Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Our new design was wrong." - BMW Boss's Shock Admission

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 08:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default bimmers

Originally posted by SexySC
The new 7 series did grow on me a little, but I never really dislikeit too much when I first saw it.

The new 5 & especially the Z4 actually look worse the more I see them.

The 6 series is the only bimmer I have some interest in right now, & hopefully the next 3 won't disappoint.
What she said.
Old 05-31-04, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking Two Cents?

Originally posted by 4double0
I like the new 7series, it took a while to grow on me, but after seeing a few hooked up I'm considering buying one. Just my 2cents
Your 2 cents (literally) overestimates the new 7 series' value (by a considerable amount).
Old 05-31-04, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs down STILL Duped...try again, Panke.

Although Helmut Panke has taken a big step forward by admitting the obvious......that the new 7-series was a disaster.......he STILL is not correct in his comments that BMW was " ahead " of the crowd. The I-Drive was an enormous step BACKWARDS, not forwards. The reasoning was to try and "clean up" a dash that really didn't NEED cleaning up.....and they came up with a system that forced the driver to take his/her eyes off the road way too long trying to coax the computerized joystick into doing really the simplest little things like bumping the fan speed up or down or changing radio stations.
Old 05-31-04, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: bimmers

Originally posted by reggiek
What she said.
What HE said.
Old 05-31-04, 11:21 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
weird, somehow i believe i read this same article here on CL early this week, but now the thread is gone?
You're right.

7 Series/LS 430 Discussion

What I didn't type in was the article in the same issue on the decline of German quality (particularly Mercedes) titled "Tarnished Star". There was one great paragraph that I will see if I can type in later. We all know German automaker reliability hasn't been great for years. Makes you wonder how bad it has gotten lately for all the recent press. I see Mercedes has removed over 600 electronic functions from current vehicles and claim that they are going to remove even more to enhance reliability. Of course, that is not an admission that they did anything wrong. Just a case of having customers too dimwitted to appreciate the technology while being towed to the dealer.

Last edited by RON430; 05-31-04 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-04, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RON430
You're right.

7 Series/LS 430 Discussion

What I didn't type in was the article in the same issue on the decline of German quality (particularly Mercedes) titled "Tarnished Star". There was one great paragraph that I will see if I can type in later. We all know German automaker reliability hasn't been great for years. Makes you wonder how bad it has gotten lately for all the recent press. I see Mercedes has removed over 600 electronic functions from current vehicles and claim that they are going to remove even more to enhance reliability. Of course, that is not an admission that they did anything wrong. Just a case of having customers too dimwitted to appreciate the technology while being towed to the dealer.
The electronic Brake-By-Wire systems in recent M-B-products have been especially unreliable....that is one reason why they also have a conventional hydraulic emergency back-up master cylinder for when the electronics crap out.