Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS vs SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-04, 08:43 PM
Sly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking GS vs SC

Sorry for the newbee chatter, but........... How much difference is there between a GS and an SC (besides two less doors)? Is the suspension the same? BTW This site probably is at least partly responsible for me getting my wife a 98 GS. I plan on owning no car other than a Lexus. Too bad Lexus doesn't make pickup trucks ... Thanks
Old 05-14-04, 09:13 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GS vs SC

Originally posted by Sly1
Sorry for the newbee chatter, but........... How much difference is there between a GS and an SC (besides two less doors)? Is the suspension the same? BTW This site probably is at least partly responsible for me getting my wife a 98 GS. I plan on owning no car other than a Lexus. Too bad Lexus doesn't make pickup trucks ... Thanks
the old SC has a different suspension. i think that in stock condition it handles better than a stock GS, that said there are far more aftermarket parts for the GS, and the GS can be turned into quite a fun to drive thru the twisties kind of car.

i like the looks of both cars. i have to say that i think the SC is one of the most beautiful cars i've ever seen. i needed 4 doors so i got the GS400. i also had to have a V-8 and 300 hp is nice.

and of course the new SC is another story.
Old 05-14-04, 09:22 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC300 came with an optional five speed manual... the GS never had that option.

Supra components are a rather easy fit. The rear seat isn't wonderful, but it's still useful...

Are you just curious, or is this a buying decision?
Old 05-15-04, 10:33 AM
Sly1
Driver School Candidate

Default more than curious

Thanks for the reply, 3dog, supracoup3. As I stated I just bought my wife a 98 GS300. I was so impressed with the car that I want one (a Lexus) for myself. I test drove a 94 sc400 and a 95 sc300. Both of these were very stiff compared to my GS. I liked the look s of these SCs, but the ride was no comparason. I was hoping that the age of these cars was the culpret but I suspect theyre more of sport type cars and therefore have firrmer suspension. Ive yet to ride in an LS. I can hardly wait.
Old 05-15-04, 11:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The LS is a wonderful riding car though may feel a bit disconnected compared to a GS. Obviosuly softer all around though for long trips or even jaunts to the market, I've not found a car I enjoy like this. (Speaking of a smooth riding car.) I've liked the SC's and if not for limited garage space, I'd would enjoy having one to play with.
Old 05-15-04, 12:43 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: more than curious

Thanks for the reply, 3dog, supracoup3. As I stated I just bought my wife a 98 GS300. I was so impressed with the car that I want one (a Lexus) for myself. I test drove a 94 sc400 and a 95 sc300. Both of these were very stiff compared to my GS. I liked the look s of these SCs, but the ride was no comparason. I was hoping that the age of these cars was the culpret but I suspect theyre more of sport type cars and therefore have firrmer suspension. Ive yet to ride in an LS. I can hardly wait.
It may be the age or the cars because I had a 93 SC 400 that rode beautifully. Keep your search up though.

-Anthony
Old 05-16-04, 12:42 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 3dog
the old SC has a different suspension. i think that in stock condition it handles better than a stock GS, that said there are far more aftermarket parts for the GS, and the GS can be turned into quite a fun to drive thru the twisties kind of car.
The SC handles better stock and in the aftermarket. Ask Manaray. He has every suspension piece you can possibly slap on the GS430 and only about half the pieces you can put on a '92 SC400. That said, he once told me his SC outhandles his GS, and I've been there when he gets ill in the canyons...
Old 05-16-04, 12:46 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: more than curious

I test drove a 94 sc400 and a 95 sc300. Both of these were very stiff compared to my GS. I liked the look s of these SCs, but the ride was no comparason. I was hoping that the age of these cars was the culpret but I suspect theyre more of sport type cars and therefore have firrmer suspension.
It could be the stock tires. If they have the OE-equipped Bridgestone Potenza REs, those tires are horrible!!
Old 05-16-04, 08:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: GS vs SC

Originally posted by 3dog

i like the looks of both cars. i have to say that i think the SC is one of the most beautiful cars i've ever seen. i needed 4 doors so i got the GS400. i also had to have a V-8 and 300 hp is nice.

and of course the new SC is another story.
I agree with what's said in the quote. Just wanted to ask what your preference is. Sport or luxury ride? Personally, I think the SC has both. WIth the right tires, you get sport and enough luxury feel without having to rebuild your entire suspension like the GS guys have to. Remember, the GS is a tall car. It's awful hard to make it sport. I like luxury ride also, that's when I take the wife's ES out for a spin. After a while, I get tired of it. I can drive the SC all day long. It's the right combo...with the right tires.