Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazdaspeed MX-5 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-04, 05:54 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazdaspeed MX-5 test drive

I just test drove the mazdaspeed mx-5 (miata) and let me say that it is a blast to drive. The turbo kicking in and the great sound of the blowoff valve and performance muffler is music. Handling is also unbelieveable. I was most surprised by the very comfortable seats, the interior build quality, and the great ride. Overall this vehicle is an amazing drive. This is my first time in a turbo car and now I'm hooked. Price isnt bad either $26,000. Racing heart wheels, bose sound, smoked headlights, new front bumper. They are very limited production too. The only downside I guess is that it still looks like a miata. (nothing wrong with that but I love originality.) Well Just wanted to know everyone opinions on the car and I recommend a test drive if you can!
Old 05-20-04, 06:13 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

The mazdaspeed is what the miata needed all along. A turbo in such a light car should make for a fun ride! I drove my friend's 96 miata and i gotta say, it handles so nicely. Only thing is that it had no power and the interior was really small(and i'm only 5' 10"). I love convertables(1st one i ever drove or rode in) and the miata would make a great weekend car. Would be horrible driving that thing around everyday considering that theres no trunk space and theres so many SUVs out there(i'm nervous even in my rsx), but if u have daily driver, then the miata would be a great car to get, especially the mazdaspeed model. Maybe go check out the toyota mr2, the honda s2000, and maybe wait for a lotus elise(haha..significantly more expensive than the others but well worth it)?
Old 05-20-04, 06:25 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

I'm driving an MR-2 now, I'd love the lotus, that thing is amazing.
Old 05-20-04, 06:45 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jhenty
I'm driving an MR-2 now, I'd love the lotus, that thing is amazing.
oh haha..hows the mr2 compare? and yesssss...go lotus!!
Old 05-20-04, 06:59 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

mr2 handles just as well if not a little better, but it doesnt feel anywhere near as fast. Its only slower by half a second i think but that mx-5 pulls hard. The mazdas interior is much better though. I love the Mr-2, its like driving a go cart around. Plus its very rare My favorite part.
Old 05-20-04, 07:03 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Zoom Zoom !!

looking forward to this new RX-7. check out the link

http://www.rx8club.com/attachment.php?postid=355814
Old 05-21-04, 10:10 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

mr2's are very fun to drive but about them being rare? definately not, there are tons of them in ny. just within a group of my friends there have been 6 mr2's that have been bought, used and sold. there are 2 left now.. would anyone like to buy a mr2 turbo?
Old 05-21-04, 05:18 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That mazdaspeed mx-5 is pretty nice. I've always been a fan of miatas, but power or not I'd be hard pressed to buy one. The value is incredible and small cars do tend to be more fun to drive, but I too would be freaking out everytime I got on the freeway. I live in So. California, land of the world's worst female drivers with ***** envy (i.e. they're all 4'6" and drive raised Excursions while swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid a dime-sized pothole) These people are so oblivious behind the wheel that they'd run over 5 miatas in a row and still not pause once during the cell phone conversation. That and the fact that I can't stand soft-tops.
Old 05-21-04, 05:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i was reading about MX-5 in this month issue of SCC and everything they said was good things and they really like it a lot.
if you havent test drove Honda S2000, you should go for it before getting MX-5 if you are planning to.
the power band after VTEC kicked in is just a blast.
Old 05-21-04, 05:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TruenoHatchiRok
The mazdaspeed is what the miata needed all along. A turbo in such a light car should make for a fun ride! I drove my friend's 96 miata and i gotta say, it handles so nicely. Only thing is that it had no power and the interior was really small(and i'm only 5' 10"). I love convertables(1st one i ever drove or rode in) and the miata would make a great weekend car. Would be horrible driving that thing around everyday considering that theres no trunk space and theres so many SUVs out there(i'm nervous even in my rsx), but if u have daily driver, then the miata would be a great car to get, especially the mazdaspeed model. Maybe go check out the toyota mr2, the honda s2000, and maybe wait for a lotus elise(haha..significantly more expensive than the others but well worth it)?
lotus elise is powerd by MR2 engine too.

anyway, ill love my DC5 until i have enough money to buy M3 lol
Old 05-21-04, 10:24 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DC52E55
lotus elise is powerd by MR2 engine too.

anyway, ill love my DC5 until i have enough money to buy M3 lol
actually its powered by the celica gts engine.

yea me too, the dc5 is a great car for the money, but i'll be saving up for a evo or sti next..
Old 05-23-04, 02:22 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

"mr2's are very fun to drive but about them being rare? definately not, there are tons of them in ny. just within a group of my friends there have been 6 mr2's that have been bought, used and sold. there are 2 left now.. would anyone like to buy a mr2 turbo?"

I have an mr-2 spyder......these are only made at 5,000 units per year. If your talking about the old gen then I suppose there are more. And I'd love to pick up an older one 1991-1995 generation two for a project.
Old 05-24-04, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Leets
That mazdaspeed mx-5 is pretty nice. I've always been a fan of miatas, but power or not I'd be hard pressed to buy one. The value is incredible and small cars do tend to be more fun to drive, but I too would be freaking out everytime I got on the freeway. I live in So. California, land of the world's worst female drivers with ***** envy (i.e. they're all 4'6" and drive raised Excursions while swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid a dime-sized pothole) These people are so oblivious behind the wheel that they'd run over 5 miatas in a row and still not pause once during the cell phone conversation. That and the fact that I can't stand soft-tops.
You can get a factory bolt-on hardtop for the Miata ( if they haven't discontinued the option ) but it runs the better part of $2000 and you'd better be short....you won't have much headroom at all.
Old 05-24-04, 08:03 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

jhenty if your serious about picking up a older mr2. my friend has a 91 for sale, the turbos are stil strong and the body is in good condition. pm me if your interested. The car is located in queens n.y. It's a white 5 speed. Forgot the amount of miles. I'll find out if your interested

-Anthony
Old 05-25-04, 08:06 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Turbos are?

Originally posted by mrshabo
jhenty if your serious about picking up a older mr2. my friend has a 91 for sale, the turbos are stil strong and the body is in good condition. pm me if your interested. The car is located in queens n.y. It's a white 5 speed. Forgot the amount of miles. I'll find out if your interested

-Anthony
"...turbos are..."

MR-2s only have one turbo.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed MX-5 test drive