Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst experience ever, Acton Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 01:47 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Worst experience ever, Acton Toyota

I am still in utter shock. I was treated beyond like crap. Let me vent. I have been in contact with Acton Toyota in Acton Massachusetts trying to purchase a Scion Xb that they had for sale. This last Tuesday, I contacted them about an Xb that they had listed on Autotrader. I asked for details and the sales rep said that they would contact me the next day. The rep contacted me the next day with the details. The car had 5k, 18" TRD wheels, 6 disc, blah, blah blah. In her e-mail with the information was the prices. The list price was $16995, the ad price was $16795 and since I was from out of town, she said that my price would be $15995. Upon further negotiation, they offered me $15700. I had one final counteroffer. They called me back in an hour and said that oopps, we made a mistake, the price of the car was now $22000. I was about an hour away from buying a car and they come back and say they made a mistake. I spoke with the sales manager and asked him what would have happened if they would have agreed on the price and I would have flown out there and picked up the vehicle and then they would have found that they screwed up? He said that it would have been my problem. I was shoked, dumbfounded, pissed and everything else Talk about false advertisement. I would have not only been out the car but also about $600 or $700 the cost of my plane ticket. I ended up reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and I called the corporate office of Toyota and Scion to place complaints. I will continue to expose this situation with this dealership. Talk about incensitive and the worst customer service I have ever heard of or dealt with.

Well I guess that I am going back to the drawing board of looking for an Xb auto.
Old 05-27-04, 02:54 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

keep us informed and congratulations on ur self control.
Old 05-27-04, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

keep us informed, that's pretty messed up...

i specially hate that ahole manager saying that's your problem
Old 05-27-04, 05:54 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

I got a phone call this evening (pretty quick) from the customer service guy from this dealership. He was required by Scion customer service to follow up with me. He didn't say much. I gave him a piece of my mind too but it didn't matter. They decided that they still were not going to sell the car for the price they asked. I wanted to kick this guy in his head. He told me that he fortunately has never been in this situation and wouldn't know what to do if he was but he thought I was taking it too far. Whatever. I am pi$$ed off to the max but there is nothing I can do about it now. Bottom line, a word of advise from experience: DON'T BUY A CAR FROM ACTON TOYOTA IN ACTON MASSACHUSETTS. You'll somehow get screwed over.

So back to the drawing board of looking for a lunchbox for my wife.
Old 05-27-04, 06:05 PM
LexFather

I hate reading this kind of stuff. Let me do some snooping for u....

Last edited by LexFather; 05-27-04 at 06:07 PM.

Old 05-27-04, 06:07 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Let me see if I can help.
Hey cool, that would be great. Let me know I like the CL brotherhood. Great Peeps.
Old 05-27-04, 06:13 PM
LexFather

On the price, I don't think we can do anything at all. Though they made the same mistake misquoting the price multiple times. It is unfortunate but SCION is trying to attract younger customers, not keeping them happy. Lexus may have agreed to the mistake to keep their customer satisfaction up. SCION is not exactly doing well in this department initially.

The treatment of you however is pathetic.

Old 05-27-04, 06:16 PM
LexFather

NAmes of who u spoke to please.

Old 05-27-04, 06:24 PM
LexFather

JTLKT324940141919

Is that the VIN?

Nevermind, just found their website
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/id...aler_id=603919

No price listed there.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-27-04 at 06:26 PM.

Old 05-27-04, 06:31 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

You drive a GS430. Why may I ask are you having your wife drive a cheesy scion xBOX around? Why not a celica, a corrola S, or dare I say a 99 or 00 SC300?
Old 05-27-04, 06:45 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Heres a copy of the e-mail with all the information that the sales person sent me. Sick, that is the one. Below is the e-mail with the pricing quoted at the bottom.

"Thank you for your interest in a Toyota Product and with the service I have provided you.

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
1.5L 4Cyl DOHC 16 Valve w/VVT-i EFI Eng
4 Speed ECT-i Automatic Transmission
Power Assisted Rack & Pinion Steering
Pwr Vented Front Disc & Rr Drum Brakes
Sport Tuned Ind Macpherson Strut Front
and Torsion Beam Rear Suspension
P185/60R15 All-Season Tires
SAFETY
4-Wheel ABS w/Electronic Brake Dist.
& Vehicle Stability Control w/Traction
Control & Brake Assist
Dr & Fr Pass Dual Stage Airbags (SRS)
3 Point Dr & Pass Seat Belts w/
Force Limiters and Pretensioners
Three Across 3-Pt. ALR/ELR Rear Pass
Seat Belts and Head Restaints
Side-Impact Door Beams
First Aid Kit
EXTERIOR
Full Wheel Covers*
Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlamps
Color-Keyed Bumpers and Door Handles
Dual Color-Keyed Power Outside Mirrors
Intermittent Front Windshield Wipers
Rear Window Wiper/Glass Mounted Antenna
Fender Mounted Turn Indicators
COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
Sport Fabric Front Bucket Seats w/
Adj Headrests,60/40 Fold Down RR Seats
Pioneer 160 Watt AM/FM/CD w/6 Speakers
and Scion Sound Processing(SSP)*
Center Mounted Speedometer & Tachometer
w/Trip Meter & Digital Clock
Air Conditioning/Tilt Steering Wheel
Pwr Door Locks & Windows w/Dr Auto Down
Remote Keyless Entry/Rear Privacy Glass
Cargo Area Under-Floor Storage
Rear Window Defogger
Amber Instrument Panel Illumination
Cupholders - Two Front and One Rear

How's that for standard equipment?

Also:
AM/FM/6-Disc CD by Pioneer Carpeted Floor Mats/Cargo Mat (still wrapped in plastic Fog Lights LED Light Enhancements by ACSCO - Red Rear Bumper Protector Rear Spoiler & SCION Security Alloy Wheel 18" low profile TRD

Listed for $16,995 - add price is $16,795
You special out of state internet price is $15,995

Talk to you soon,

Thanks
Barbara.......
Internet Sales - Actontoyota.com
133 Great Road Acton Ma 01720
978-263-1500x 345""

Last edited by Dimiscus; 05-27-04 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 06:54 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC400-V8
You drive a GS430. Why may I ask are you having your wife drive a cheesy scion xBOX around? Why not a celica, a corrola S, or dare I say a 99 or 00 SC300?
It is her decision as to what she wants to buy although after taking one for a spin I really enjoyed driving it myself, plus with the price of gas these days, this car does not hurt financially quite as much. It is up to her though. It's what she wants
Old 05-27-04, 08:22 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't heard any good things from Acton Toyota... I haven't heard anything as a matter of fact.

I could check in with Toyota of Watertown (former IT director there) and I could see about getting you some sort of deal -- they're rather serious about Scion. Watertown is actually planning on a scion building when Lexus moves down the street to its new facility.

I still know a few people there. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Check out Boch or Herb Chambers for Scions around here -- those are the two big ones that go head to head on sales in the MA & New England Region.

John

Edit: PS: I live about 20 minutes away from acton toyota

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 05-27-04 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 08:38 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I haven't heard any good things from Acton Toyota... I haven't heard anything as a matter of fact.

I could check in with Toyota of Watertown (former IT director there) and I could see about getting you some sort of deal -- they're rather serious about Scion. Watertown is actually planning on a scion building when Lexus moves down the street to its new facility.

I still know a few people there. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Check out Boch or Herb Chambers for Scions around here -- those are the two big ones that go head to head on sales in the MA & New England Region.

John

Edit: PS: I live about 20 minutes away from acton toyota
I PM'd ya. I am sorry that you live so close to those Bas****s. is right.
Old 05-27-04, 09:06 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a Scion Xb with those options, what's the going approximate MSRP? Is it closer to $16K or $22K? Was the deal way too good to be true [a real mistake] or do you truly believe they were interested in pulling a bait and switch on the out-of-towner [potentially after you had flown in to pick up the car]? I have dealt with enough new and used car sales people/managers to conclude that most are sleaze with a complete lack of ethics. But having had some dealing in sales several decades back, I also know [honest] mistakes are sometimes made. And customers expecting the store/dealership or the sales shmuck to absorb the loss are just not being realistic - especially one that big.

If it was an honest mistake on the dealers/salespersons part you are making way too much of this episode. From your post, it's hard to see where you were treated poorly. You may not have liked what they had to say after they had changed to price, but it seems you equate thier not budging on the new price with poor customer service. And while you wasted a fair amount of time, since you did not actually pay for tickets and fly out there are no damages. What if's don't count for much.

If you truly feel that they dealt with you in a dishonest and unbusiness like fashion, go ahead and stir things up. But don't give yourself a heart attack in the process. It's just a car.

Quick Reply: Worst experience ever, Acton Toyota