Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Nissan will introduce a 2005 Altima SE-R with a 265 HP version of the 3.5L V6. Obviously this will be a corporate big brother to the Sentra SE-R. Many details are still forthcoming but dome of them can be found on the June issue of AUTOMOBILE Magazine at Automobile.com and the "Future Vehicles" part of the Nissan website Nissanusa.com
This looks like maybe a nice alternative for those who like the Infiniti G35 but can't quite hack the payments...but, as a FWD product, the Altima SE-R probably won't have the handling of either the RWD or AWD G35. And, like the 270 HP Acura TL, all that FWD power probably means torque steer, too.
Old 05-21-04, 07:03 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're making these Altima's quick, to the point where their performance is on par with or overshadows the Maxima which I don't think should be happening. I remember MT tested one SE that hit 0-60 in 5.9!!!! That's Z territory.

Great drivetrain but subpar interior, overall a good value though. Too bad it's FWD.
Old 05-21-04, 08:10 AM
LexFather

Default Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Originally posted by mmarshall
Nissan will introduce a 2005 Altima SE-R with a 265 HP version of the 3.5L V6. Obviously this will be a corporate big brother to the Sentra SE-R. Many details are still forthcoming but dome of them can be found on the June issue of AUTOMOBILE Magazine at Automobile.com and the "Future Vehicles" part of the Nissan website Nissanusa.com
This looks like maybe a nice alternative for those who like the Infiniti G35 but can't quite hack the payments...but, as a FWD product, the Altima SE-R probably won't have the handling of either the RWD or AWD G35. And, like the 270 HP Acura TL, all that FWD power probably means torque steer, too.
A loaded Altima is about 31k. A G35 starts at 28k, with leather/roof 30k. A loaded Altima is a complete rip-off. The G35 is superior in all aspects but size. This SE-R is a good move for Nissan though, as the more badges a car has, the more people want them.

Old 05-21-04, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A loaded Altima is about 31k. A G35 starts at 28k, with leather/roof 30k. A loaded Altima is a complete rip-off. The G35 is superior in all aspects but size. This SE-R is a good move for Nissan though, as the more badges a car has, the more people want them.
Prices have not yet been announced but I agree with you that the new SE-R will probably be close to 30K.
I agree that the G35 is better in every way except for engine power (they're about tied) and the lousy RWD traction....and the G35 AWD will take care of the RWD traction problem. The Altima's biggest rip-off (as you put it) , I think is its cheap, econobox interior....cheaper-looking than even today's Kias.
Still, there will be for the most part a significant price differental...not many G35's actually go out the door for 30K or less. But....something far beyond the purchase price of either of these cars will be the question of whether or not high-performance cars like this will continue to sell in significant numbers, period....gas is just going through the roof...(see my thread on gas prices)....93-octane now averages above $2.30 in this area.
Old 05-21-04, 11:23 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, you're right about the torgue steer. I test drove a 5 speed Altima 3.5 SE with 240 hp and that can was a torque-steering pig. I actually considered buying one of those things and I'm very glad that I did not. The torque steer and the cheap interior with oceans of plastic and the box cutter cut out for the fuel door release were major turnoffs. I can't imagine the SE-R has improved in the torque steer department.
Old 05-21-04, 05:10 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

93-octane now averages above $2.30 in this area.
damn, must be nice... 2.30 is the cheapest I've found for 87.
Old 05-21-04, 08:17 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Prices have not yet been announced but I agree with you that the new SE-R will probably be close to 30K.
I agree that the G35 is better in every way except for engine power (they're about tied) and the lousy RWD traction....and the G35 AWD will take care of the RWD traction problem. The Altima's biggest rip-off (as you put it) , I think is its cheap, econobox interior....cheaper-looking than even today's Kias.
Still, there will be for the most part a significant price differental...not many G35's actually go out the door for 30K or less. But....something far beyond the purchase price of either of these cars will be the question of whether or not high-performance cars like this will continue to sell in significant numbers, period....gas is just going through the roof...(see my thread on gas prices)....93-octane now averages above $2.30 in this area.
Actually the new 05 Altimas interior is SHARP and very refined compared to before. Obviously you haven't looked.

What RWD traction problems? We have none.
Old 05-21-04, 09:26 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Not that I am defending Nissan, but the 05 interiors have been redesigned due to the overwhelming complaints. The 04's and older were pretty crummy inside, but the new Altima is getting close to Maxima territory as technics stated. In fact, I'm not quite sure why you would even buy a Maxima. I mean you could go for the new Altima which is superb(-torque steer) or the G35 which is close to, if not the same price as the G35. The only reason I would get a Maxima would be to look like a GS430, hahaha. Don't flame me please. I love the Altima. . . I think it is a great deal-- I had a 3.5SE manual dealed down to 26k, but I decided not to buy it because of FWD. The G35 is very tempting to me though. . . one thing, does the G35 have traction problems? I test drove an auto G35 and found it hard to break traction, even when I tried! Maybe the manual is different. . .
Old 05-21-04, 10:30 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Old 05-22-04, 12:15 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by G35_TX

Yes, it is better. That is b/c it could ONLY get better. The Altima interior was the worst interior of any modern day car. The redesigned one is better not great or class leading but better. A lot better.

Old 05-22-04, 10:24 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, it is better. That is b/c it could ONLY get better. The Altima interior was the worst interior of any modern day car. The redesigned one is better not great or class leading but better. A lot better.
Well, we have a 2003 Altima, and she loves it. I don't mind the interior that much. It is MUCH cheaper than my G35 in quality, but it works for her.
Old 05-22-04, 02:34 PM
LexFather

I have to get my head out my *** sometimes. The Altima interior is okay for the price and what it is for. In driving the 3.5, that sucka is fast.

Old 05-25-04, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Originally posted by G35_TX
Actually the new 05 Altimas interior is SHARP and very refined compared to before. Obviously you haven't looked.

What RWD traction problems? We have none.
Yes, there have been a few improvements but Nissan / Infiniti still is not one of the better manufacturers for interior quality. If you want to see some class acts in this area, check out the Lexus ES330, LS430, SC 430, the Audi A4-6-8, upper-level VW's, and the new Ford F-150 Lariat. The ES330 interior (for the price) impresses me so much it may be my next car.
Old 05-25-04, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Wink OOPS !

And.................how could I possibly forget the Jaguars when it comes to classy interiors?
Old 05-25-04, 09:58 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Yes, there have been a few improvements but Nissan / Infiniti still is not one of the better manufacturers for interior quality. If you want to see some class acts in this area, check out the Lexus ES330, LS430, SC 430, the Audi A4-6-8, upper-level VW's, and the new Ford F-150 Lariat. The ES330 interior (for the price) impresses me so much it may be my next car.
Look at my sig for what cars I own. I know how the interiors rack up. I also had a 2003 Audi A4 1.8t for a short time. That had the best interior out of any car I owned. But hated no power.

Quick Reply: 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R