Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus in japan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 12:26 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus in japan

Here's in interesting article about Lexus moving into Japan from Reuters....

By Chang-Ran Kim, Asia auto correspondent
NAGOYA, Japan (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. aims to oust its German rivals as the top sellers of luxury cars in Japan with plans to bring its Lexus brand, already the top U.S. luxury car, to Japanese drivers next year.

With a 43 percent share of Japan's car market, the world's second largest, Toyota is by far the dominant force on its home turf, but it has lagged in the luxury sector.

The world's number-two auto maker said on Wednesday it initially aimed to sell 50,000 to 60,000 Lexus cars a year in Japan and would eventually raise that to 100,000 -- or one-third of Japan's luxury car market.

"Lexus has been very well-received in the United States, but when we look at Toyota's place in the domestic luxury car market, it's unsatisfactory," Toyota Executive Vice President Kazushi Iwatsuki told a news conference.

"In order to become a global brand, we need it to succeed in Japan."

Toyota will launch the Lexus in Japan in August 2005 and roll out four new models in the first year, each bearing a design concept distinct from existing Lexus cars, which are currently sold in Japan under the Toyota brand.

The new models will eventually replace the Lexus LS, GS and IS sedans and the SC coupe already sold in most markets outside Japan.

"We intend to build the Lexus into the new global premium brand for the 21st century," Iwatsuki said.

But foreign marques, led by Mercedes-Benz and BMW, account for one-third of Japan's full-sized car market, selling 244,000 units last year.

Toyota's sales of high-end large sedans, meanwhile, fell below 8,000 units a month in 2003, from about 12,000 in 2000.

Read rest of article at this link: By Chang-Ran Kim, Asia auto correspondent
NAGOYA, Japan (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. aims to oust its German rivals as the top sellers of luxury cars in Japan with plans to bring its Lexus brand, already the top U.S. luxury car, to Japanese drivers next year.

With a 43 percent share of Japan's car market, the world's second largest, Toyota is by far the dominant force on its home turf, but it has lagged in the luxury sector.

The world's number-two auto maker said on Wednesday it initially aimed to sell 50,000 to 60,000 Lexus cars a year in Japan and would eventually raise that to 100,000 -- or one-third of Japan's luxury car market.

"Lexus has been very well-received in the United States, but when we look at Toyota's place in the domestic luxury car market, it's unsatisfactory," Toyota Executive Vice President Kazushi Iwatsuki told a news conference.

"In order to become a global brand, we need it to succeed in Japan."

Toyota will launch the Lexus in Japan in August 2005 and roll out four new models in the first year, each bearing a design concept distinct from existing Lexus cars, which are currently sold in Japan under the Toyota brand.

The new models will eventually replace the Lexus LS, GS and IS sedans and the SC coupe already sold in most markets outside Japan.

"We intend to build the Lexus into the new global premium brand for the 21st century," Iwatsuki said.

But foreign marques, led by Mercedes-Benz and BMW, account for one-third of Japan's full-sized car market, selling 244,000 units last year.

Toyota's sales of high-end large sedans, meanwhile, fell below 8,000 units a month in 2003, from about 12,000 in 2000.

Read rest of article at this link: http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=5263290
Old 05-27-04, 12:34 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Exclamation Its about to get ugly...

The TAKEOVER has begun
Old 05-27-04, 04:24 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

lexus is definetely spreading. My uncle currently owns 2 toyota dealership in the philippines and he said that soon lexus will also be brought there. He plans to start a lexus dealership as soon as its available. He said its gonna cost a **** load more to start one though. He's been going to japan back and forth to meet with the toyota execs about it.

Also, infiniti is also being brought over seas as well. Its currently going to be sold in korea and eventually other places.
Old 05-27-04, 09:13 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Xenthar
lexus is definetely spreading. My uncle currently owns 2 toyota dealership in the philippines and he said that soon lexus will also be brought there. He plans to start a lexus dealership as soon as its available. He said its gonna cost a **** load more to start one though. He's been going to japan back and forth to meet with the toyota execs about it.

Also, infiniti is also being brought over seas as well. Its currently going to be sold in korea and eventually other places.
It's gonna be hard for "Lexus" and "Infiniti" to sell in the other parts of the Asiatic region. Especially since Toyota still slaps on it's badge on just about every lexus model that rolls off the JDM assembly line. People here still firmly believe that Lexus is still a glorified Toyota and Infiniti is a glorified mazda.

I mean I can slap all the L badges I want all over my aristo, but people will still just be like "oh, it's a toyota".

Sucks huh?
Old 05-27-04, 09:30 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Xenthar

now it's my understanding that the lineup of toyota vehicles are limited to small cars and the passenger vans...does he sell aristos in the philippines...would be great to ship one over?
Old 05-27-04, 09:31 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Infiniti is a glorified mazda.

I mean I can slap all the L badges I want all over my aristo, but people will still just be like "oh, it's a toyota".

Sucks huh?
Infiniti...Nissan
Old 05-27-04, 10:28 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight from them
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/0526.html
Old 05-27-04, 10:44 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DPRSupra
now it's my understanding that the lineup of toyota vehicles are limited to small cars and the passenger vans...does he sell aristos in the philippines...would be great to ship one over?
The reason why lexus would actually work out in the philippines is because none of the lexus cars here exist in the philippines. Like they dont sell the toyota aristo or altezza. They sell the toyota crown, corollas, land cruiser, etc. So basically, i think toyota can pull off having the lexus brand over there because most people havent seen any lexus cars badged as a toyota. Also, mercedes and bmw seem to be selling well over there since its selling debut.