Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Default Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL

I've read and bought every magazine article I could on this car. It is perfection to me. It all begins with it's looks and goes from there.
2004 BMW M3 CSL.
http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cf...ID=2030610.001

BMW M3 CSL Gets Ready for the UK
From lightweight concept to pure reality - the new BMW M3 CSL

A lighter, more powerful version of the legendary BMW M3 is ready to set pulses racing in the UK. First unveiled at this year’s Geneva Motor Show in March, the new BMW M3 CSL is even quicker and more responsive than its thoroughbred cousin, promising driving purists the most authentic motor sport experience in a production car.

A limited run will be built in Munich between June and December this year. Five hundred are destined for the UK and dealer order books are already full. First deliveries of the car, which is priced at £58,455 on-the-road, will begin in August.

In creating the BMW M3 CSL, which stands for Coupe, Sport and Lightweight, engineers at BMW’s M division succeeded in stripping 110 kg from the M3. The result is a car that benefits from an impressive power to weight ratio of just 3.85 kg/bhp and accelerates from 0-62 in 4.9 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph, but can be de-limited for holders of a racing licence.

But the BMW M3 CSL, which is based on a concept first shown at Frankfurt in 2001, is not just about lighter materials. Designers were tasked with creating a car true to BMW’s motor sport heritage, right down to the last component. And by engineering a range of power and handling improvements, BMW has created a vehicle capable of breaking the eight minute lap time at the famous Nurburgring, North Circuit in Germany.

So how did BMW create the M3 CSL?

Intelligent lightweight technology

For optimum weight reduction, BMW M engineers turned to ‘intelligent’ lightweight technology. This meant matching the most appropriate materials to the component or assembly requirements and resulted in widespread use of carbon fibre reinforced plastics, lightweight aluminium and glass fibre plastics. Much of this technology has been transferred from Formula 1.

Award winning engine – made better

BMW’s M3 engine has just received its third accolade in a row at the 2003 International Engine of the Year Awards. Now an enhanced version of this 3.2-litre straight-six power house has been developed for the M3 CSL. Power output has been boosted from 343 to 360 bhp at 7,900 rpm, while torque is up from 365 to 370 Nm at 4,900 rpm.

The enhancements include:

Thinner exhaust walls
Larger air intake opening and carbon fibre air collector
Camshafts with longer valve opening periods
Air intake and volume calculated according to F1 principles
Optimised exhaust valves
Modified exhaust emission manifold
M3 CSL gearbox

BMW M’s most sporting and dynamic transmission features on the BMW M3 CSL - the paddle shift SMG gearbox with Drivelogic and new software. Based on F1 technology, it allows ultra-fast shifting through all six gears, using the gear stick or paddles, with changes taking just 0.08 seconds. Drivers can choose between sequential and automated mode.

Handling dynamics

Precision handling comes courtesy of a wider front track and modified suspension geometry, including bespoke springs and dampers. A more direct ratio for the rack-and-pinion steering (14.5:1, compared to 15.4:1 for the M3) offers greater steering response in all conditions; while substantially modified brakes slow the M3 CSL to a standstill from 62 mph in less than 34 metres – just seven and a half car lengths.

Driver aids

M Track Mode is a unique function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), activated via a steering wheel mounted switch. This allows skilled track drivers to push the car to the absolute limit of transverse and longitudinal acceleration, with DSC operating only where these limits are exceeded.

The optional 19” wheels and tyres for the BMW M3 are fitted as standard but Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres, with asymmetric treads developed especially for the BMW M3 CSL mounted on unique alloy wheels, can be specified as a no cost option. The tyres, which are suitable for both road and track, measure 235/35 ZR 19 at the front and 265/30 ZR 19 at the rear. Complementing the performance of the car, they offer outstanding lateral grip, up to 1.6g, improving the BMW M3 CSL’s already remarkable handling qualities and cornering capability.

To ensure M3 CSL owners are comfortable with the handling of these specially designed optional tyres, dealers will explain the need for caution while they warm up and during very poor weather. Buyers will also be required to confirm that they are aware of and understand the unique performance characteristics.

Free driver training for all BMW M3 CSL customers is also included in the price. Worth £850, this offers drivers a day at the Pro-Drive Live circuit, driving under the guidance of experienced racing drivers, learning how to get the most out of the car.

Interior

In the cockpit, the BMW M3 CSL follows the principles of a genuine sports car. Options are kept to a minimum, with a focus on the functional, like contoured, glass fibre bucket seats, offering optimum side support in fast bends.

Centre console and door trims are made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic and the M Sports steering wheel is clothed in Alcantara. To make best use of the reduced weight potential many features of modern cars normally considered as essential, such as air conditioning and a radio, are excluded from standard specification, but can be specified as no cost options if the customer wants them.

Standard equipment – interior

Cloth Laser/Amaretta ‘Reflex Pur’ Anthracite
Anthracite Headlining
Individual high gloss satin chrome
Titanium Shadow Interior Trim
Chrome gear lever ****
4 Seats
M Steering Wheel with switch for M Track Mode
Standard equipment – exterior
M3 CSL specific suspension settings
M Mobility System to inflate tyres
Tailgate with low loading sill and integrated rear spoiler
Front apron without fog lights, with extra air intake
Model designation M3 CSL
Choice of Black Sapphire or Silver Grey metallic paint
19” double spoke alloy wheels style 67M
No cost options

19” M light alloy wheels ‘M3 CSL’ with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres
Auto air conditioning
BMW Business radio / cassette
No model inscription
Graduated tint front windscreen
Smoker package
Cost options
Climate comfort front windscreen £190.00
Floor mats £75.00
Park Distance Control (PDC) £340.00
Rain sensor £160.00
Xenon headlights with headlamp wash £770.00
Single CD £100.00
Mini disc player £295.00
Attached Thumbnails Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL-2030610.001.1m.jpg  

Old 05-28-04, 05:35 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the next E90 //M will be as beautiful as this E46.
Old 05-28-04, 05:54 PM
rbini100
Driver

up to 1.6g lateral grip
Old 05-28-04, 06:33 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man, I've been feeling the CSL since it was first introduced a few years back. We never get anything good over here.

Old 05-28-04, 06:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

beautifullllllllllllllllllllll
Old 05-28-04, 08:08 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

you should see tiff rave about it!
Old 05-28-04, 08:11 PM
4double0
Driver

WoW! very very nice
Old 05-28-04, 08:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 05-29-04, 10:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

It's a sweet car, with an awesome engine sound.
1Sick, if you want one you can always buy one here and import it to the US. (if you can get it legalised)
Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-29-04, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by Richie
It's a sweet car, with an awesome engine sound.
1Sick, if you want one you can always buy one here and import it to the US. (if you can get it legalised)
Let me know if I can help.
Really? I heard you couldn't bring it here. I know all 100 in the U.K sold out in like a week. Crappo...

Old 05-30-04, 10:01 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Really? I heard you couldn't bring it here. I know all 100 in the U.K sold out in like a week. Crappo...
I don't know about the legal issues.
maybe if you buy a couple and do some crash tests you can get them legalised, LOL
Old 05-30-04, 12:42 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie
I don't know about the legal issues.
maybe if you buy a couple and do some crash tests you can get them legalised, LOL
By the time you get it prepped to US Safety Specs, it'll weigh more than a normal M3

Last edited by Davtown; 05-30-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 01:34 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Attila
By the time you get it prepped to US Safety Specs, it'll weigh more than a normal M3
LOL, well, at least you have all the nice shiney carbon to still show off then.
Old 05-30-04, 03:48 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

That is one beautiful car.
Old 05-30-04, 07:15 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty damn sweet!

Quick Reply: Car I am secretly in love with (and the USA can't have)BMW M3 CSL