Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ferrari... most desirable car on the planet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-04, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink Most desirable car?

Originally posted by FLiP Sp33d
does anyone agree or disagree?
How about this?.......some people say the most desirable car on the planet is a car that is PAID FOR.
Old 05-20-04, 09:31 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the Murcialago I chose earlier. Is this anyone else's favorite?
Attached Thumbnails ferrari... most desirable car on the planet?-lambo.jpg  

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 05-20-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-20-04, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up Favorite

Originally posted by JLSC4
Here's the Murcialago I choice earlier. Is this anyone else's favorite?
Among Italian cars, yes.
Old 05-20-04, 10:00 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well even though some used Modenas are sort of affordable around $120K, a little bit pricey but ok. It's till you hit insurance and maintance fees that you will be hitting your head @ the wall. In the end you ended up with the $120K weekend car that you really don't want to drive everyday. More miles = more expensive maintance.
And stay away from old Ferraris (F50 included)!!!!!!

I would rather get CL55 AMG or '04 NSX anyday over Ferrari. I am not a fan of MB at all but right now they are the only one that make something like CL, I hope Lexus comes up with competitor one day.
Old 05-20-04, 10:42 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

if money was no object...and I only had a Maranello I'd be one happy guy!

Last edited by Seize; 05-20-04 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 11:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrari makes some derirable cars but not the most desirable cars for me.
Old 05-20-04, 11:56 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Porsche 911GT3 OwNz YoU

period. I want nothing else.
Old 05-20-04, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me the ferrari looks the best, over austin martin and lambo

and of course, if i have the choice, i would get the gt3, more street friendly. though somehow i don't think it's as "exotic", hahha... maybe i see too many of them on the street
Old 05-20-04, 01:04 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is Aston Martin. It has too much style.
Old 05-20-04, 03:53 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven all of these cars except the McLaren. We are fortunate to have several wealthy and trusting customers... my neighbors think I am nuts when I show up in one of these cars (of course, the reality is that I AM nuts)- this is one part of my job that is a hell of a perk!

I have an uncle who has owned dozens of exotic cars over the last 30 years, and his philosophy was and still is "I won't buy a car unless I intend to drive it." I grew up with this philosophy, and many fond memories of riding in his '63 Shelby Cobra (289 narrow-body), '65 427 S/C Shelby Cobra (427), '67 Corvette 427, '72 Pantera, '76 Ferrari 308 (original early fiberglass-bodied car, only about 100 were brought to the US to evaluate the body style), '77 Porsche 930, Formula A race car, Sunbeam Tiger, Chevelle 454, etc.

1) The Murcielago is a pig. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Italian cars- but this car is large, heavy, difficult to see out of, and would barely idle (it had only 600 miles on it). It isn't exactly light on its' feet- I prefer a car that is a bit more nimble. It is certainly quick in a straight line, but I would not want to drive it every day.

2) The Vanquish is a fabulous car. While not exactly nimble, it is a car you could lend to your mom and not worry about (if she can operate the F-1 style paddle shifters, that is...). If you could buy ONE exotic car only, and wanted a smooth, comfortable, fast touring car, this is THE CAR for you.

3) Porsche GT3- a great car. Unfortunately, it looks like all the other 996-bodied cars, WAY to common in So Cal. A great driver's car, reminisent of the older 911s where you can pitch the tail out at-will. Heck of a car for $100K. My preference would be the GT2, as it is SCARY fast!! But since you're paying, buy the GT3 for the track, and the GT2 to scare the crap out of yourself on the street!

4) Ferrari 360 Modena. My favorite of the bunch. Screaming, lusty V8, neutral balance, great brakes, knock-out looks. Flickable, tossable, predictable- and a car you could drive every day. If you have the coin, try the Stradale... the same, just MORE of it. I mean, Titanium lug bolts, brake rotor hats, and muffler? This car is serious! If I could chose only one of the above, I would almost certainly choose the 360. C'mon, who wouldn't want a Ferrari?

As far as the reliability factor... well... that's why we all drive Lexuses. The Porsches aren't bulletproof, either. And one of my best friends made $100K last year as a Master Technician for Fletcher Jones Mercedes (they playfully refer to the new E-Class, which has an MB chassis code of "W211" as W2-e-lemon, or trouble-you-two-e-lemon). Yes, Mercedes repairs paid for his 26' fishing boat and Ducati 996S last year...

Bottom line- if you can afford a $100K car, you can afford a $5500 clutch replacement.
Old 05-20-04, 04:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: ...

Originally posted by Seize
if money was no object...and I only had a Maranello I'd be one happy guy!
If money was raining like water, it would be the 557 Maranello. If anyone has seen one of my previous posts about my love affair with the classic coupe shape, you'll understand. Long sloping hood, rakish windshield and roof, short rear deck, huge wheel wells, sleek body, etc...
I've read a lot of articles about it...Ferrari claims this beast has been made civil enough for daily driving. The guys at Car and Driver TV said the same one episode. That's all it took to take me over the top. I would have sex with this car if I could (don't tell my wife). Just kidding but this is my all time favorite car.
Next would be the Aston Martin Vanquish. Whew, more sex.
Old 05-20-04, 07:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i read that an oil change for the ferrari enzo is about 14k?
Old 05-20-04, 07:35 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally i hate the ferrari i have driven one and its too small and the performance doesnt feel like its totally there call me crazy but i would buy a cheaper car and mod the hell out of it to spank the ferrari anyday again just my opinion
Old 05-20-04, 08:23 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lvangundy
1st. Mclaren F1 LM
2nd. Ferrari F50

and a slew of others..
You hit the nail on the head. Mclaren is definetly what I am all about.

-Anthony
Old 05-20-04, 11:31 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

for me id say the ferrari 360 stradale... yummy!!! I aggree, the ferrari is more desirable, mainly because you see it and you know its a ferrari. only a semi serious or above car enthusiast can tell a lamborghini out of a crowd just by looking at the shape of the car, but a ferrari is distinctive. you can make out the prancing horse design from a distance.

Quick Reply: ferrari... most desirable car on the planet?