Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who makes the best cars/trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-04, 07:59 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo
I'm considering the 2005 ford mustang. That car is really sweet!
might want to upgrade that to the svt cobra or the mach 1 forget the gt and regular mustangs.

~ Stella
Old 05-03-04, 05:27 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna have to go with GM. First off, our 1995 454 Suburban is still chugging along after 160K miles and all the major repairs (tranny, rear end) were anticipatory so no major problems, and that thing is a beast in towing. I hate Fords but the new F-150 is a good truck and will do well. However, I would take a 3500 or 2500 Chev way before and F-250 or F-350. In regards to cars, its Cadillac vs. Lincoln pretty much. Caddy EASY. Honestly, no comparison there. CTS-V and new STS are very cool. Chrysler really has no foothold anywhere and it is mainly the Viper image which keeps that brand alive. Viper SRT-10 leads to SRT-4 and SRT-10 Ram. Trickle down effect, because in cars, Mopar is basically worthless except for maybe the new 300C.

James
Old 05-03-04, 10:04 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Who makes the best cars/trucks?

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Ford without a doubt.
Check this out, Ford dismissed call to fix latch. And I see this stuff all the time from them!

Now GM and Chrysler have their problems, but nothing like Ford. Ford's on life support and it shows.

My pick is GM, they seem to be actually trying to improve and have a lot of cool global companies they can get things from.
Old 05-03-04, 10:40 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

The last time we bought an American car was 1992. A brand new Buick Park Avenue which was a waste of metal. In the 80s we had various Fords and Chevys. Owning an American car is a nightmare. Do any of you recall the Ford Pinto?? That thing would blow up if you hit it from the back. Recently I have heard that American cars are more reliable but I really dont know. Aside from the Viper the only American car Id want is a CTS-V (with the corvette engine). Now we are really into German cars. Ooooo I forgot... GM makes the Hummer.. thats a car I would want. But an H1 not an H2. Personally I think the H2 is hideous. Am I the only one that thinks this?
Old 05-03-04, 10:41 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I just remembered Jaguar is made by Ford so I'd give the upper hand to Ford. And plus they got the GT40.
Old 05-04-04, 04:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Who makes the best cars/trucks?

Originally posted by Overclocker
Check this out, Ford dismissed call to fix latch. And I see this stuff all the time from them!

Now GM and Chrysler have their problems, but nothing like Ford. Ford's on life support and it shows.

My pick is GM, they seem to be actually trying to improve and have a lot of cool global companies they can get things from.
Ford may have a point here. I agree it's not a good idea to have doors that could fly open, buy if you (or your kids) are properly belted in or in a child seat, then what difference does it make? You're not going to be thrown out....if you are it's your own fault to start with for not being strapped in, unless the seat itself actually rips off. Seat belts and harnesses are put into vehicles for a reason...and that reason is not to make excuses for not using them. In fact, many states have mandatory belt-use laws. Chrysler, some years back, had to go through this same bulls--- with its minivans...so-called "defective" rear latches that would fly open. So what? Even if they did, a PROPERLY belted child in the third seat would not fly out.
I'm not just venting here, folks....I had a acquaintance killed in a Pontiac Aztek ( what a way to die) when it rolled and he flew out through an open driver's window....and 3500 lbs. of an UGLY vehicle came down right on top of him. Why was he thrown out ?....simple. He was not belted in.
We all complain that vehicles are too expensive. Why just add to their cost by forcing expensive and unnecessary recalls? If it is REALLY necessary, fine (and the early Pintos were a good example of one that was really necessary) but I can't see forcing auto companies to spend needless monety trying to correct what drivers and passengers themselves should be doing.
Old 05-04-04, 06:57 AM
Milla...

Hmmm well me personally I don't want anything flying open on my cars regardless, Hood, trunk, doors, freaken gas doorI don't want flying open. I pay for cars to operate and function not break and malfunction.
Old 05-04-04, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Milla...
Hmmm well me personally I don't want anything flying open on my cars regardless, Hood, trunk, doors, freaken gas doorI don't want flying open. I pay for cars to operate and function not break and malfunction.
True....I don't either,....and it is true that even if belted-in humans don't fly out, other unsecured objects could....and the doors could cause damage to surrounding objects by flying open and hitting them. But my point is that you have to determine that a real large-scale safety hazard exists before you start talking recalls of millions of vehicles. Good vehicles and their manufacturers can have their credibility severely damaged unnecessarily by unfounded allegations....the ridiculous case of the Audi 5000 in the 1980's with the "unintended" acceleration is a perfect example. So was the staged test of the GM pickups with the outside-mounted fuel tanks that the TV producers admitted was doctored to produce the desired effects......a tank explosion.
Old 05-04-04, 11:33 AM
Milla...

I do understand that their will be recalls on some autos most aren't really big deals to me i.e faulty assesories lights/ switches/ rattles etc. I mean if I was any more critical I surely wouldn't be considering an Audi. My issue is with major safety items and major engine/drivetrain parts . Doors flying open is just outright ludicrous. I saw a move on DVD what was it ehhh "Fighting Temptations" where Cuba is riding along with his cuzin and his door keeps flying open oh my how hilarious I would never...

Last edited by Milla...; 05-04-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-04-04, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I agree...if Ford makes flimsy latches, let's get them fixed, but make sure we have a real pattern here....not just a couple of owners who just didn't close and lock them securely. I personally have been more impressed with Ford's door and window hardware then I have been with GM's and Mopar's.
Where Ford really makes junk is in the automatic transmission shifters....there have been problems for years with the levers not fulling engaging PARK or slipping into REVERSE with the engine running.
There have been several recalls for this and still there are problems.