Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 05:32 AM
chrisgaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove one and didn't feel like it had 340HP nor 390 lb ft torque. I think it would be a good race. I think it looks a lot better in person than in the magazines. But the thought of spending $40K for a car that can be had in a lesser trim for half that is a bit scary. They should have named the 300C something completely different, or named the V6 models Concorde.
Old 05-13-04, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by chrisgaddy
I drove one and didn't feel like it had 340HP nor 390 lb ft torque. I think it would be a good race. I think it looks a lot better in person than in the magazines. But the thought of spending $40K for a car that can be had in a lesser trim for half that is a bit scary. They should have named the 300C something completely different, or named the V6 models Concorde.
I agree they could have made at least three different cars out of this one basic platform...and this is something I have already suggested to the Chrysler marketing people myself :

1. A basic low-trim Concorde V6 model like you indicate for the budget-minded. This would roughly compete with the front-drive Chevy Impala and Buick Lesabre.

2. A high-performance 300C with the Hemi ( maybe a supercharged Hemi ) for the sports-sedan crowd, with carbon-fiber and brushed-metallic trim, sport suspension and tires, a 6-speed manual, and high-ratio limited-slip differential. To some extent this would compete with the somewhat smaller Pontiac GTO.

3. An ultra-plush and soft New Yorker or Imperial model with the Hemi and loads of wood trim, soft suspension, soft tires, pillow seats, and chrome for those who want a nice, traditional American luxury-car soft ride, rich interior, and plushness. This would compete with the Lincoln Town Car.

Let's get some input here: How many of you agree with this?
Old 05-13-04, 06:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Guys I'm going to move this to the car chat forum .
Old 05-13-04, 06:12 AM
chrisgaddy
Driver School Candidate

I heard that they were working on an SRT (PVO) version due out at the end of this year or next year. Word is it will have a 6.1L HEMI, or the same 5.7L Supercharged

It supposed to be priced around the same as the CTS-V.
Old 05-13-04, 07:22 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I really like the car. Especially consiodering I can get the standard V-^ version for mid 20s and throw down some 22s for $4-$5K and have a brand new PIMP OUT HOT *** RIDE for 30K. Thats pretty damn good!

What horsepower does the V-6 version put out?

Ted
Old 05-13-04, 07:43 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts.

Beautiful. Larger body, slim windows, fits 20's or larger. It looks like an American Bentley. I expected to see older men (50+) driving them but I have only seen youger (30+).

Competition: The numbers look good on paper but I haven't driven it myself. Those numbers may be like "truck numbers". A truck may have 500hp but can it whip a GS430? No, too heavy. This car looks like a tank. It may need all that power to get up hills in the city.

Conclusion: The styling is better than the 2005 GS but nowhere near as sexy as the 2nd gen GS.
Old 05-13-04, 09:11 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by CinFulxGS4
Agreed.

What's up with the Mac Truck front grill?

it's not a bad looking car but the grill has to go (too mesh looking, horizontal line would of made it better)
from a distance, it does look like an american bentley. imo.
Old 05-13-04, 09:20 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The 300C is going to be the car to pimp out for "wanna-be ballers" on a budget. I mean this in an endearing way- not everybody has $75K to coin-up for a 7-series! The 300C with 22" wheels will be killer!

I actually like the exterior- has a royal 'Bentley' look to it. Unfortunately, the interior looks like a Grand Cherokee... or any typical Chrysler product. Too bad.

I don't know who got the worse deal out of the Daimler-Chrysler merger- Was it Mercedes or Chrysler?
Old 05-13-04, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by ted920
Personally, I really like the car. Especially consiodering I can get the standard V-^ version for mid 20s and throw down some 22s for $4-$5K and have a brand new PIMP OUT HOT *** RIDE for 30K. Thats pretty damn good!

What horsepower does the V-6 version put out?

Ted
The base 2.7 V6 puts out 190 HP....probably underpowered for a car this heavy.
The midlevel 3.5 V6 puts out 250 HP....the same engine that is in the current front-drive 300M .
The Hemi puts out 340 HP and 390 Ft.-lbs. torque ( when running on all 8 cylinders...it has the 4-cylinder deactivation feature at cruise ).
Old 05-13-04, 09:41 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

I think the car looks PIMP because of its "Bentley" like traits....but when you go sit inside its typical American - has no class or elegance. Kinda makes me wonder - how much thought did they really put into the interior?

Would I buy it? NO! Why you ask? Because I think the only real value in the car is the engine. Also, its going to be a played out with the wannabe ballers that want a Bentley and wanna bling bling with their 20's (i've even thought about it! hahah). Plus the car aint gonna hold its value worth crap - typical Chrylser....better of buying a used one with 10k miles for significantly less.

I know its not the same category...but I'd take the 04 TL thats packed with a thousand more features and costs less any day!

Just my .02 cents....

Last edited by Michifan12; 05-13-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 09:43 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ICEBERGS , Your GS400 if you do an air box mod and recal your ECT, you will beat him !!
Old 05-13-04, 10:02 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a nice shot of the exterior. Maybe someone can photoshop 20's and a drop. Classy wheels, like AutoCouture 3pc. Magnifique in Brushed Aluminum with a Polished Lip would be hot!

+

=

Last edited by TwentyTen; 05-13-04 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 10:18 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I like the look. Very muscular. Very Bentley like.
Old 05-13-04, 10:21 AM
98Nav400
Driver

I have to disagree with those who have driven the car and said it didn't feel fast to them. I too have driven one. My cousin works at a Chrysler dealership and I got to drive the demo they had with the Hemi--It had 2300 miles so I felt OK about hammering it around.

I think it is faster than my stock GS400. Off the line it has TWO tires powering the wheel and the most unobtrusive traction control I have driven. It still isn't blindingly fast off the line and exhibits some of the lull from a stop similar to our cars most likely due to weight--but I think it was faster. On the freeway from 65mph-115mph it absolutely rips (I didn't try to go faster). I know the numbers are close but I would give the advantage to the 300C if pushed. It doesn't "feel" fast, but watching the speedo it was accelerating very quickly.

More importantly, I thought the fit and finish of this car was better than just about any American car I have seen. Cruising at 80 mph the 300C was definately quieter than my car, which is most likely due to the taller sidewall and more touring oriented tires (eventhough they are 18"). I have the factory 17's running Flaken ST-115 which are supposed to be quiet, but there was no comparision betweeen the two.

I wouldn't trade my GS for it, but If I were considering a new car this one would get some consideration. As a side note, I do like the looks.
Old 05-13-04, 10:25 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Lexkost
ICEBERGS , Your GS400 if you do an air box mod and recal your ECT, you will beat him !!
What do you mean by recal ECT?

Quick Reply: Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400