Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Last Oldsmobile to drive off assembly line...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 03:52 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kind of a shame it being America's oldest auto company

I thought Olds was on the way up when they introduced the Aurora in 95 kinda odd but cool looking, then the Intrigue, pretty nice looking car from GM, then the 3.5L DOHC Northstar based V6... thought it wouldnt go the way that it did- then the new Aurora was pretty nice 4.0L Northstar
the name Oldsmobile.... kinda a bad name haha

maybe they shouldnt have killed it, just limit the line up and limit Buicks lineup... but oh well...
Old 05-06-04, 04:34 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The facts are... althought the aurora was lagued with numerous problems in its first few years, by 99 it was actually well put together. No tto mention the redesigned 02-03 models lost about 300 lbs so they became considerably quick, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds I believe.

Buick hasnt had a V8 in its line up since 1996 when they discontinued the roadmaster (now thats a good car.) IMO they should have cut buick long before oldsmobile. A 99 aurora was actually what I was planning on picking up before I discovered lexus!
Old 05-10-04, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
The facts are... althought the aurora was lagued with numerous problems in its first few years, by 99 it was actually well put together. No tto mention the redesigned 02-03 models lost about 300 lbs so they became considerably quick, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds I believe.

Buick hasnt had a V8 in its line up since 1996 when they discontinued the roadmaster (now thats a good car.) IMO they should have cut buick long before oldsmobile. A 99 aurora was actually what I was planning on picking up before I discovered lexus!
Buick in fact DOES now have a V8 in its lineup...in the Rainer SUV. And unlike the other versions of this platform....the Chevy TrailBlazer, the Isuzu Ascender, the GMC Envoy, and the Saab ( yes, SAAB ! ) version to come, the Rainier offers the V8 in the short-wheelbase version.
Old 05-10-04, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally posted by CleanSC
It's all about the Navigator and Aviator. That alone is enough to keep the Lincoln nameplate alive. Trucks are the money makers today.

What was Olds pushing? The Bravada. It's just another GM shat-out Envoy/Trailblazer clone. Bleh.

"y0 dawg nice twankies on that Bravada!" <--- Not likely to be heard.

Olds' death is long overdue. It's not Olds' fault tho. GM let it happen. They could have made the brand more than middle aged crap available in only 4 models.

Suicide.
Be careful with these snide references to "middle aged crap".......People of ALL ages bought, drove (and later on, didn't buy and drive) Olds products. This idea that you can't buy or drive a certain make or type of vehicle just because it's a "girlie" car, or a "macho" car, or a "granny" car or a "guy" car is a bunch of nonsense.
Old 05-10-04, 12:39 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Be careful with these snide references to "middle aged crap".......People of ALL ages bought, drove (and later on, didn't buy and drive) Olds products. This idea that you can't buy or drive a certain make or type of vehicle just because it's a "girlie" car, or a "macho" car, or a "granny" car or a "guy" car is a bunch of nonsense.
I never intended to state that the cars couldn't be bought because of who they were designed/marketed/sold to. After all, I drive a "girlie" car. (Celica) The intent was more to address that the *CURRENT* line up is "unexciting" or lacking when compared to the offerings of competitive makes and it just plain makes them look bad. Especially when you log on to their site and right there in the homepage it says "Have you considered other GM brands? Click here."

It's almost like they DON'T want to sell their cars to you. They only offer 3 models. To the average consumer that visits this site, it just all looks *very* unappealing.

Personally I don't want to see Oldsmobile go like this. It's a part of American history and I'd like to see it change with the times and offer what America needs and be successful. But looking at the current offerings it's not hard to see why it's happening.