Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Last Oldsmobile to drive off assembly line...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 10:21 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by amy011079
WOMAN.

Old 04-27-04, 10:48 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo
Jim Jim Jim.. Do we have to have a reading lesson at our next meet...??
Old 04-27-04, 10:57 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

At least GM is trying to compete, and stop Toyota from taking over their market.
Old 04-27-04, 11:06 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexusLuver
At least GM is trying to compete, and stop Toyota from taking over their market.
I agree. I think they know when enough's enough. Like someone stated in another thread, I believe Ford will continue pumping money into Lincoln because the new F-150 is going to make them bank (not to mention the new Mustang). They'll be able to afford a new LS maybe and perhaps some sort of special edition, non mafia version of the Town Car.

James
Old 04-28-04, 05:47 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
And one more thing, what the hell is up with lincoln? Man, their cars SUCK !! All they have in their entire fleet is an underpowered boat the towncar, and a little luxury sedan the LS that doesnt have anywhere near as much power as its foreign competitors. Need I mention both are legendary in breaking?

Ever since the continental and Mark series was discontinued, nothing remotely good has come out of lincoln. They should have been exterminated before oldsmobile.
It's all about the Navigator and Aviator. That alone is enough to keep the Lincoln nameplate alive. Trucks are the money makers today.

What was Olds pushing? The Bravada. It's just another GM shat-out Envoy/Trailblazer clone. Bleh.

"y0 dawg nice twankies on that Bravada!" <--- Not likely to be heard.

Olds' death is long overdue. It's not Olds' fault tho. GM let it happen. They could have made the brand more than middle aged crap available in only 4 models.

Suicide.
Old 04-28-04, 10:32 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aurora is actually a somewhat decent car (provided you dont get the first few years, when reliability was absolutely horrendous)

The olds 4.0 liter V8 actually had nearly the exact same specifications as the first generation lexus V8, basically the car was designed to effectively combat lexus and infiniti, which it obviously failed to do so.
its flaw, why why why put such an engine in a fwd configuration...
Old 04-28-04, 11:18 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Skulinex
its flaw, why why why put such an engine in a fwd configuration...
Very true point. Remember Caddy from the 80's...FWD V8s are a huge no no in the luxury game.

James
Old 04-28-04, 12:53 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say my next sports car may be a C6 Z06 (2007)
Old 05-03-04, 10:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo
I have to say my next sports car may be a C6 Z06 (2007)
out with the grandpa olds in with the mercury
Old 05-05-04, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

And one more thing, what the hell is up with lincoln? Man, their cars SUCK !! All they have in their entire fleet is an underpowered boat the towncar, and a little luxury sedan the LS that doesnt have anywhere near as much power as its foreign competitors. Need I mention both are legendary in breaking?

Ever since the continental and Mark series was discontinued, nothing remotely good has come out of lincoln. They should have been exterminated before oldsmobile.
Well, that " underpowered Town Car boat " you refer to just happens to be the top-selling car in the country with limo firms, chauffeur services, and even with high-school kids going to the prom. It is also VERY popular with the post-55 crowd.
There's an old saying.....Be careful what you bite....Sometimes it bites back.
Old 05-05-04, 10:22 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I thought they were bringing back the Continental. Lincoln, OLDs and Cadillac have made some of the best cars for their time if you go looking back. It will be a shame to see one of them go but I haven't liked an Olds since the 80s Delta 88. And even then the Cadillac Fleetwood was much cooler.

Old 05-05-04, 10:35 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

the funniest part about this i keep seeing more and more aleros poping up in my neighborhood like everyone owns one now. especially like 17 year olds. i guess there hot on the market since there not making them anymore. haha

~ Stella
Old 05-05-04, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
the funniest part about this i keep seeing more and more aleros poping up in my neighborhood like everyone owns one now. especially like 17 year olds. i guess there hot on the market since there not making them anymore. haha

~ Stella
More likely ,customers are just snatching them up to get the Olds 5 year/60,000 mile warranty, which is not available on most other GM products. Even after Olds is gone, other GM shops should be able to do most of the warranty work....the Alero is very similiar to the Pontiac Grand Am.

Olds shot itself in the foot and helped bring about its own demise for several reasons...First, by marketing the Cutlass in too many different versions, ( both FWD and RWD) which confused people. Then they built too many cars too long with poorly-designed dasboards that were too hard to decipher with dozens of tiny, identical-shaped buttons. Then they finally got the dashes right but dropped their top-selling nameplates...the 88, 98, and Cutlass, alienating a lot of customers and sending them to Buick instead.. Then they tried to build import-fighting cars that didn't even have the Olds logo on them. The result was a marketing disaster.
Old 05-05-04, 11:38 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Thumbs down

Oldsmobile is CRAP!
Old 05-06-04, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally posted by DVSG3
Oldsmobile is CRAP!
Not quite, but close.

Quick Reply: Last Oldsmobile to drive off assembly line...