Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 LEXUS LS & IS...New Sketches!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 10:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that IS coupe looks like the tC. the future looks interesting...
Old 07-31-04, 06:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't put much faith in sketches anymore, especially for Lexus cars, they're so secretive. There were many sketches we've seen before they unveiled the new GS, sadly, most of them looks better than the real car IMO.
Old 08-03-04, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
I don't put much faith in sketches anymore, especially for Lexus cars, they're so secretive. There were many sketches we've seen before they unveiled the new GS, sadly, most of them looks better than the real car IMO.
Yeah...this is a real problem....especially with Toyota / Lexus and Honda / Acura. There is too much of this hush-hush nonsense in the car industry......unnecessarily so......even though, as car buffs, we see things circulated and photographed long before many others do...often in auto magazines. I have gotten into nasty arguments with factory reps on numerous occasions over having to wait for the Detroit show to see new displays live and for latest announcements. I was working with somebody a few years ago who wanted a new Civic hatchback and the Honda rep wouldn't even let us know if it was going to be dropped from the North American market....this was before the current Si hatchback debuted. In fact..it cost them a sale...my friend said screw it, went out, and got a new Forester instead....in some ways an even better product.
Old 08-03-04, 09:24 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by skeemer
Is it just me or does the IS sketch look vaguely similar to a 350Z? I plan on considering a Z next fall when I buy a new car so I've been paying much attention to them. I just feel a resemblance between this drawing and the Z.
Dear lord I hope not.

And concerning the secrecy, yeah it is kind of silly but I guess no one wants to let the other know what they are working on. Though its funny that Toyota/Honda are secretive as 9/10 it will be evolutionary styling inside and out and 9/10 it will be pretty zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (snore) in styling.

Old 08-03-04, 11:19 AM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents, i love the big, bold, large and in charge look that all of the LSs have had, from 1st gen to now, I just prefer it over the "sleek" and streamlined look of these sketches.
Old 08-04-04, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
For what? 375 is more than enough for everyday driving and if its needed it wouldd be able to take out 90% of the cars on the road. Its no AMG but its got all the highs of a Lex still.

Unless that was sarcasm...

James
Jet's got a good point here.......that was my first reaction as well. In a car like the LS, torque is more important than HP........for two reasons. First, torque is what gives you acceleration, not HP...especially at lower speeds and in a large heavy car like the LS. Second, the HP peak in most engines comes at an RPM far above the torque peak.....and most LS owners don't go around redlining their engines or running them anywhere near the HP peak, so the 375 or more HP peak would be redundant.
HP is more important in determining the vehicle's ultimate top speed....where the engine is run at a steady high RPM, more typical of German Autobahn conditions than here in the U.S. with its speed limits.