Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am sorry for going to the other side

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 09:49 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sorry for going to the other side

I went to the dealer auction yesterday to buy a 2001 gs430 and left with a 2001 bmw 330 dinan 3. A clean gs430 is so hard to find right now. It came down to a 2002 gs430 fully loaded with navigation and 50k mi for $30,000 or the bimmer fully loaded with navigation and 69k mi for $24, 000. I had a gs400 and really loved it, but i think i made the right choice on the bimmer. What do y'all think? Oh! and i do plan on getting the new gs when it comes out next spring.
Old 04-22-04, 10:52 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you have a ***** load of money to spend on cars... i wish i could say the same in any event, gl w/the bimmer, but a 330?? i dont think that can compare w/a GS430 (but idk much bout bimmers).
Old 04-23-04, 08:51 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by KINGLEX
I went to the dealer auction yesterday to buy a 2001 gs430 and left with a 2001 bmw 330 dinan 3. A clean gs430 is so hard to find right now. It came down to a 2002 gs430 fully loaded with navigation and 50k mi for $30,000 or the bimmer fully loaded with navigation and 69k mi for $24, 000. I had a gs400 and really loved it, but i think i made the right choice on the bimmer. What do y'all think? Oh! and i do plan on getting the new gs when it comes out next spring.
Well, if you think you made the right choice then you did.. That's all there is really to say.. on no there's one more thing to say.. Congrats on the new beemer. goodluck with it and drive it well.. Also if your gonna get the 06 GS you should get yourself on the waiting list.. I called Lexus of Greenwich last week and I'm #4 on the list to get the 06 GS...
Old 04-23-04, 09:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Go with what makes you happy...if the Bimmer makes you happy then it's all good!

-Seize
Old 04-23-04, 09:42 AM
Milla...

You know what BMW's are all about and what it will take to keep it a fun car to drive.
Hey see my sig below and have fun.
Old 04-23-04, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, at least you didn't get one of those Bangle machines with I-Drive...you'll be grateful for that. And non-Bangle Bimmers have a lot going for them, especially in the steering and handling departments. You'll have fun with this car on a winding road. You mentioned getting a GS in the spring but didn't indicate how long you plan to keep the Bimmer.....as long as you DO own the Bimmer, however, expect high maintenance costs, reliability somewhat lower than Lexus, and snooty people at the BMW dealerships.
Old 04-23-04, 10:56 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that ........... KINGLEX must become KINGBMW
Old 04-23-04, 11:39 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Congrats and good luck with the new Beamer...

Keep us informed of how the BMW-Ownership experience is like.
Old 04-23-04, 12:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, at least you didn't get one of those Bangle machines with I-Drive...you'll be grateful for that. And non-Bangle Bimmers have a lot going for them, especially in the steering and handling departments. You'll have fun with this car on a winding road. You mentioned getting a GS in the spring but didn't indicate how long you plan to keep the Bimmer.....as long as you DO own the Bimmer, however, expect high maintenance costs, reliability somewhat lower than Lexus, and snooty people at the BMW dealerships.
from your all previous posts, you REALLY hate chris Bangle dont u??
Old 04-23-04, 12:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I have all three. Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. I like each one for independent reasons. The Lexus has indeed been the only one that hasn't needed anything at all but an oil change.
Old 04-23-04, 12:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

hey 3 series are awesome!! espically 330i. there're some reason for being car and driver's 10 bests for like 14 years. congrats! i hope you'll have fun driving her around then visting to shops.
is it stick or auto sport shift?

Last edited by DC52E55; 04-23-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 01:06 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well congrats on the purchase....
Old 04-23-04, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: I am sorry for going to the other side

Originally posted by ISinnXL
from your all previous posts, you REALLY hate chris Bangle dont u??
Read almost ANY auto test magazine, auto enthusiast magazine, newspaper autoweekly, forum, or road test and you can come up with your own conclusion.

No, I don't HATE Chris Bangle...there are few people that I DO hate outside of Al Qeada, Osama Ben-Laden, Saddam Hussein, and Kim-Jong-il of North Korea. But the guy took some of the BEST sports-sedans in the world, screwed up the styling (in my opinion), cheapened the sheet metal and hardware, put in that Active Steering with the electric motor in the steering column that took away so much of BMW's famous road feel, and, above all else, put in that absolutely hideous I-Drive system that almost no one likes...and it is actually a safety hazard, in my opinion...you have to try and figure out that computerized **** while you're trying to steer and keep from rear-ending the car ahead of you. So what do you have? Cars that a few years ago were probably the best sports sedans on the market and today look, feel, and drive like second-rate cars.....and are becoming unreliable as well. And I am not alone in my opinion...BMW 7 and 5-series sales are dropping.
So don't try and make excuses for this guy....he has put himself into this position...him and BMW managemant. It is not our "hatred" or anybody else's. But....there may be some hope yet....the X3 does not have I-Drive, and word is that the upcoming 2-series won't either.
And I'm not even a BMW junkie myself...I would feel even stronger if I was one.
Old 04-23-04, 01:34 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car man and don't be a stranger!!
Old 04-23-04, 03:56 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Thanks for your replies. this car is not jusrt a 330I. It is a Dinan 3.
Dinan options:
Stage 3 Engine software
Cold Air Intake
Free Flow Exhaust
Strut and Tower Braces
Stage 2 Suspension System
Automatic Transmission Software
Carbon Fiber Ignition Module Cover
Carbon Fiber Engine Cover
Adjustable 24mm Front and 22mm rear Anti -Roll Bars
Serial Numbered Dinan S2-330 Plaque
Built in Radar Detector
BMW options:
Fully loaded with Navigation
2001 69k for $24000
Who could pass that up?
My heart is with Lexus though.
I really loved my Spectra Blue GS400, but 2001 430's in general are hard to find. Plus once you mod a car you void the warranty. With this car the factory warranty is void, but Dinan gives you a warranty which is pretty much the same as BMW not to mention they are partnered up with select dealerships.
Ok now for my first problem with BMW. The waiting list for service right now is like a month. I called about 10 dealerships before I was able to get an appointment for next week. At Lexus of Massapequa I could just walk in there at any time.
And lastly I am not trying to compare the GS to a 3 series. They are 2 very different types of cars. I will reiterate that I LOVED MY GS400.
I am not going to put myself on the 2006 GS waiting list until they formally announce the GS350GT that is what I have my heart set on.
Clublexus is still my home.
Lata

Quick Reply: I am sorry for going to the other side