Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bmw X3

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 03:31 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw X3

I know these things are little, but I heard somewhere they were offered with a diesel... IMO that seems like it would make an excellent year round daily and roadtrip vehicle (I LOVE diesel).

Unfortunately I can't find information anywhere on the diesel engine offered or pricing. The BMW website doesn't have it, and neither does edmunds. I believe it was Car and Driver TV that was talking about it, so I assume it was correct information.

Do any of you guys have links to any info on it?! I would get a diesel Touraeg but they are $65k!!!

-Ethan

Last edited by Ebanks; 04-20-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 03:43 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A business partner just picked up one 2 weeks ago, well not diesel.... I noticed a silver 3 series in the parking lot this morning....

Naturally being a Lexus fan I say "In the shop already?"

Glim look, he nods. I say, you should have bought a Lexus. His wife wanted the X3......

He had a small shopping list of issues, as of 4pm they called and said they couldn't fix anything, the major one being the very hard turn over\starting on the colder mornings, they said they found nothing wrong with the engine.... A little bit after 4pm I get a note "I should have bought a Lexus"

This is going to make for some awesome badgering I can already tell!!
Old 04-20-04, 07:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Bmw X3

Originally posted by Ebanks
I know these things are little, but I heard somewhere they were offered with a diesel... IMO that seems like it would make an excellent year round daily and roadtrip vehicle (I LOVE diesel).

Unfortunately I can't find information anywhere on the diesel engine offered or pricing. The BMW website doesn't have it, and neither does edmunds. I believe it was Car and Driver TV that was talking about it, so I assume it was correct information.

Do any of you guys have links to any info on it?! I would get a diesel Touraeg but they are $65k!!!

-Ethan
does VW starts offer V10 diesel tourage now in states?
i dont think BMW offeres choice of diesel in the united states either ( it would be great if they do)
the only diesel from VW is TDI jetta i think
i love diesel too. TORQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
oh i think MB USA would starts offering diesel for E class within a year or so.
Old 04-20-04, 09:44 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

The V10 TDi Toureag has been out for a few months now, and the show I was watching (Car and Driver TV) specifically said the diesel X3 is available in the US market.

-Ethan
Old 04-21-04, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re: Re: Bmw X3

Originally posted by ISinnXL
i dont think BMW offeres choice of diesel in the united states either ( it would be great if they do)
VW offers the TDI (direct injection diesel) in a number of their American products....the only manufacturer to do so outside of full-size pickups and SUV's. There is a diesel Golf, a diesel Jetta, a diesel Beetle, a diesel Touraeg, and, I believe, a Passat too.
Mercedes offers an E-Class diesel...or will very shortly. The big obstacles to selling diesels in the U.S. have been cheap gasoline and a lack of high-quality low-sulfur fuel here.....most of the diesel fuel sold here (except for VW) has been for large trucks and diesel railroad locomotives. By 2006 we will have low-sulfur diesel fuel in production here, and you will then start to see MANY more diesels coming over here from Europe and Japan.
Old 04-21-04, 08:00 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Don't you guys think the X3 is a little.........how do I put it nicely.......ugly?
Ethan, the V10TDI would be more your style!!
Old 04-21-04, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Richie
Don't you guys think the X3 is a little.........how do I put it nicely.......ugly?
Well, consider this: At least the X3 doesn't have that idiotic I-Drive. I won't comment on its styling...that is a personal matter....but the lack of I-Drive alone puts the X3 at least one step above Chris Bangle's other flops.
Old 04-21-04, 09:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Richie
i m with you bro, IMO it's not a little, it's A LOT ugly
i say go for V10 TDI.
Old 04-21-04, 03:15 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I think all sport utes are ugly, so for me it comes down to a matter of engine selection and what kind of mileage it will get...

Also, something that can tow is very important, which is why diesel is high on my priority list.

-Ethan
Old 04-21-04, 05:21 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Bmw X3

Originally posted by ISinnXL
I wouldn't touch the Touareg with a stick. My neighbour (after hiring a lawyer) managed to have VW buy his car back, and a quick look at the VWVortex, Touareg forum, shows how bad reliability is and the service isn't any better
Old 04-21-04, 05:56 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Now that I think about it towing with the x3s short wheelbase would suck anyways.

I guess no automaker makes something to fit my needs.

-Ethan
Old 04-22-04, 12:14 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

guys..

is the vw touraeg really that bad???..hmm i think it is a good value suv..few LA dealers already giving good size discount...i would also consider a low-miles pre-owned cayenne S..vs. a loaded VW

back to the thread..i saw few x3s in LA lately, ok from the outside. it is basically target someone who wants an suv, with german name plate..then again, the 1st yr, or 2 , will always have reliablity issues..the % is def higher with european cars- this is coming from a guy who work for a german car dealership
Old 04-22-04, 03:08 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Ethan, isn't the Hummer H1 a diesel?