Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 09:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW service is not cheap. However, Lexus service, at least here in Chicago is almost as expensive. Worse, the dealers here try to stick you with their own maint schedule and not the Lexus' one. For instance, I just brought my GS in for the 15K service. Cost was $320 - until I took off the Trans fluid change and tire rotation and brought it down to $189. That price included the differential which does not need changing until 30K either.

I will admit that Lexus of Naperville was very cool about taking off the trans service (as well as the tire rotation). My previous dealer always gave us a hard time saying things like "the manual is just confusing and you don't understand" to "We don't even know how to put that into the computer". I used to just dread taking my wife's RX in for service cause it was always a fight.

Therefore, I really appreciated the free BMW maint - no arguing no nothin. Just bring it in when the lights come on. I admit that they have those things come on a bit slow (first service on my 540 was at 16K and final service was at 32K). Personally I don't think I would buy a used BMW unless the previous owner had proof of doing oil changes a bit more often. I believe Mercedes was just bitten in the butt on this one as well.

Either way, compared to my old 325, Lexus service seems about the same price - you do get a decent loaner however.
Old 05-25-04, 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, I agree with you Doug. When the BMW is new, it's nice to have the free maintenance. However, you get you back when the warranty runs out. It's like they get their $ back b/c repair is pretty expensive. I don't take my Lexus in for major service at the dealer b/c they are expensive (to me), so I take them to an independent shop that I know and trust. Plus, he works for the dealer and has his own shops. So, he is very knowledgeable and can argue or even tell him what you want b/c you are paying for an independent versus a dealer. Most places here charge about $60 for trans. service and $10 for tire rotation. Considering I have 16's where tires are moderately cheap, I bought them through Costco, so FREE tire rotations.
What do you mean by: "I will admit that Lexus of Naperville was very cool about TAKING OFF the trans service (as well as the tire rotation)." You are paying them, so You call the shot. From other members, they ask to price what is literally being done on the car, not to include the 'INSPECTIONS."

So how much is for an average oil change for your old 3 at the dealer?
Old 05-26-04, 09:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS3Tek

What do you mean by: "I will admit that Lexus of Naperville was very cool about TAKING OFF the trans service (as well as the tire rotation)." You are paying them, so You call the shot. From other members, they ask to price what is literally being done on the car, not to include the 'INSPECTIONS."

So how much is for an average oil change for your old 3 at the dealer?
The inspections are actually required - total bunk if you ask me cause you know they don't do them. But from the perspective of adjusting their "recommended" service, our previous dealer was a total pain in the butt. They even tried to intimidate my wife saying that Lexus would not cover anything out of warranty because we did not do the recommended service - even though we were doing exactly that.

Oil changes on the 325i were $25. 15K service was approx $280 and my 30K service was $900 - but that included new brakes.
Old 05-27-04, 09:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, that's why they send us the survey from the dealer! And the bad publicity here on Club Lexus.