Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Amanti VS LS430???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 07:40 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kia Amanti VS LS430???

I know that this migh be a weird question, but unless my eyes are decieving me I thought that in an issue of car and driver they rated the Kia Amanti a little quieter than the LS430. The DBA on the Kia was :63 at 70 miles per hour crusing. I believe the LS430's DBA was 64 at 70mph. What gives? Is it really that easy to sound proof the cabin of a vehicle? I was a little into car audio in my past and dabbled a bit into making the car quiet as a tomb, but had no luck trying to achieve LS430 quietness. Really WHAT THE HELL?

PS- I don't think that Lexus will be focusing on the LX470 anytime in the next 5 years. It seems as if the mid-sized SUV's and the new GS/LS's will be the focus of the company. Dammit, I was really looking foreward to the new LX.

LL
Old 05-04-04, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i can't say if it's true that the kia is quieter than the lexus

but if any case, i am more interested in the same test after 2 months. who knows, maybe everything in the kia is falling apart already by then
Old 05-04-04, 10:01 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well i can't say if it's true that the kia is quieter than the lexus

but if any case, i am more interested in the same test after 2 months. who knows, maybe everything in the kia is falling apart already by then
hahahahaha... this is prob SOOOO true. the lex will RETAIN its quiteness while the clunking in the Kia will be MUCH louder.
Old 05-05-04, 07:19 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Kia doesn't compare to Lexus now. But Korean cars are constantly improving in design and quality. Both Consumer reports and JD Power have given more and more favorable ratings on Hyundai and Kia vehicles. I think it's only a matter of time before they catch up. Toyota was considered junk 30 yrs ago. Look where they are today. You know what, if one day Hyundai builds a car that's as reliable as any Lexus, I would consider buying one....although that day may not come in another 10 years.

Last edited by BrickHead; 05-05-04 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-05-04, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
I know Kia doesn't compare to Lexus now. But Korean cars are constantly improving in design and quality. Both Consumer reports and JD Power have given more and more favorable ratings on Hyundai and Kia vehicles. I think it's only a matter of time before they catch up. Toyota was considered junk 30 yrs ago. Look where they are today. You know what, if one day Hyundai builds a car that's as reliable as any Lexus, I would consider buying one....although that day may not come in another 10 years.
Brickhead is correct. You guys pan Kia and Hyundai too much. Both companies at one time DID build junk....but both have improved tremendously in the last 5-7 years.... Hyundai more so overall than Kia, but the Kia Sedona is well-done. I test-drive new vehicles quite often....and the Korean brands today give you the best bargains, the best warranties and the best fit-and-finish for the money. Many Korean brands are disguised as other nemeplates, such as the Suzuki/Daewoo Verona and Foirenza and the Chevy/Daewoo Aveo. Among the three major Koreans, Hyundai has become the noticible leader of the three in quality. But.......No, they are not Lexuses, and they tend to be somewhat underpowered.

I have driven the Kia Amanti...it is a nice car, but it is quite softly sprung, and it rolls like a boat in corners.
It is quiet...almost to Lexus standards. The interior hardware looks nice but is also not quite to Lexus standards.
Old 05-05-04, 11:44 PM
DVSG3
Driver

If I remember correctly, the test was indicating that you could get 2 Kia's for the price of one Lex with not TOO much difference in quality. YEAH RIGHT! Like everyone else said...check back in 2 years.
Old 05-06-04, 04:50 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BrickHead
consumer reports forgot to tell you that they got there great design ideas from already in production cars. please that new kia looks like a cheap bently and the hydais are like cardboard box benz. i would never buy a kia.....ill settle for a honda first b4 that.

~ Stella
Old 05-06-04, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
consumer reports forgot to tell you that they got there great design ideas from already in production cars. please that new kia looks like a cheap bently and the hydais are like cardboard box benz. i would never buy a kia.....ill settle for a honda first b4 that.

~ Stella
Yes, a Honda is better in some ways than a Kia (especially drivetrain engineering), but Honda is CHEAP with the warranty....3/36 drivetrain vs. 10/100. The point I'm trying to make is that Kia and Hyundai don't build junk anymore like they used to. I have a friend with a 2001 Accent with 50,000 miles....just like the day it was built. No squeaks, rattles, defects, dealer repairs, paint good, interior holding up. The Koreans had to learn from their mistakes....just like Toyota did back in the 60'sand early 70's, and boy, have they learned. I'm not saying everything the Koreans build now is that great a deal...I'm still not very impressed with the Kia Rio and the Spectra, and the Sportage was a piece of junk from the beginning. But the Sportage is gone now...replaced by a MUCH better vehicle...the Sorento.
If you want to look at a manufacturer that is TRULY ripping off the public, look no further than your local Mercedes-Benz dealer. And believe me, I'm not alone with that view.
Old 05-06-04, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, a Honda is better in some ways than a Kia (especially drivetrain engineering), but Honda is CHEAP with the warranty....3/36 drivetrain vs. 10/100. The point I'm trying to make is that Kia and Hyundai don't build junk anymore like they used to. I have a friend with a 2001 Accent with 50,000 miles....just like the day it was built. No squeaks, rattles, defects, dealer repairs, paint good, interior holding up. The Koreans had to learn from their mistakes....just like Toyota did back in the 60'sand early 70's, and boy, have they learned. I'm not saying everything the Koreans build now is that great a deal...I'm still not very impressed with the Kia Rio and the Spectra, and the Sportage was a piece of junk from the beginning. But the Sportage is gone now...replaced by a MUCH better vehicle...the Sorento.
If you want to look at a manufacturer that is TRULY ripping off the public, look no further than your local Mercedes-Benz dealer. And believe me, I'm not alone with that view.
hahah, i recall my first impression when i first heard about kia / hyundai bragging about their "best warranty of all, 10/100" --- well, of course, you guys need to have that kind of warranty anyway
Old 05-06-04, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
hahah, i recall my first impression when i first heard about kia / hyundai bragging about their "best warranty of all, 10/100" --- well, of course, you guys need to have that kind of warranty anyway
No...there is no HAH HAH about it. Kia and Hyundai today build respectable cars...not the best, but respectable. Period. End of argument......................I'm on to the next topic.
Old 05-06-04, 02:10 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Wink

Well...Alrighty then!

Last edited by DVSG3; 05-06-04 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 08:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
No...there is no HAH HAH about it. Kia and Hyundai today build respectable cars...not the best, but respectable. Period. End of argument......................I'm on to the next topic.
yeah sure, you gotta sell your is3 for sure
Old 05-06-04, 09:19 PM
LexFather

True story. My best friends parents and my folks hang out sometimes. WHen they first saw the RX 300 my folks pulled up in, they asked about it, etc. We thought they were gonna get a RX (Cool).

They pull up 2 months later in a Kia SOrento. Same color scheme and all. The freaking even copied the RX on the inside. So they are showing it to me and I am like "nice car". THey start the engine up and the CHECK ENGINE light comes on.

Close but no cigar.

The Koreans have come a LOOOOOOOOOONG way and if I was in a Civic or Camry now, I would maybe consider a Kia etc. But since I've been driving a Lexus for 8 years now, there is no way in hell I am gonna look BEHIND me.

I'm looking ahead.

Old 05-07-04, 09:27 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I believe it's probably due to the tire.

LS430:
225/60 R16
Summer tire: Goodyear Eagle GA or Bridgestone Turanza ER 33
Optional All season performance tire: Goodyear Invicta GAL or Dunlop SP Sport 4000

Amanti:
225/60 R16
All season touring tire: Hankook Optimo H417

Usually all season tires are quieter than summer tires. Also, touring tires are much quieter than performance tires. If LS430 only loses 1 dB to Amanti by using noiser tires, then I think it is doing a pretty good job.
Old 05-07-04, 09:51 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

as much as i wanna support korean cars cuz i'm korean, i just can't.
haven't been in the Amanti, but i can't even compare others with civics or corollas.
i always wonder how the designs can be so ugly, and it doesn't change at all.
the hyundais and kias in korea are actually uglier than the ones here.

Quick Reply: Kia Amanti VS LS430???