Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am sorry for going to the other side

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 04:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by mmarshall
Read almost ANY auto test magazine, auto enthusiast magazine, newspaper autoweekly, forum, or road test and you can come up with your own conclusion.

No, I don't HATE Chris Bangle...there are few people that I DO hate outside of Al Qeada, Osama Ben-Laden, Saddam Hussein, and Kim-Jong-il of North Korea. But the guy took some of the BEST sports-sedans in the world, screwed up the styling (in my opinion), cheapened the sheet metal and hardware, put in that Active Steering with the electric motor in the steering column that took away so much of BMW's famous road feel, and, above all else, put in that absolutely hideous I-Drive system that almost no one likes...and it is actually a safety hazard, in my opinion...you have to try and figure out that computerized **** while you're trying to steer and keep from rear-ending the car ahead of you. So what do you have? Cars that a few years ago were probably the best sports sedans on the market and today look, feel, and drive like second-rate cars.....and are becoming unreliable as well. And I am not alone in my opinion...BMW 7 and 5-series sales are dropping.
So don't try and make excuses for this guy....he has put himself into this position...him and BMW managemant. It is not our "hatred" or anybody else's. But....there may be some hope yet....the X3 does not have I-Drive, and word is that the upcoming 2-series won't either.
And I'm not even a BMW junkie myself...I would feel even stronger if I was one.

Chris Bangle is only in charge of design. He doesn't really have anything to do with
iDrive or other engineering issues. There are others who also have just as much
influence in the design of the cars as Bangle. Bangle is a part of management (design),
but BMW's current issues are an entire management problem. Remember that it's
these exec's that give the go ahead on a design and things like iDrive.
Old 04-23-04, 07:11 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

And non-Bangle Bimmers have a lot going for them, especially in the steering and handling departments. You'll have fun with this car on a winding road.
Sorry to break it to you, but Chris Bangle designed the E46 3-series
Old 04-23-04, 07:21 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris Bangle is like the Osama of car industries. He should be removed for a just cause.

Up to date, he's successfully destroyed the appearance of more BMW models than anyone could've done in the past 10 years.

Like Bin Laden, if this guy doesn't go away, there won't be a bright future for BMW.

He should've stayed in America and put his design on Pontiacs and Chevrolets. These cars may look better with it. And plus, some Pontiacs such as the Assteck are already so ugly to begin with. No matter how Bangle tries to mess them up, they'll be ugly anyway.

Jon
Old 04-23-04, 07:39 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Question

KingLex:
just curious, which auction did you go too?
Hamien in south jersery?

thanks
KN
Old 04-23-04, 07:46 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase, the 330 was a damn good choice, especially with the Dinan upgrades.

I'm currently trying to talk my friend into a newer 330ci or an older M3.

Oh and
Old 04-23-04, 07:58 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

I think he was only a part of its overall design.

The E46 3 series are still fairly handsome and look nothing like the ugly new 5 and 7 series.

Jon

Originally posted by Attila
Sorry to break it to you, but Chris Bangle designed the E46 3-series
Old 04-23-04, 08:59 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

The auction I went to the Manheim dealer auction in PA. My friend took me, he said that it is the biggest dealer auction in the US. Have never seen so many cars in my life. I will take pictures once I detail the beast.
Old 04-23-04, 09:04 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Since you got the cash to throw around, it's nice to be able switch around and get different flavors. But when you switch back next spring, you'll find yourself appreciating Lexus a lot more for completely different reasons than before. . . I'm not downplaying BMW, just quoting other people. But I think that particular model/year of BMW is absolutely beautiful. . . a very clean design that will look good for a long time. I really like the responsiveness of BMW suspensions and brakes too, so congradulations on the new car!
Old 04-23-04, 09:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

" it takes time to get used to it" that's what chris bangle and i partially agree with him.
i really hated the new 7 series when it comes out but it looks not too horrible now (but who wants to pay 8-90K for one car that has to grow on your right?)
5 series is not , but M5 is definitely too SICK!( i know they look the similar with regular E60 but i love new V10 M5)
oh and i saw the new 645ci today and oh man i love that car!

i might really be a minority here but i love the new 6 series and new M5 from bangle.

PS: i m putting my flame suits on
Old 04-23-04, 09:40 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Read almost ANY auto test magazine, auto enthusiast magazine, newspaper autoweekly, forum, or road test and you can come up with your own conclusion.

No, I don't HATE Chris Bangle...
mmarshall, i am sorry if i my respond was offensive to you and i apologize for that. i was only joking . i know you have a lot of knowleges about automotive indsusties and you been working as an auto consultant for many years and i dont really have much knowleges about cars like you do.
Old 04-23-04, 11:32 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Okay, I give that Bang and Go some little credit for the new 6 series and the M5. However, I think overall, he's pretty much screwed the "soul" of BMW's tradition in terms of their appearances.

Despite their good looks, they just don't remind me of them being "BMWs" for some reason.

I guess this is just what happens when we have this evolving standard of automative contemporary design.

To me, this change made to BMWs is just like Cadillac's losing its long tailgate lights. A long tradition of glory lost in time.

Jon
Old 04-24-04, 03:42 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by JLSC4
Chris Bangle is only in charge of design. He doesn't really have anything to do with
iDrive or other engineering issues. There are others who also have just as much
influence in the design of the cars as Bangle. Bangle is a part of management (design),
but BMW's current issues are an entire management problem. Remember that it's
these exec's that give the go ahead on a design and things like iDrive.
Ditto. I believe the new steering and most of the other new engineering came in 99. Bangle wasn't there in 99 was he? Even if he was the plans for new engineering were being created years before implementation. Bangle definitely wasn't there years before 99.
Bottom line is Bangle has nothing to do with the engineering, only the look...which is often a result of some engineering designs and vise versa. I like some of Bangle's work. The 7 looks good to me. The new 5 looks mostly good to me. Like the x5 and new 6. I guess the only one I really hate is the little rodster. The entire rear end just seems to not be a part of the car.
Old 04-24-04, 05:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by Technics
Yeah, post some pics before you get banned!!!
Old 04-25-04, 02:26 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea... and if there's anyway you could post a clip of the exhaust that'd be awesome... i've heard a Dinan 3 ripping around my campus before it sounds MEAN!!!
Old 04-26-04, 04:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by ISinnXL
mmarshall, i am sorry if i my respond was offensive to you and i apologize for that. i was only joking . i know you have a lot of knowleges about automotive indsusties and you been working as an auto consultant for many years and i dont really have much knowleges about cars like you do.
No offense, chief...that's what these forums are for...to discuss vehicles and our opinions on them.
Some of the posters made the arguement that Bangle was not responsible for engineering...only design...and there is some truth to that.