Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M stands for Monster, more new M5 news!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 02:12 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M stands for Monster, more new M5 news!

The story is from Autoweek here and has lost of pics. I can't wait!

"2006 BMW M5
ON SALE: 2005
BASE PRICE: $80,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 5.0-liter, 500-hp, 369-lb-ft V10; rwd, seven-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3900 pounds (est.)
0 to 60 MPH: 4.7 seconds (est.)

Replacing a landmark car is never easy. When the landmark car has whipped every conceivable rival in convincing fashion in its lifetime, the job is even harder. And that's the task the new BMW M5 faces. Its iconic predecessor set the sport sedan standard for six years, until it ceased production late last year.

Rather than rest on its laurels and simply refine a winning package, BMW's M division has dug deep into its development coffers to raise the four-door stakes-again.

The concept behind the new M5 is the same as always: "To blend an unobtrusive appearance with a high-performance engine and premium levels of sedan car comfort." But this execution is different, more courageous than any in the model's 20-year history.

Everything you need to know about Munich's new 155-mph four-door flyer is summed up in the sophistication of the monster engine behind the signature kidney grille. This F1-inspired V10 signals the M division's newfound determination to not only demolish its rivals on driving finesse, but to do so with outright grunt as well.

By replacing the previous model's 4.9-liter V8 with a 5.0-liter V10, BMW elevates the performance potential to a higher plane. Displacement has barely changed, but output has shot up by 100 hp to a tantalizing 500 hp-and in the process, that magic 100-hp-per-liter that has long been an M division forte has been achieved. Torque is up, too, with 369 lb-ft concentrated in the first half of the rev range.

The V10's fundamentals are much like the old V8's: 90-degree architecture, aluminum construction, four valves per cylinder. But numer-ous refinements have been made to the internal structure, variable valve timing (Double Vanos in BMW-speak), electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies and in-house-develop-ed engine management system designed to sharpen throttle response.

Rather than resort to forced induction like rivals AMG and Audi Sport do with the E55 and RS6, respectively, BMW engineers rely on a heavy dose of revs to achieve the 25 percent increase in power. If rumors circulating at the M5's unveiling at Geneva in March hold true, the new engine will rev close to 8500 rpm in production trim.

M division development boss Gerhard Richter masterminded the V10, which is also earmarked for the M6 due out next year. "It really is quite special," Richter says. "There are some trick internals that let it rev quite high. You won't be disappointed!"

Proof of this is reflected in the acceleration. With a projected 0-to-60-mph time around 4.7 seconds, the new M5 is a full 0.6 second faster than its predecessor. Even more impressive is its 0-to-120-mph split, which is put at a sports car-like 12.7 seconds. Like all M cars, top speed is limited to 155 mph, although Richter hints it would be capable of something closer to 185 mph.

A new seven-speed version of BMW's sequential manual gearbox, based on the six-speed the M3 uses, will be offered as an alternative to a more traditional seven-speed manual. SMG actu-ation is via twin paddles fixed to the steering wheel or a stubby, chromed-topped gear lever. As in the M3, the driver can choose from among 11 different programs-five automatic modes, six manual ones-to alter the gear-change characteristics.

The M5's substantial power is channeled through a beefed-up version of BMW's limited-slip M differential. It measures the difference in wheel rotations left to right, and apportions power via an electronically controlled clutch, depend-- ing on traction levels. The trick rear axle is allied to a fourth-generation version of BMW's Dynamic Stability Control and Traction system.

Underneath is a reworked rear-wheel-drive 5 Series platform beefed up with components taken from the flagship 7 Series, including parts of its rear axle and brakes. Dry-sump lubri-cation allows BMW to set the engine aftward and closer to the ground than the standard inline six and V8 engines offered in the 5 Series. Weight distribution is 50/50. The entire load-bearing structure forward of the A-pillars is made from a mix of aluminum and lightweight high-tensile steel. Still, BMW remains tight-lipped on actual weight until closer to the production version's unveiling at the Paris motor show in September. Our estimates put it around 3900 pounds.

BMW used the demanding Nürburgring Nordschleife to refine the car's MacPherson strut front and multilink rear suspension. Richter won't give specifics, but he says the geometry has been revised with track lengths providing a "substantially larger footprint than the 5 Series." A lot of develop-- ment work also has been focus-ed on stiffening the subframes to which the suspension is attached and minimizing unsprung weight through a "heavier concentration of aluminum components."

Given the M division's traditional attention to detail, it seems safe to assume the new M5's steering will be more direct than ever. The new car will use a modified Active Steering system that is optional on the 5 Series. Expect loads of feedback, too, for there is plenty of rubber in contact with the road. The lightweight 10-spoke alloys are shod with generously sized 225/40ZR front and 285/35ZR rear Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

We can't yet know whether the new M5 will retain the reputation for sport sedan greatness, but we can be consoled in knowing it at least looks the part. As these pictures reveal, the new car looks every bit as determined as its mechanical specifications suggest.

While changes from the standard 5 Series are subtle, they have all been finely honed in the wind tunnel and are entirely functional. There is no pretense, just parts that get the job done. There is a deep air dam with three cooling ducts, generously flared wheel arches, chunkier side sills and a complex rear bumper with a central diffuser designed to draw hot air away from the differential.

In what is likely to become an M car signature, this 5 sports chromed gills behind its front wheel arches and four chromed tailpipes poking out in pairs from each side at the rear. Also, 19-inch alloy wheels-8.5 inches wide at the front, 9.5 at the rear.

If Richter can be believed, then M division's chief designer Ulf Weidhase has done his job well. "It's got real presence on the road," he enthuses. "When we were out testing with final prototypes on public roads it was instantly spotted as being more than a normal 5 Series."

When the new M5 reaches North American showrooms sometime next year, it is almost certainly going to cost more than the car it replaces. With the price premium will come higher levels of technology, added performance, and as luxurious an interior as any in the BMW lineup. The new M5 might be more powerful than ever, but it's apparent M car buyers still enjoy their comfort, too."
Old 04-26-04, 02:34 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well

same 0-60 times as 03 m5, interesting
Old 04-26-04, 02:59 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: well

BMW's manufacturing quote is usually pretty conservative.

Expect a low 4 sec. run from Car and Driver when the car's eventually released.

Jon

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
same 0-60 times as 03 m5, interesting
Old 04-26-04, 05:40 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: well

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
BMW's manufacturing quote is usually pretty conservative.

Expect a low 4 sec. run from Car and Driver when the car's eventually released.

Jon
Agreed. We may even see a 3.9 sec run
Old 04-26-04, 05:43 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Default Re: M stands for Monster, more new M5 news!

Originally posted by Overclocker
By replacing the previous model's 4.9-liter V8 with a 5.0-liter V10, BMW elevates the performance potential to a higher plane. Displacement has barely changed, but output has shot up by 100 hp to a tantalizing 500 hp-and in the process, that magic 100-hp-per-liter that has long been an M division forte has been achieved. Torque is up, too, with 369 lb-ft concentrated in the first half of the rev range.
That's what I like to hear

Last edited by Davtown; 04-26-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 05:45 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: well

Yeap. And if that's the case, then it can say bye bye to the E55.

Jon

Originally posted by Technics
Agreed. We may even see a 3.9 sec run
Old 04-26-04, 07:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

but the tq is really unimpressive though, isn't it? i hope it's doing low 4....
Old 04-26-04, 07:54 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Agree with most of you guys. The 0-60 really should be lower than 4.7 because if that's the case it's not gonna be dusting C5's like everyone thinks. The torque really is no surprise to me because my 96 SC has more torque than the current M3 (not saying I can handle an M3 or anything though). Torque monsters are awesome like the Viper, but this is gonna have to be a pretty high revving V10 to make up for the relatively low torque numbers. Just like the M3, its not gonna blow you away in the lower RPM range, but once it gets moving and the tach starts rolling it'll pin you back. Imagine 8500 RPMs in a V10...it's gonna wail. Expect a highway runner.

Oops, forgot this. To me its too ugly and the performance isn't gonna make up for the looks plain and simple. Sorry.

James

Last edited by jet864; 04-26-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 08:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jet864
Agree with most of you guys. The 0-60 really should be lower than 4.7 because if that's the case it's not gonna be dusting C5's like everyone thinks. The torque really is no surprise to me because my 96 SC has more torque than the current M3 (not saying I can handle an M3 or anything though). Torque monsters are awesome like the Viper, but this is gonna have to be a pretty high revving V10 to make up for the relatively low torque numbers. Just like the M3, its not gonna blow you away in the lower RPM range, but once it gets moving and the tach starts rolling it'll pin you back. Imagine 8500 RPMs in a V10...it's gonna wail. Expect a highway runner.

Oops, forgot this. To me its too ugly and the performance isn't gonna make up for the looks plain and simple. Sorry.

James
good point there, if it revs all the way to 8500 it will make up for quite a bit of speed. and man, imagine, 8500rpm on v10, how sweet!
Old 04-26-04, 08:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

E55 looks better but even the old M5 beat the new E55 in at least half of the 7 or 8 magazine comparos I've seen. I can live with a black or dark color one.
Old 04-26-04, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SexySC
E55 looks better but even the old M5 beat the new E55 in at least half of the 7 or 8 magazine comparos I've seen. I can live with a black or dark color one.
well the handling of e55 is definitely no match for m5, but the braking and the straight line of e55 is just insane and for the style, i will take e55 any day
Old 04-27-04, 06:47 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Ya, 369 lb-ft is bit disappointing coming from a 500 hp V10.
Horsepower and torque figures are usually much closer.
Dodge squeezes 505 lb-ft out of a 500 hp V10 so why can't BMW?
It probably would take a C5 if these torque #'s were achieved.
Old 04-27-04, 08:44 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

The 369 torque is only in the first half of the power band, expect more out of the rest of the revs, and most likely more than 369 by the time it hits the states....
Old 04-27-04, 09:32 AM
LexFather

8500RPM is damn near unusable day to day (think S2000). This is a point many magazine editors are realizing. All this HP is about bragging rights and not about being useful.

THough I think a V-10 in a sedan is

Old 04-27-04, 09:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
The 369 torque is only in the first half of the power band, expect more out of the rest of the revs, and most likely more than 369 by the time it hits the states....
not sure if i would agree, why would they state the tq number in the first half of the power band instead of the max number over the whole band? 500hp it's not the max power in the first half of the power band, i bet the max 500hp is at very high rpm

Quick Reply: M stands for Monster, more new M5 news!