Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Must...reveal...my plans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 10:57 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must...reveal...my plans...

This has been a tough week for me and after really sitting down and thinking about it, I realized there was no future for me and my SC400, as how I saw it when I bought it. I think its almost time to let my baby go. I know a lot of you won't agree with me on this, but since near birth, my passion has been for big fast American cars. I saw this car though and immediately fell in love with it. The shape, the smooth engine, interior, all near perfect. Especially for 1996. However, I need a car that has aftermarket, and something I can get my hadns dirty with. I need something faster. Praying, and spending thousands (TC, exhaust, ECU, LSD) to get into the 14s just doesn't make sense to me. I'm young and don't think I can appreciate my car for the luxury ride that it is. That is why I feel I must move on. I know I will be back eventually when it's time to buy my own car but for now I feel it's the right thing.

I'm writing this because I almost feel guilty leaving her, but be sure I'll be around because this is by far the nicest, most level-headed forum out there.

So, the question is...what will replace the SC???

Well, after much research, and talking to my parents and what-not, I decided on a low miles 1986-1987 Buick Grand National. Since the first time I saw one I was enamoured, and since I have a thing for big black coupes I think it'll be a perfect fit! For those of you who don't know what they are...

I know it has no styling like the SC, but for me, I think it'll help me get my prorities straight. Well, there it is folks. What do you think? Please don't rip into me too hard

Oh, and keep your eyes out on the classifieds in a month or so. You may just see a black on black 96 pop up.

James
Old 05-20-04, 04:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile Enjoy your wheels

No need to feel bad, Jet. A little variety is the spice of life. You say you are too young to appreciate a luxury ride. Heck, when I was in my teens, I liked BOTH muscle cars AND luxury cars.....and still do today. That's one of the nice things about the Lexus IS, GS, and SC...they combine both so well.
The Grand National was built during the mid-to-late 1980's as an attempt by Buick to once again market to younger people.....Buick has one of the highest average age of its buyers of any automaker on the market. The Buick GS350 and 400 was marketed in the late 60's and early 70's but was not as successful as its corporate brothers Pontiac GTO and Chevy Chevelle SS. The Grand National, to some extent, brought part of that image back but was built in limited numbers...and generally only in solid black.
The main things to watch out for in this era ( mid-to-late1980's ) GM cars are engine electrical problems like voltage regulators, coils, etc..., problems with the lock-up torque converters (if yours is a Turbo-Hydra matic), defective power steering racks ( GM called it "Morning Sickness") where the steering is VERY hard until the fluid is warm, and warpage in the brake rotors, especially in a high-performance car like yours that may have been driven hard. Also, try to see if the oil changes were documented...this is very important in a turbo engine. Yours probably has the turbo V6.
Anyhow, enjoy it. If it is in excellent shape...and you keep it that way....that car will probably be worth some real money in the future.
Old 05-20-04, 07:33 AM
C-Train
Lead Lap

that buick's pretty badass
Old 05-20-04, 08:24 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice, I've liked GN's since I was a child. GN's are fast stock out the box and they have loads of left over potential.

Make sure you talk to LexLuthor, from what I remember he's had a couple sick GN's with big HP.

EDIT: What about slapping a turbo on a SC300 5MT? Best of both worlds.

Last edited by Technics; 05-20-04 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 09:05 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

GN's are awesome. One of the few American cars I would like to own.
Old 05-20-04, 09:30 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice for a replacement!!! You cant go wrong with a Turbo V6 GN, and with all turbo cars making power isnt going to be a problem with this one.

"Mod on brotha"
Old 05-20-04, 11:33 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great replacement man!!
Now just be sure to stop by from time to time and keep us posted.
Old 05-20-04, 12:53 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Great choice, back in January I decided to add an older vehicle to play around with and had it narrowed down to the GN, 95 or 96 Impala SS, or a GMC Syclone. After a month and a half of looking I finally found a '91 Syclone in Portland and bought it. There are some nice GN's around here, good luck and have fun with it, I am
Old 05-20-04, 01:54 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

congrets.

#1. no need to worry about gas price?
#2. reliability?
#3. if it's that one u r getting, get it. if not... it'd look like a beater til u cheery it up...

let us know.
Old 05-20-04, 02:55 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the replies guys. Glad to see you're all being nice. I decided this over the SC300 5 speed only because I felt it was time for something different. Believe me, when it's time to own a beater or whatever, I'll be coming right back here for an early ES or SC. I'm not too worried about gas or too much driving because in September I'll be going off to college and the GN will stay at home (only about 30 min away) so I'll have time to tear it down or do whatever I need to. First thing I'll be doing when I get it is a tune up replacing all belts, fluids, cap, rotor, and plugs so that'll ease my mind a lot. I'm not looking for something to run tens on pump gas because it'll be my only car, but knowing I have an easy low 13 car (after a few mods) with me at all times will feel good. Also when I have a reliable daily then I can really crack into this thing and go at it. This isn't the exact one I'm looking at but it was a great model to show of what mine will hopefully look like. Thanks again, and for sure I'll still be back here.

James
Old 05-20-04, 05:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grand National

You will not be disappointed with a Grand National...especially if you like to get your hands dirty. One of my co-workers has one. I make excuses to ride with him when I can. THAT THING IS COOL.
Old 05-20-04, 11:35 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

My friends dad has one of those putting out 700 hp on a low boost setting... that car tuned right is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Ill take some pics and post them next time i go to her house.