Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 10:53 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buick LaCrosse

Hey look - it's the new Hyundai Tiburon!

Oh wait ... oh, never mind, it's a Buick.
Attached Thumbnails Buick LaCrosse-la_home.jpg  
Old 05-27-04, 11:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey, I thought Buick was shut down??? Why are they still on the road?
Old 05-27-04, 12:05 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

that was oldsmobile
Old 05-27-04, 12:08 PM
GS3Tek

oops. Thanks. That was Oldsmobile. I guess Buick should be next then
Old 05-29-04, 01:21 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Default Yep

Yeah - there's no telling exactly why GM keeps Buick around. I think it's a bad idea to divest Cadillac's Escalade profits into a completely fallen brand like Buick. But, Caddy was (and still is to some extent) down and out not too long ago.

I just don't think the LaCrosse is to Buick what the CTS is and what the upcoming STS (despite the styling) will be to Cadillac - and GM as a whole.
Old 05-29-04, 02:10 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

GM just can't keep closing the doors on their brands, they spent 900 million to pay off Oldsmobile dealers, it easy to stop making the cars but the dealers are the problem, if the dealers where not a problem Saturn would probably be gone but GM is gonna redo the whole lineup

Buicks problem was their customer base was dieing, but with Tiger Woods and the Rendezvous they lowered their average customer ager to like 54 anyone notice the Rainier thats the Oldsmobile Bravado and the Terraza, minivan with a truck like front

GM problem is they spread themselves to thin, the trailblazer now has a Saab nameplate
Old 05-29-04, 07:35 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Buick LaCrosse

Originally posted by whipimpin
Hey look - it's the new Hyundai Tiburon!

Oh wait ... oh, never mind, it's a Buick.
i think Tiburon looks a lot better than that
Old 05-29-04, 11:00 AM
LexFather

Buick officials talking.
Lexus GS headlights....CHECK!
Lexyus GS C-pillar......CHECK!

And I honestly don't think Buick is that bad. It's just not for us.

Old 05-29-04, 07:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Locrosse is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.
It makes Chris Bangle look like a genius. What is GM
thinking when they approve a design like this?
The only good Buick design in the last 10 years is
the current Century which is at the end of it's life cycle.
And that's the cheapest model!

Too many companies have tried unsuccessfully to use
a dual lense headlight design. It was originally a signature
of Jaguar, Lexus, and then MB. They did it right. Now we
see pathetic examples on Hyundai's & Kia's and now Buick?

Old 05-30-04, 09:29 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by EDGE2
GM just can't keep closing the doors on their brands, they spent 900 million to pay off Oldsmobile dealers, it easy to stop making the cars but the dealers are the problem, if the dealers where not a problem Saturn would probably be gone but GM is gonna redo the whole lineup

Buicks problem was their customer base was dieing, but with Tiger Woods and the Rendezvous they lowered their average customer ager to like 54 anyone notice the Rainier thats the Oldsmobile Bravado and the Terraza, minivan with a truck like front

GM problem is they spread themselves to thin, the trailblazer now has a Saab nameplate
Actually, I think the Buick Rainier is off the Trailblazer / Bravada (Ret.) / GMC Envoy platform not GM's minivan chassis.

The Upcoming Chevy Venture replacement the Uplander is what you're referring to I think ... it will have a slew of GM Brand Copies sold under different marques; one by Buick which will be called the Terraza.

AND HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new Acura RL (2005) is a giant carbon copy of the Mazda3 ... only with 20s. HOW TERRIBLE IS THAT?!!
Attached Thumbnails Buick LaCrosse-029709-e.jpg  
Old 05-31-04, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question Shut Buick down?

Originally posted by GS3Tek
oops. Thanks. That was Oldsmobile. I guess Buick should be next then
Let's see if you feel the same way 30 or 40 years from now....when you're running around in a Park Avenue or Lesabre.
Old 05-31-04, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Buick officials talking.
Lexus GS headlights....CHECK!
Lexyus GS C-pillar......CHECK!

And I honestly don't think Buick is that bad. It's just not for us.
I agree with 1SICKLEX... Buick is indeed a good car for some people....those who want a smooth, quiet ride, at least fairly good reliability, and want to buy an American nameplate. While they generally appeal to an older crowd (with rare exceptions like the Grand National), you don't necessarily HAVE to be old to like a gentle, relaxing car after a hard day's work...especially a job that's hard on your back like loading trucks, lifting heavy things, construction, etc.....
Like much of the rest of GM, however, Buick needs to get its act together in the fit-and-finish area...their cars simply look and feel too cheap.
I disagree, however with the posts about Buick's ( and Cadillac's and Lincoln-Mercury's ) customer base dying off. Don't forget....today's young dudes are tomorrow's fathers and grandpas. The average life expectancy keeps getting longer and longer all the time. And the largest American generation in history...80 million post-WWII baby boomers...are almost ready to retire and move into granny-cars.
Old 06-01-04, 08:52 AM
GS3Tek

Default Re: Shut Buick down?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Let's see if you feel the same way 30 or 40 years from now....when you're running around in a Park Avenue or Lesabre.
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but 30-40 years from now, I still won't be driving in a Park Avenue or LeSabre. They will be too big for my old-age slow-reaction brain and will have more problems than a Lexus. The steering will be too hard for me to turn and the buttons will be too hard for me to push. I will be in an LS by then, new or used.
Old 06-01-04, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Shut Buick down?

Originally posted by GS3Tek
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but 30-40 years from now, I still won't be driving in a Park Avenue or LeSabre. They will be too big for my old-age slow-reaction brain and will have more problems than a Lexus. The steering will be too hard for me to turn and the buttons will be too hard for me to push. I will be in an LS by then, new or used.

Yeah, I was just kidding...not every senior citizen drives a Buick. Some of the more limited-income ones drive Geo and Chevy Metros.
If you're in an LS by then I will probably be with you...if I can afford one. For now, at least, it is probably the best luxury car available.
And listen....don't assume that old age necessarily means slow reactions or an inability to think. Carroll Shelby is 80-something and Chuck Yeagher is the same age.....and they still drive race cars and fly fighter jets.
Old 06-18-05, 11:01 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

when I see that new Buick LaCrosse on the road next to my 2004 ES330, it's obvious to me that they copied the 2002+ ES - Especially from the side. The Buick is of course GARISH.

Quick Reply: Buick LaCrosse