Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Scion- Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 06:31 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New Scion- Opinions??

Hi all, I went with my wife today to check out the new Scion Xb. Let me tell ya, this is a pretty cool car. It looks like a lunch box driving down the road. I talked to the salesperson and he said that Scion is like a project to Toyota similar to Lexus. The car/truck/van was pretty neat. It was a fun to drive. Not much in the way of power 1.6L 4cyl 108 horsepower but it was cool and man did I get some looks from people while I was driving. Not even in the same zip code as my GS430 in the way of power but very cool. It is pretty cheap but my wife absolutely fell in love with it and I kinda like it too. Holy crap was there a ton of room, especially head room. I was absolutely shocked as I am 6'3 and rarely fit comfortably into any car.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the car/truck. I am not sure what to call it. Lunch box is the best way to describe it. Like I said, we are thinking about buying one and just wanted to hear anyone' s feedback about it. Thanks all
Old 04-21-04, 06:46 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tihnk they are awesome. Especially for the money. But I do like the new Scion tC better, but they are way different types of vehicles (lunchbox vs. coupe). If you decide to go with one, just make sure to get a manual.

PS. There other day, I saw an awesome brand new white xB with 5% tint all the way around, 5-speed with Borla exhaust. It was awesome. Those xB's can be pimped so good
Old 04-21-04, 08:50 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure I want to drive a 108 HP car for extended period of time when I have a 300HP GS4
Old 04-21-04, 09:13 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

If I were in the market for that kinda car, I would seriously consider it, although I like the xA a lot more. The look has grown on me a bit, but I would be discouraged, as many people hate the xB. But it's actually not that bad! It looks kinda nice when you get used to it, clean lines, and nice fit and finish. If ony the shape were just a tad bit sexier.
Old 04-21-04, 09:18 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gs400998
Not sure I want to drive a 108 HP car for extended period of time when I have a 300HP GS4
That's what I thought too but it was a fun car to drive. It's for my wife not me although I will probably drive it every now and then. She absolutely loves it.
Old 04-21-04, 09:21 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
If I were in the market for that kinda car, I would seriously consider it, although I like the xA a lot more. The look has grown on me a bit, but I would be discouraged, as many people hate the xB. But it's actually not that bad! It looks kinda nice when you get used to it, clean lines, and nice fit and finish. If ony the shape were just a tad bit sexier.
That's exactly what both me and my wife said. At first when we saw the commercials on tv and even saw one on the street we were both like WTF, that thing is ugly, but it has really grown on me. It was fun as hell to drive also. It's like a lunch box with wheels. The XB I drove even had an intake and a strut bar. It was fun and it has really grown on me big time
Old 04-21-04, 09:23 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
I tihnk they are awesome. Especially for the money. But I do like the new Scion tC better, but they are way different types of vehicles (lunchbox vs. coupe). If you decide to go with one, just make sure to get a manual.

PS. There other day, I saw an awesome brand new white xB with 5% tint all the way around, 5-speed with Borla exhaust. It was awesome. Those xB's can be pimped so good
I picked up a book they had with some options they put on and they were pretty pimped out. I like the look of the TC but I can't do a coupe because we have a 4 month old baby so not too practical. That's why I was diggin on the lunch box.
Old 04-21-04, 09:31 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I just saw one today in Brooklyn. It does turn heads for its wacky design (I just stared at it for 20 seconds) but I don't like it very much. Have you test driven the xA? The xA looks much better imo.
Old 04-22-04, 02:35 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dimiscus
That's what I thought too but it was a fun car to drive. It's for my wife not me although I will probably drive it every now and then. She absolutely loves it.
i test drove the the same car about 3 weeks ago. surprisingly, i do like it as well. it was pretty amazing how much interior room the car had.

yeah, the look/exeterior of the car is controversial but for the price range, it is absolutely amazing. i am considering getting it in the future as a daily driver car and haul lots of junk when necessary. hey, for 15k, it is one hell of a car!
Old 04-22-04, 02:38 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

oh yeah, if you are going to get it, i would suggest getting at least one small upgrade on the wheels to the alloy. i really do not dig the three standard wheel cap options at all.
Old 04-22-04, 05:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally posted by gs400998
I agree...there's a big difference between a Scion and a Lexus. But eventually you might get tired of feeding ol' 400's gas tank at today's 93-octane prices....especially if you drive a lot of miles. And consider that that 108 HP is not dragging much weight around either, so it just might get out of its own way.....and it's getting twice the 400's mileage on cheaper gas.
Old 04-22-04, 05:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Re: New Scion- Opinions??

Originally posted by Dimiscus
Hi all, I went with my wife today to check out the new Scion Xb. Let me tell ya, this is a pretty cool car. It looks like a lunch box driving down the road. I talked to the salesperson and he said that Scion is like a project to Toyota similar to Lexus. The car/truck/van was pretty neat. It was a fun to drive. Not much in the way of power 1.6L 4cyl 108 horsepower but it was cool and man did I get some looks from people while I was driving. Not even in the same zip code as my GS430 in the way of power but very cool. It is pretty cheap but my wife absolutely fell in love with it and I kinda like it too. Holy crap was there a ton of room, especially head room. I was absolutely shocked as I am 6'3 and rarely fit comfortably into any car.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about the car/truck. I am not sure what to call it. Lunch box is the best way to describe it. Like I said, we are thinking about buying one and just wanted to hear anyone' s feedback about it. Thanks all
Dimiscus, before you sign for an xB, check out the Honda Element. It has roughly the same styling as the xB but is a little larger and FAR more useful and versatile. It has the option of All-Wheel-Drive if you want traction ( I see you're in a heavy-snow state...Colorado ) , a bigger 4-cylinder engine than the xB, waterproof seat fabric and rubber interior for easy hose-it-out cleaning, multi-configuration rear panels for cargo room, and a forward-opening pillarless rear door for bulky items. And it doesn't cost much more than the xB...especially in base front-drive form. However, it doesn't have Toyota/Scion's 5/60 drivetrain warranty...Honda only gives you 3/36....but Hondas are usually just as reliable as Toyotas.
Old 04-22-04, 06:13 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dimiscus: Don't worry about the power or handling on the Xb. Steve Ganz from Carson Toyota (SUPRATRD) has many goodies for the Xb that will increase engine power and suspension. I'm also considering purchasing one as a beater and letting him order parts from Japan for it. Another project car.. I love the look of the Xb but my g/f hates it very much. She calls it a Lunch Box on wheels...
Old 04-22-04, 08:21 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i really like it, my brother picked one up 4 car show purposes and through on some 19's on it and has ordered the carbon fiber hood,front lip and rear spoiler and it coming along pretty nice...i like it inside and out, but its pretty slow stock, even the stick.....but it gets awesome gas mileage , hopefully my brother will have most of the stuff on by H.I.N. in may, i'll post pics when everything is on..
Old 04-22-04, 09:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The xB is certainly the best looking lunchbox I've ever seen.

I sat in one and it is very different inside - very wide open and
the windshield is unusually far from the seating position and it
creates an interesting and inviting atmosphere.

I'd definately take it over the Element. The xB is perfect for customizing
but I can't imagine doing much with an Element.

Quick Reply: New Scion- Opinions??