Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 08:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car

Well, I have searched, researched, drove, visited, pondered, hit my head against the wall, and in the end, after test driving over 15 cars, and studying countless others, I still have my GS400.
Cars I drove
1) M3 convertible with SMG-This was the car I really thought would replace my GS. I left with the same feeling 5 series owners feel when they drive one. Nice car, but certainly did not give me the "substantial feel" the Lexus does. Perhaps if I came from an IS, I would feel differently. I left disappointed. Not really the cars fault, just my expectations were too high. Damn magazines.
2) M5-preowned of course. Took me back to my 528 days of poor ergonomics and interior layout. Funky interior combo colors. Fast-yes, but that is it. Plus new model is weeks away.
3) Infiniti G35 Coupe. Did not even drive it. Not my kind of interior. Nice exterior. Nice car-for someone else.
4) Acura TL- Nice Nice Nice, but FWD pushed me away. RWD and it would be mine.
5) Chrysler 300C. Hey I had to look. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe when I'm 90 years old. Cool in a way. My coworker is buying one. Can’t wait to play.
6) Cadillac CTS. I guess I will never bring myself to buying a Cadi. Still cannot figure it out. Nice interior though. Even the CTS-V was nothing special. A SC GS will eat it.
7) GTO-I was in the area. Never drove it. Did not want to after looking at the interior.
8) Porsche 911 Carrera convertible. I love Porsches, but hate the interior of the 911. Looks too much like a Boxster in and out. Plus, the brand new Carrera looks like the old 993 series. At least the front.
9) Acura NSX. Thought about this one for a long time. 1992 and 1997 model year. 270- 290hp though it works them well. Folks, stay away from that auto NSX. Like 250hp.
Many others such as Mercedes, Audi, etc....
As you can see, I went all over the board on cars. Each time, I felt good in the GS afterwards. Nice interior. OK exterior. Mods woke it up. Ultra reliable as all of my Lexus vehicles have been.
The only car that almost offered what I was looking for was the SC430. The storage and rear styling is what held me back. But it is sweet on the inside. Now if I can take the interior of an SC and place it in one of the above.......

So......I decided to keep the GS and take the plunge to supercharge it. This will give me a year to play around till the new GS comes out. Hopefully the styling will change from the photos.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-18-04 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 09:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Congrats on keeping your baby. When you've found a car that fits and offers the craftsmanship and comforts to your liking, it is hard to find replacements except in the same line. I know I will continue to seek out either flavorings...Lexus or Toyota badged. Namely Lexus cause I prefer RWD.
Old 05-17-04, 09:15 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be different. go buy a Panoz . or atleast test drive the esperante and give a review. i have never seen one on the road

Last edited by southernsc; 05-17-04 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 10:03 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Wow.........u must've been dreaming about cars every night
For me, G35 Coupe with SC430 interior would be the best dream car........hehhh......that dream will never come true though
Old 05-17-04, 10:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Wow.........u must've been dreaming about cars every night
For me, G35 Coupe with SC430 interior would be the best dream car........hehhh......that dream will never come true though
Went from a dream to nightmares. Car shopping can be a B!T@H!!! I agree, a G35 with SC430 interior would be oh so nice.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-17-04 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 10:19 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your information could be invaluable to many many people.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the many different cars you chose to test drive.

Congrats on staying with the best.

-Anthony
Old 05-18-04, 06:22 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I am still looking for something to hold me over until the new GS comes out. I beat the shat out of this GS and refuse to drive it for another year.

Looked at a Ming blue Audi 4.2, no CPO deal though so I was turned off
I love the FX by Infiniti but just not sure......
CPO LS 430 is in the back of my mind
I had couple issues for a while and was thinking CPO SC 430 or CLK 430

I just think picking up a CPO GS will have to do me for now, since it is just the perfect car.

I did see a 2002 Q45 for like 32k , isn't that car like 60k new? Interior was awesome and I think the outside of the car is sexy, and not many around here...............
Old 05-18-04, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question Re: 6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car

Originally posted by Pearlpower
Well, I have searched, researched, drove, visited, pondered, hit my head against the wall, and in the end, after test driving over 15 cars, and studying countless others, I still have my GS400.
Cars I drove
1) M3 convertible with SMG-This was the car I really thought would replace my GS. I left with the same feeling 5 series owners feel when they drive one. Nice car, but certainly did not give me the "substantial feel" the Lexus does. Perhaps if I came from an IS, I would feel differently. I left disapointed. Not really the cars fault, just my expectations were too high. Damn magazines.
2) M5-preowned of course. Took me back to my 528 days of poor ergonomics and interior layout. Funky interior combo colors. Fast-yes, but that is it. Plus new model is weeks away.
3) Infiniti G35 Coupe. Did not even drive it. Not my kind of interior. Nice exterior.
4) Acura TL- Nice Nice Nice, but FWD pushed me away. RWD and it would be mine.
5) Chrysler 300C. Hey I had to look. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe when I'm 90 years old. Cool in a way.
6) Cadillac CTS. I guess I will never bring myself to buying a Cadi. Still cannot figure it out. Nice interior though. Even the CTS-V was nothing special. A SC GS will eat it.
7) GTO-I was in the area. Never drove it. Did not want to after looking at the interior.
8) Porsche 911 Carrera convertible. I love Porsches, but hate the interior of the 911. Looks too much like a Boxster in and out. Plus, the brand new Carrera looks like the old 993 series. At least the front.
9)Acura NSX. Thought about this one for a long time. 1992 and 1997 model year. 270- 290hp though it works them well. Folks, stay away from that auto NSX. Like 250hp.
Many others such as Mercedes, Audi, etc....
As you can see, I went all over the board on cars. Each time, I felt good in the GS afterwards.
The only car that almost offered what I was looking for was the SC430. The storage and rear styling is what held me back. But it is sweet on the inside. Now if I can take the interior of an SC and place it in one of the above.......

So......I decided to keep the GS and take the plunge to supercharge it. This will give me a year to play around till the new GS comes out. Hopefully the styling will change from the photos.

Just wanted to share.
I agree that Lexus products are the BEST, but as far as some of the other cars you listed here:

I think you would have liked the G35 had you drove it..it is as good or better than a non-M 3 series ( except, as you note, a cheap interior ), and unlike BMW's is reliable.

You don't have to be 90 years old to enjoy a 300C, especially a Hemi. But its hardware is clearly second-rate, in spite of the surface flashiness.

Did you actually drive a CTS-V ? Those in the auto press who have say it's America's first real answer to the M-cars. Typical GM interior cheapness, tho...I cam't agree with the "nice interior" comment.

How about the V8 Lincoln LS and the Jag S2000?...did you look at those?

Like you, though, I'm a real sucker for Lexus quality.
Old 05-18-04, 08:20 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Your information could be invaluable to many many people.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the many different cars you chose to test drive.

Congrats on staying with the best.

-Anthony
I couldn't have said it better. I know some people thinking of the GS400 to replace their current car and I plan to show them this link. Thanks.

On another comment....

Originally posted by mmarshall
Did you actually drive a CTS-V ? Those in the auto press who have say it's America's first real answer to the M-cars. Typical GM interior cheapness, tho...I cam't agree with the "nice interior" comment.
My friend just had one of these delivered. His is 400 HP LS6 with a 6 spd. I'm not so sure that a SC GS would beat it, although it would probably be close. And the interior was fairly nice, but definitely not as nice as my Lexus.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-18-04 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-18-04, 10:10 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

great post man, I have to agree, the GS400 is quite a spoiler. The 2nd Gen is a gift from Lexus due to its long design cycle as well (normally Japanese designs have a 4yr design cycle, we are on yr 6! )

I too considered other cars to replace my 1st Gen GS (E430, 540, A6 4.2), but in the end the GS won due to its overall "goodness". As long as I only have 1 play car, that car will be a Lexus of some sort. (unless someone just 'gives me a preowned M5 I just love those, I'll deal with the ergonomic shortcomings LOL)
Old 05-18-04, 02:04 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

ameican cars' interior is X@#$%.
mmarshall was saying that 05 mustang would have colorful gauge light. that, i'm looking forward to it!
Old 05-18-04, 02:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by talgrl626
ameican cars' interior is X@#$%.
mmarshall was saying that 05 mustang would have colorful gauge light. that, i'm looking forward to it!
I understand the Mustang will have changeable colors for the gauges. Still....not sure how many people will buy a Stang due to that, but every little bit helps on a Ford.
Old 05-18-04, 04:03 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car

Originally posted by Pearlpower

Just wanted to share.
Good choice and I concur. My car is 6 1/2 years old and I have not found anything [less than twice the price] that I would trade for. And I still get compliments on the car from high school kids to high tech executives. Been thinking about a SC for a while -- perhaps it's time to give in to peer pressure and take the plunge.
Old 05-18-04, 09:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

You like your car better than the M5?
Old 05-18-04, 09:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
You like your car better than the M5?
Take away the drivetrain and what do you have left?

Have you actually been in a M5?

The interior is horrible. IMO of course. Typical 5 series which I had in my 528. Now I am sure some like it, but since it is my $$ I do not. Plus, since I have to sit in the interior of a car more than I WOT, the interior is important to me. Not saying I do not like the car, just not for me. Whether it has 500 or 800hp. There is more to a car than just HP ratings.
Just my choice. Yours is probably different. Now if you want to give me the money to buy my next car, then at that time, I will be more than happy to take the M5.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-18-04 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 6 years! Yet still,nobody makes a nicer car