Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which car (feel free to explain)
Evo VIII
39.13%
STi
52.17%
Other
8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Help me choose (Evo, STi, Other)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04 | 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MGS4
Volvo S60R
No....S60R's start at 37K. Remember, the poster said less than 35K. Even the S60T5 starts at 33K...probably more than 35K out the door.
Old 05-10-04 | 10:12 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

The only good thing Mitsu ever made was my big screen. Mitsu reliability sucks. I had to have the transmission rebuilt in my Eclipse at 33k miles. Other little problems constantly pop up. Fit and finish sucks too and the interior is cheap. I've never owned a Scooby but I'd rather take my chances with an STI.

Old 05-11-04 | 04:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by talgrl626
The only good thing Mitsu ever made was my big screen. Mitsu reliability sucks. I had to have the transmission rebuilt in my Eclipse at 33k miles. Other little problems constantly pop up. Fit and finish sucks too and the interior is cheap. I've never owned a Scooby but I'd rather take my chances with an STI.

Yes, the last-generation Eclipse (and the identical Eagle Talon) was indeed a poorly made car...one of the worst on the market, in spite of the popularity of the Turbo and AWD versions with the caps-on-backward crowd. The newer FWD V6 Eclipse is somewhat better but still below average.
Old 05-11-04 | 04:53 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I have 15k on my GTi in the last year that I bought new with absolutely zero problems. I have considered trading it in on the new R32. VERY sharp cars, and not NEARLY as generic as the STi and Evo.... Also not NEARLY as cheap feeling.

-Ethan
Old 05-11-04 | 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Question Roll the dice

Originally posted by Ebanks
I have 15k on my GTi in the last year that I bought new with absolutely zero problems. I have considered trading it in on the new R32. VERY sharp cars, and not NEARLY as generic as the STi and Evo.... Also not NEARLY as cheap feeling.

-Ethan
If you really want an R32, fine, go for it.......it is a nice drivers' car in a lot of ways. But keep one thing in mind. You've already rolled the dice once on a new VW and lucked out with no problems....something that doesn't happen to many VW customers. The chances of getting a reliable VW product TWICE in a row are not good. True, I mentioned in a earlier post that the R32 was an alternative to the Sti and Evo, but I also mentioned VW's recent history of service and reliability problems as well.
Old 05-12-04 | 04:52 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

get a sc300 and turbo it.
Old 05-12-04 | 04:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, the last-generation Eclipse (and the identical Eagle Talon) was indeed a poorly made car...one of the worst on the market, in spite of the popularity of the Turbo and AWD versions with the caps-on-backward crowd. The newer FWD V6 Eclipse is somewhat better but still below average.
did you just say that last gen Eclipse GST with 4g63 is not as good as this current one?????????
Old 05-14-04 | 10:55 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Not necessarily...it depends on your timing.

You can buy the Volvo S60R with leather and bi-xenons for $34,270 thorugh their Overseas Delivery program and that includes airfare for two, first night hotel, insurance, shipping, no destination charge, etc.

Earlier this year their were good bargains to be had on in stock Volvo Rs. Their stock is drying up now though as the factory is on a lull getting ready to start spitting out 2005 models in the next few weeks or so. By Fall they'll probably be back to nice deals on in stock inventory - Volvos rarely sell for sticker anywhere except in the first few months after new model introductions.

Thanks.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net

Originally posted by mmarshall
No....S60R's start at 37K. Remember, the poster said less than 35K. Even the S60T5 starts at 33K...probably more than 35K out the door.
Old 05-15-04 | 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DC52E55
did you just say that last gen Eclipse GST with 4g63 is not as good as this current one?????????
Well, in general, it was not built as well as the current V6 front-drive model. It was popular, yes, because of the kick-in-the-pants that the GST model gave and the cornering stability that the GSX AWD model gave.
But they were NOT well-built cars...they were prone to squeaks and rattles, upper-engine and turbo problems, roughly done factory paint jobs, hardware problems like radio and power window switches, wipers, etc.....
The newer V6 cars are somewhat better built but still somewhat trouble-prone. Mitsubishi, sorry to say, with the possible exception of the Montero, just does NOT build a vehicle to the same quality standards as some of the better Japanese firms like Toyota, Honda, Mazda, andd Subaru.