Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst experience ever, Acton Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 09:17 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
For a Scion Xb with those options, what's the going approximate MSRP? Is it closer to $16K or $22K? Was the deal way too good to be true [a real mistake] or do you truly believe they were interested in pulling a bait and switch on the out-of-towner [potentially after you had flown in to pick up the car]? I have dealt with enough new and used car sales people/managers to conclude that most are sleaze with a complete lack of ethics. But having had some dealing in sales several decades back, I also know [honest] mistakes are sometimes made. And customers expecting the store/dealership or the sales shmuck to absorb the loss are just not being realistic - especially one that big.

If it was an honest mistake on the dealers/salespersons part you are making way too much of this episode. From your post, it's hard to see where you were treated poorly. You may not have liked what they had to say after they had changed to price, but it seems you equate thier not budging on the new price with poor customer service. And while you wasted a fair amount of time, since you did not actually pay for tickets and fly out there are no damages. What if's don't count for much.

If you truly feel that they dealt with you in a dishonest and unbusiness like fashion, go ahead and stir things up. But don't give yourself a heart attack in the process. It's just a car.
I am not sure what they thought or what they were upto. What I do know is one of the reps of the company gave me a price on the car. If she did not know, wasn't sure, or whatever she should have checked, double checked or whatever before she opened her mouth. I used to own a liquor store and it is my fault if I misprice a $100 bottle of wine for $10 and a customer catches it. This really did happen to me. I ended up selling the one bottle to them because it was my mistake, my advertisement and that is just good business. I had to eat my mistake. I consider their mistake, false advertisement. Yea its only a car but I'm beyond the fact of the car, I am more pissed off about the principle of the matter now. I will find another car elsewhere and spend my money elsewhere, not with these guys but the principle of these sleaze bags is what gets me beyond irritated.
Old 05-28-04, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Dimiscus
I got a phone call this evening (pretty quick) from the customer service guy from this dealership. He was required by Scion customer service to follow up with me. He didn't say much. I gave him a piece of my mind too but it didn't matter. They decided that they still were not going to sell the car for the price they asked. I wanted to kick this guy in his head. He told me that he fortunately has never been in this situation and wouldn't know what to do if he was but he thought I was taking it too far. Whatever. I am pi$$ed off to the max but there is nothing I can do about it now. Bottom line, a word of advise from experience: DON'T BUY A CAR FROM ACTON TOYOTA IN ACTON MASSACHUSETTS. You'll somehow get screwed over.

So back to the drawing board of looking for a lunchbox for my wife.
this guy isn't too much smarter than the previous one.....
Old 05-28-04, 06:01 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hey sorry for your bad fortunes with this company in my home state. You are correct in saying that they made the mistake and any morally correct company would simply sell it to you for the price they staed. The bad news is that not everyone has morals or thinks logically and they basically told you to pound sand. In no way is it right but they probaly think that if you are out of state then it won't effect them but prove them wrong and pursue it.
As for the Scion, contact Dgot20's bro, he can get you one I beleive. I was interested in one and D said that he may be able to get me one. His screen name is stefwilli. There may be a wait but he may be able to get you one.
Old 05-28-04, 09:17 AM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Default Re: Worst experience ever, Acton Toyota

Originally posted by Dimiscus
The list price was $16995, the ad price was $16795 and since I was from out of town, she said that my price would be $15995. Upon further negotiation, they offered me $15700. I had one final counteroffer.
Ok I'm not lawyer or anything but from what I gather they offered 15700 and THEN you made a counter offer which means the price was still in negotiation.. which also means that as far as your contacts with them, there was no set price.

Now if they crewed up on the listing and they don't have a disclaimer stating that the prices might not be quoted correctly, then the cheapest I think you can have the vehicle is at the listed price. Now as far as the manager is concerned he is an IDIOT for stating it would have been your problem because you would have had a nice day in court where it would be their prob.

I think you're so mad at the customer service aspect (undestandable) that you want to stick it to them about the price (understandable) But if I understand it correctly (I might be wrong) the dealership and you didn't have a "contract" on that price because you made a counter off which they replied "sorry we made a mistake. Good luck and I hope you do stick it to that IDIOT because the diff will come out of his cheque.

good luck
Old 05-30-04, 09:33 AM
LexFather

Dimiscus
Ask for Matt Lamaro, tell him Abe sent ya. This should help your situation some. As stated, probably nothing we can do on the price but this will help your customer service situation and maybe get u a better deal on the XB.

Old 05-31-04, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Lightbulb Go get a new one

From what I understand, Scion has no-dicker, no-hassle pricing on all new cars, just like Saturn. Rather than go through the bulls--- you did with that service manager, just go to another dealer and get a brand-new xB at list with no mark-ups, no hassles, and no bulls---. And you won't have a car with somebody else's 5000 miles on it (and maybe problems), either.