Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda loses focus and profits

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 07:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered why Honda has maintained such a comparably small
lineup. With all the success they've enjoyed with leading car sales (Accord &
Civic) they still don't offer a full size sedan (discluding Acura). Why is this?
I bet if they built a large sedan it would probably become one of the best selling
large cars in America. Come on, if VW can offer a $95,000 12 cylinder luxury liner,
then Honda should be able to offer a $25,000 full size sedan. This is Honda's
single biggest mistake along with not offering a pickup.
Old 05-02-04, 02:31 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
I'll try to make this simple. BMW sells more cars than trucks. Lexus sells more trucks than BMW. BMW has been around longer than Lexus and yet they don't sell as many trucks - why? Because until recently they only focused on cars. Right now trucks are hot cars are not - witness Lexus car/truck sales of 2003 vs. 2002 (car sales down, truck sales up).

This has to do with focus and not model/engine choices.
I disagree, Lexus now basically owns the lux-SUV market. X3 and X5 sales arent anywhere near their Lexus counterparts. The X3 is priced below the RX and w/o the Lexus image, they arent selling.

The LS is the #1 selling premium lux-sedan in the US...no competition at all, handily outselling both S-class and 7-series sedans combined.

The next GS will gain alot of sales, if it delivers some more impressive engines at the 09 refresher it will easily kill 5-series sales.

IMO the next IS will be hit, expect a radical redisign.
If the next IS and ES sales are added, IMO they will easily outsell the 3-series.
Old 05-02-04, 11:37 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, I guess we won't really know or not if a V8 Acura flagship would sell or not until it's actually tried. Interesting, though....the Germans have four ultra-high-class expensive cars now...the Mercedes S-600, the BMW 760iL, the Audi A8 (and S8) , and the VW W8 and W-12 Phaetons. (not counting the $300,000 Maybach...in an even higher class).
I don't think a $60k acura V8 rwd flagship would sell well. Granted I'm sure if it follows the same formula as the new TL and upcoming RL, it'd be a wonderful car, but honda/acura has no snob-appeal. Thats one thing the Europeans have over the japanese... Lexus is gaining a better reputation, but among the auto elitists... BMW and Benz still have the name. And to many buyers, they still want the prestige. Lexus has grown to at least be a highly respected luxury nameplate to many (although once again not to the levels of BMW and MB) but Acura has little to none... especially when you're dealing with buyers of 70-120,000 dollar cars. Especially after the intro of the LS500GT in a few years with 600+hp and a long wheel base, I don't see honda being able to compete in the upper-end segment. They do what they do very well in the lower cost segments, I just don't think a good number of luxury-car buyers would take them seriously in the upper end. Same thing with VW in the Phaeton, I heard it hasn't been doing too hot.
Old 05-03-04, 04:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Faraaz23
I don't think a $60k acura V8 rwd flagship would sell well. Granted I'm sure if it follows the same formula as the new TL and upcoming RL, it'd be a wonderful car, but honda/acura has no snob-appeal. Thats one thing the Europeans have over the japanese... Lexus is gaining a better reputation, but among the auto elitists... BMW and Benz still have the name. And to many buyers, they still want the prestige. Lexus has grown to at least be a highly respected luxury nameplate to many (although once again not to the levels of BMW and MB) but Acura has little to none... especially when you're dealing with buyers of 70-120,000 dollar cars. Especially after the intro of the LS500GT in a few years with 600+hp and a long wheel base, I don't see honda being able to compete in the upper-end segment. They do what they do very well in the lower cost segments, I just don't think a good number of luxury-car buyers would take them seriously in the upper end. Same thing with VW in the Phaeton, I heard it hasn't been doing too hot.
The above could have been said about Toyota in 1988 - just prior to the LS400 intro. Look at them today.

What I don't understand about this board is that people can not understand that Acura is not focusing on the upper-end market. The new RL will still be a 6 cyl and THAT'S OK. It doesn't mean they are any less of a car company - it just means that they focus on high technology, lower cost cars. But trust me, if they wanted to compete in the upper-end segment, they would do so and do it very well - IMHO.