Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Checked out BMW 6 and Test Drove M3...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 04:04 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checked out BMW 6 and Test Drove M3...

i was bored today so i went to the local bmw dealership to check out the new 6 series. man, the 6 is actually very smooth and mean close up and personal. i really like it. the dealer had the convertible and the coupe. the coupe was in the black metallic sapphire. it is kinda like the flint mica...the dark greyish look. it is awesome looking. they said that they "fixed" the i-drive meaning making it simpler to navigate...yeah sure. haha. i didn't get the chance to test that out.

the saleman then told me that they just got a pre-owned 2003 M3 convertible with only 6500 miles. it is silver with 19inch factory option wheels.

the salesman wanted me to take the M3 for a test drive. i told him that i have no intention to buy and was just really looking around having fun. well, he insisted anyway b/c he wanted to get out of the office. so i was like sure, why not.

the M3 is absolutely amazing. since it was already broken in, i was driving it as hard as i could.

one of these days, i would love to get that car as the weekend warrior.

anyway, you know that nissan ad with people placing hand on the car and feeling the rush??

well, it's very rare i get that feeling with a car, i can still feel the rush i got today from the M3.

oh yeah, since the salesman is nice and knew i was not buying at all but still let me have fun, i told him that i would spread the word.

if any of you might be interested in a 2003 silver M3 with 6500 miles on it, just PM me.
Old 05-10-04, 07:25 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M3 is definetly a looker....we had an 03 M3 in Carbon Black w/ the 6 speed manual. It also had the optional 19's. The only thing it didn't have was the SMG transmission(Which we didn't care for).

It's a fun car to drive and definetly gets you noticed. But I felt that it was a bit under-powered than I originally anticipated. We just aquired a Lancer EVO 8 a few months later and this little turbo four-banger felt faster. In my opinion, I'd rather drive the M3 around because it looks pimp, flat out.

Now if you want to drive something really hard and fun, go to the Chevrolet dealership and ask to drive a broken-in Certified Pre-Owned Corvette Z06 - now....thats one heck of a ride......

The car we tuned before the M3 was a Torch Red Z06......when we installed the ATi Procharger, it was a monster!!!!
Old 05-10-04, 10:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D,

just curious, how much are the dealer asking for that m3?? is it certified??

thanks
Old 05-11-04, 05:20 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4Will
D,

just curious, how much are the dealer asking for that m3?? is it certified??

thanks
the dealer was asking somewhere around $55,000.

yeah, it is pre-certified. the story is the couple who owned the M3 traded in for a porsche. i think they bought the M3 at the last quarter of 2003 as a new model and didn't drive it much. i got my lex back in october, and my car already has more miles than the M3.

mmm...Z06 sounds like a must to drive, thanks SC400dude, i might just have to get my heart pumping.

oh yeah, when i was driving the M3 yesterday, saw a Porsche Turbo scream by. man, i would love to test drive that.
Old 05-11-04, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up Look at a 'Vette

I agree with the earlier poster that 55K ( or maybe less than that ) would be better spent on a Corvette. 'Vettes are cheaper to service than BMW's, the dealers are MUCH less arrogant, you get more car for your money, and they are torque monsters. And for what that used M-car costs, you won't have to settle for a used 'Vette.......you can EASILY get a brand-new one...maybe even a brand-new Z06, if you find a dealership that doesn't price-gouge. Yes, a Corvette's interior quality leaves a little to be desired, and they tend to get squeaks and rattles ( partly from the hard suspension ) . Insurance can also be expensive and hard to get...but that is also a problem with M-cars.
If you want a higher-quality or more reliable car for 55K than either the BMW or 'Vette, look at a new Lexus GS430. It is not only better-built but more comfortable too...it woun't pound you over bumps as much as an M-car or 'Vette.
Old 05-11-04, 07:49 AM
JSnake916
Driver

... was a Torch Red Z06......when we installed the ATi Procharger, it was a monster!!!!

That would be a handful indeed. On another note, I was on my way to school other day and saw a 2003 M3 coupe (19s and all) on a faltbed wrecker. Looked as though it had been put into a tree sideways on the passenger side. Total loss, total waste.