Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-04, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

funny enough, that's actually one car i don't really feel much for daily drive. yes i am sure that's a great car for the track, but for daily drive the beauty about the m3 is that it's fast yet it's comfortable and luxury enough to be driven daily. the csl is so track oriented it's not for daily drive.

just like i'd love to have the 911 turbo but i would have to think about the gt3
Old 05-31-04, 03:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
funny enough, that's actually one car i don't really feel much for daily drive. yes i am sure that's a great car for the track, but for daily drive the beauty about the m3 is that it's fast yet it's comfortable and luxury enough to be driven daily. the csl is so track oriented it's not for daily drive.

just like i'd love to have the 911 turbo but i would have to think about the gt3
I wouldn't mind having the CSL as a daily. The drive isn't that bad.
The only thing you have to watch out for is rain if you have the no cost option semi race tires.
Old 06-01-04, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Richie
I wouldn't mind having the CSL as a daily. The drive isn't that bad.
The only thing you have to watch out for is rain if you have the no cost option semi race tires.
haha with the original racing slick, even if the road is a little bit slick and you are spinning already
Old 06-01-04, 01:59 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Auto testing M3 CSL. It's in German.

http://www.rsportscars.ch/video/bmw/bmw_m3_csl.mov
Old 06-01-04, 10:36 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

haha with the original racing slick, even if the road is a little bit slick and you are spinning already
Have you driven it allready?
Old 06-01-04, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Have you driven it allready?
nop, but i have read a lot of reviews on that and they all warn if you wanna drive the car daily, re-think on the racing slick. also when the csl first came out, i remember reading road fly and couple of guys (those super well off people) wrecked their csl so fast coz' of the racing slick. they just don't have no grip at all on slightly wet road

in fact that's why bmw decided to put in an option for non racing slick tires.

and that's why initially the track time for the csl was soooo tremendous, even win over (or very head to head?) with the gt3. but once the test was done using the non racing slick tires, the performance of the csl degraded quite a bit
Old 06-01-04, 02:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and that's why initially the track time for the csl was soooo tremendous, even win over (or very head to head?) with the gt3.

because they cost pretty much the same??
Old 06-01-04, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DC52E55
because they cost pretty much the same??
no, the track time
Old 06-01-04, 10:30 PM
LexFather

nop, but i have read a lot of reviews on that and they all warn if you wanna drive the car daily, re-think on the racing slick. also when the csl first came out, i remember reading road fly and couple of guys (those super well off people) wrecked their csl so fast coz' of the racing slick. they just don't have no grip at all on slightly wet road

in fact that's why bmw decided to put in an option for non racing slick tires.

and that's why initially the track time for the csl was soooo tremendous, even win over (or very head to head?) with the gt3. but once the test was done using the non racing slick tires, the performance of the csl degraded quite a bit
Rom is right. The M3 CSL has not gotten rave reviews. Since this car has no A/C, rides harsher with minimal performance benefit, it defeats the purpose of the M3, to have a livable sports car. Or just buy a sports car, a 911 for instance.

It just looks so . I love it.

Old 06-02-04, 07:08 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

The CSl is marketed differently here in Europe.
It is marketed as a track car you can drive on the road, mostly for the track day enthausiast.
They do not really care about the "not so comfy" ride. They care mostly about track times and that it where the CSL shines.
The biggest gaines for the CSL are the lower centre of gravity and lower overall weight. It has slightly more power then the stock M3 bit it does have a faster acting SMG box. The Road Legal racing tires also help alot.
It runs rings around the stock M3. Around the nurnburgring it is allmost 30 secs faster.
If you have a racing licence you can get the limiter removed also but I think you have to sign something to free BMW of any responsebillities when you go for the racing tire. It will give you awesome grip on anything but wet roads.
Old 06-02-04, 10:22 AM
LexFather

The CSl is marketed differently here in Europe.
It is marketed as a track car you can drive on the road, mostly for the track day enthausiast.
They do not really care about the "not so comfy" ride. They care mostly about track times and that it where the CSL shines.
The biggest gaines for the CSL are the lower centre of gravity and lower overall weight. It has slightly more power then the stock M3 bit it does have a faster acting SMG box. The Road Legal racing tires also help alot.
It runs rings around the stock M3. Around the nurnburgring it is allmost 30 secs faster.
If you have a racing licence you can get the limiter removed also but I think you have to sign something to free BMW of any responsebillities when you go for the racing tire. It will give you awesome grip on anything but wet roads.
Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks dude.

Old 06-02-04, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Rom is right. The M3 CSL has not gotten rave reviews. Since this car has no A/C, rides harsher with minimal performance benefit, it defeats the purpose of the M3, to have a livable sports car. Or just buy a sports car, a 911 for instance.

It just looks so . I love it.
that's why all those super well off dudes in europe, they have a normal m3 for daily drive, and one csl for track. gosh.... do they have money...
Old 06-02-04, 03:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks dude.
No problem Mike.
Old 06-02-04, 03:11 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

that's why all those super well off dudes in europe, they have a normal m3 for daily drive, and one csl for track. gosh.... do they have money...
Hahahahaha, life doesn't get any better when you have a pure trackcar for trackdays.
Old 06-02-04, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hahahahaha, life doesn't get any better when you have a pure trackcar for trackdays.
true.... and i have seen those people getting new m3 ONLY coz' "i am tired of the color i have now" @_@

Quick Reply: Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL