Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Skyline or NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 04:16 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops I should read what other people write before I reply. Wasn't rippin you off reggiek, we just think alike.
Old 05-12-04, 04:19 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
R34 GTR V-Spec for sure.

Are u looking forward to buy either one of those? It's gonna cost u $100,000
LOL who said I was gonna buy new??? Im really at a crossroads right now. I REALLY want to mod my Lexus. I'll probably be "done" in after about $10k. So I still dont know whether to start or not. As far as these cars being impractical... I know they are. But theyre pretty much going to be my weekend car. Im going to sell my huge 7 series and get a 2 seater. So I'll still have the Lexus. I just checked motorex's site and yikes!!! R33 for $48k cheapest. Of course thats a GT-R. I COULD get a 4 door skyline (GTS) but what good is a 4 door skyline???? The highest I want to go is $35k. 95/96 NSX's go for around that much. I'd probably have to get a R32 Skyline if I wanted to spend that much but I just hate those. So what do you guys think I should do... Keep my LS and do all the mods as well as keeping my 7 with it OR lay off the mods, sell the 7 and get probably a NSX since its cheaper. I'd sell the Lexus but I've lost too much money on it so I need to keep it for a while. If you guys have any other cars tell me... just remember $35k is all I am willing to spend right now. And I want it to be a used semi-exotic car. Ive thought about an old Lotus Espirit but those things are horrible in reliability.
Old 05-12-04, 04:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

easy choice, NSX-R all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
NSX is exotic sport car and the only one realiable exotic on the market today ( i know it's old but still good)
R34 is just R34, i mean it's a very nice car and all but still.
Old 05-12-04, 04:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

here is what they say about NSX on this month C&D
Attached Thumbnails Skyline or NSX?-gt.jpg  
Old 05-12-04, 05:54 PM
LexFather

GT-R is a techno car, weighs more and more the newer you get. Many prefer the R32 as it is the lightest model. The R34 does look badass, weighs 3600lbs and more. NSX is light, aluminum, hand made, 3000lbs.

I'd get the GT-R, it has a ICON factor. Who has one? It is too rare here. The NSX is awesome too though.

Old 05-12-04, 08:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cool

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
Oops I should read what other people write before I reply. Wasn't rippin you off reggiek, we just think alike.
Didn't someone say great minds think alike. A lot of us around here mimick each other. Afterall, we do have a lot in common.
Old 05-12-04, 08:31 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

man, it sounds like we all either passionately love the NSX or passionately love the GT-R. . . it's like a Toyota vs Honda debate. . . well Acura vs Nissan hehe. Hey Lexusracin, if you don't mind me asking, why are you getting rid of your 7 series? I'm not nit picking at you, I'm just curious for my own purposes. I remember that you were having issues with your LS and were saying the the 7 was unbeatable. You see I'm considering trading up/down from my 90 LS to a 01 IS. What made you stick with your LS over your 7?
Old 05-12-04, 08:45 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

man, it sounds like we all either passionately love the NSX or passionately love the GT-R. . . it's like a Toyota vs Honda debate. . . well Acura vs Nissan hehe. Hey Lexusracin, if you don't mind me asking, why are you getting rid of your 7 series? I'm not nit picking at you, I'm just curious for my own purposes. I remember that you were having issues with your LS and were saying the the 7 was unbeatable. You see I'm considering trading up/down from my 90 LS to a 01 IS. What made you stick with your LS over your 7?
Well like I've stated before... Im loosing ALOT of money on the LS. Honestly if I had a choice and was loosing the same amount of money... Id sell the LS and keep the 7. Im sure many people here will scold at me, but the 7 is a really great car. It handles like a dream. And the thing I like about it most... you dont see them all that much. EVERYWHERE you look someone has a Lexus. I dont like how common Lexus is becoming. BMW still has rarity. And I like cars with rarity, hence wanting to get a Skyline or a NSX. I keep telling you you should get the IS. BUY IT ALREADY!!!!
Old 05-12-04, 08:59 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I know what you mean by Lexuses being common, I'm not going to defend it, but they do sell well for a good reason. . . but anyway the BMW is a great ride too, no question. But what I'm wondering is why you aren't dumping the LS instead? Is it strictly a financial thing or. . . ? On the IS, the trade is for free. . . I'm running a few errands and favors. Let's just say if this happens I will never see my LS ever again :-( Don't ask. But I hear your POV loud and clear. Gonna get a good feel for what everyone at CL has to say. . . but back to your thread. . . you will be very very happy with either car. The NSX will attract attention like no other. And assuming you are a guy, you will be attracting a lot of females, hehehe I remember that you're pretty young too so it's a good thing(when is it ever not?). The Skyline often goes unrecognized by most common folk the same way an EVO, STI, or SRT-4 blends into traffic. They look like tacky ricer cars. Unless you are a gear head, you will scoff at these types of cars. Anyone who scoffs at a GT-R is a complete idiot btw, but people still scoff. I'm not ripping on the car, I love the GT-R's performance, but the R33/34's look like beat up Silvia/240SX's. The new Skyline, the one for which there is no GT-R, the G35 Coupe, is gorgeous. If the G35 coupe is an option I'd actually consider it too. . . or even the new 350 Z. If you truly love performance, and are a fan of the GT-R, go for it. But being exclusive isn't always good, as you could always get an AMC DeLorean and be super exclusive and exotic. The NSX is very good all around, and some will say the performance/perfomance potential exceeds that of the GT-R. . . but overall for getting rid of one of the cruisers and getting a sports car. Either car you dump and either car you buy, you're gonna be happier than you were originally.

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 05-12-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Well like I've stated before... Im loosing ALOT of money on the LS. Honestly if I had a choice and was loosing the same amount of money... Id sell the LS and keep the 7. Im sure many people here will scold at me, but the 7 is a really great car. It handles like a dream. And the thing I like about it most... you dont see them all that much. EVERYWHERE you look someone has a Lexus. I dont like how common Lexus is becoming. BMW still has rarity. And I like cars with rarity, hence wanting to get a Skyline or a NSX. I keep telling you you should get the IS. BUY IT ALREADY!!!!
BMW cannot have rarity. They've been sold for what, 90 years or so. In Europe they are as common as taxis (we don't get all their glorious low end models here). They have sold countless 3s and 5s over the years, Lexus has some catching up to do.

Old 05-12-04, 09:27 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I But what I'm wondering is why you aren't dumping the LS instead? Is it strictly a financial thing or. . . ?
Well the LS was my first car. I have ALOT of memories in it. I would be loosing alot of money, but more than that its the sentimental value. Lol I cant even begin to tell you where me and this car have been. Ah Im begining to reminesce again. Oh and about attracting females.. I already got a VERY overprotective one so its not like I'll be able to go out pimpin in whichever car I get. But newayz lol... look man.. I know you love your LS. LS's are great cars no doubt. But come on.. your getting a chance to own a 11 yrs newer Lexus. And if you want.. you can go back and get another 1990 LS as a second car. You should be able to find a 1990 LS for around $5k. But I know most ppl dont like owning 2 cars... I really dont know why. Having multiple cars REALLy has its advantage, especially if youre single. I remember back when I was single... seems like yrs ago... actually it was yrs ago lol... but I would role up in the Lexus on one date, our M class we had in another, and the Q45 in another. Man let me tell you, the girls I went on multiple dates with thought I was a big time baller. Believe me, girls love rich guys. If you have 2 cars you're sure to get some attention!!! But if I were to choose one car, Id pick the IS300.
Old 05-12-04, 09:33 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW cannot have rarity. They've been sold for what, 90 years or so. In Europe they are as common as taxis (we don't get all their glorious low end models here). They have sold countless 3s and 5s over the years, Lexus has some catching up to do.
I should have clarified, my mistake. I meant 7 series are quite rare to see. I dont know about you in GA, but here in Houston, you dont see a 7 series quite often. In fact, in my neighborhood of about 40 houses, there are only 2 7 series including mine!! Out of those 40 houses, about 30/31 of them have a Lexus(Im not exaggerating). Probably about 5/6 BMWs and about 10 Benz's. Keep in mind most houses have more than 1 car.

Last edited by LeXuSrAcIn; 05-12-04 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 09:34 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

thats why I pick the ladies up on our first couple of dates in a hoopty... if they stick around then they get introduced to the loves of my life.
BTW SKYLINE all the way...after I drove one I couldnt wipe the grin off my face for hours...(yes I have driven an NSX too)
Old 05-12-04, 09:52 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree... I think I see more lexus's than BMWs, not a substantial amount more though. generally I see droves of ES and RX cars... they are what i call "Bread and butter type 1 and 2" respectively. I seriously see sooo many of those. As for BMWs, they are slightly rarer... but there are NO sc's around here.... i see one of them every 5 months if im lucky.
Old 05-12-04, 11:26 PM
TNH
Pole Position

Default Re: NSX, hands-down

Originally posted by mmarshall
Skyline is just a common street coupe with a lot of power. [/B]
The skyline was built for the sole purpose of competing in the Japan Touring Car championships, and went four years undefeated before getting its on series. The skyline has won at Nurburgring and was undefeated in Japan's N1 endurance series.

Quick Reply: Skyline or NSX?