Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Flawed Gems - Consumer Reports Rates 4 European Luxury Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 10:01 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flawed Gems - Consumer Reports Rates 4 European Luxury Cars

Luxury sedans: For these high-priced European models,
the devil is in the details.
Mercedes-Benz E320

BMW 530i

Jaguar S-Type

Volvo S80

All four sedans in this report performed well enough in our tests to earn an excellent or very good overall rating. Generally, they got high marks for acceleration, handling, braking, ride comfort, quietness, and seat comfort, which is what you should expect when spending $45,000 to $53,000 on a car. However, each has at least one notable weakness that you shouldn't expect in this price range.

The Mercedes-Benz E320, which was redesigned for 2003, had the highest overall score in this group and is ranked among the top luxury sedans we've tested (see the Ratings). It delivers a supremely comfortable ride, agile handling, quick acceleration, and a quiet cabin. According to our 2003 subscriber survey, however, the first-year reliability of the redesigned E-Class has been much worse than average. It was one of nine models among sedans that received the lowest rating in predicted reliability. This prevents us from recommending the E320.

Scoring very close to the Mercedes was the BMW 530i, which received a major redesign for 2004. The previous generation was very impressive and was our best car tested in the 2002 and 2003 April reports. The new 530i improves on the last version in some areas. With a new six-speed automatic transmission, the car provides about the same acceleration from a standing stop, but slightly better fuel economy in city driving. It also provides more rear-seat room and trunk space.

But the 530i's biggest drawback is its needlessly complicated multifunction iDrive control system. This consolidates audio, communications, climate, and navigation (if equipped) functions into a single multicontrol **** and onscreen menu system. Although the system is easier to use than a similar one in the 745Li we tested for the November 2003 report, it takes considerable time to learn how to use the system well. Even after spending a lot of time with the car, we found the iDrive to be tedious and distracting. Overall, the previous-generation 530i scored better than this one, despite its smaller interior space.

We don't have reliability information yet on this new 530i version. Previous models had average or better reliability. The larger, costlier BMW 7 Series, which was redesigned in 2002, doesn't have a good record. It was the most troublesome model in our reliability survey.

For nearly the same price as the six-cylinder E320 or 530i, the Jaguar S-Type is available with a 294-hp, 4.2-liter V8, which provided the quickest acceleration in this group. While rated very good overall, we found that the Jag is not as agile, comfortable, spacious, or quiet as the Mercedes-Benz and BMW. But, like the E320, the S-Type has had much-worse-than-average reliability, which prevents us from recommending it.

The Volvo S80 has been around since 1998 and does not compete well with more recently introduced competitors. The line received a few tweaks for 2004, among them a five-cylinder, all-wheel-drive version. We chose the top-of-the-line front-wheel-drive T6, with a turbocharged 268-hp, 2.9-liter inline six-cylinder engine.

At $46,810, it was the least expensive car in the group. The T6 also performed well enough in our tests to rate very good; it accelerates effortlessly, handles securely, and has a roomy, comfortable cabin. But the S80's main drawback is a stiff ride that's notably below par for a luxury car. The S80 had average reliability in our last survey, which allows us to recommend it. But among the luxury cars we've recently tested, it ranks near the bottom.

European REliability: What's going wrong?

Relatively few newer European models fared well in our 2003 reliability survey. Many of the problems were in the cars' electrical systems and power equipment and accessories, as was the case with the Mercedes-Benz E320.

A common explanation is that these expensive vehicles are very complex, sometimes showcasing the newest and, therefore, unproven technologies. With features such as adaptive cruise control and integrated multifunction controls, these vehicles are loaded with gadgets that can cause problems. Rival Japanese luxury cars from Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus, however, are just as feature-laden, and in general they are exceptionally trouble-free.

What is the underlying problem? Automotive analyst Mike Wall of the consultancy CSM Worldwide told us: “European managements have taken quality for granted. They face cost pressures and don't always appreciate what happens when you whittle costs out. The Japanese--Honda and Toyota--tend to stay loyal to proven technologies and they don't jump as quickly at the Next Big Thing.”

Our BMW 530i had to go back to the dealership because the iDrive system stopped working in cold weather and a warning message said that the passenger air bag was not operational. We had to wait several days for parts. Those are the type of problems that do not augur well for a new $53,000 car.
Old 05-28-04, 01:10 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. Just another article confirming the fact of what we already know.