's no way MR would be cheaper than regular EVO8 since it is way fully loaded. i m thinking about getting RS version too. RS is basically regular EVO without all those interior options such as powerwindows,HID, AC, stuff like that. it will starts around 25K i believe but the best part is
0-60 in less than 4.5S and low 13 quarter mile time and faster than any sub 70K cars out there
Old 04-20-04 | 06:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

the MR starts around 31K

better medium-to-high-rpm power and substantial weight reductions by using aluminum wherever possible. Look for the U.S. version to start around $31,000.
Old 04-20-04 | 10:26 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

adjustable hid, adjustable hid, adjustable hid ^^
Old 04-20-04 | 10:27 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

rock-hard suspension that is virtually to race-car standards, and it will pound the living daylights out of you on a rough road.

hahahah @___@
Old 04-21-04 | 08:53 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

that's funny. and this was me getting dizzy @_____@ on the rough road

Quick Reply: sti or evo8