Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which car do you think is a great sleeper car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 11:25 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford Crown Victoria with a Cobra motor, or a debadged Impala SS/Caprice with LT1 motor swap
Any Cressida or MKII/MKIII Supra with a 7M-GTE
VW Jetta or Golf with a VR6+turbo
Turbo Dodge minivan

i was talking to some Acura nut, we agreed that a Accord with a H22 can be a good sleeper.
Old 05-30-04, 05:44 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody see that link about the "flea" . . . it's the old old RWD corolla with a 1UZ-FE swap. Magneto, what are you looking for exactly? Flat out acceleration? Handling? I can that just doesn't look intimidating(meaning it can be old, beat up, ugly, or a combination)? Do you want something new?
???
Old 05-30-04, 09:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
Anybody see that link about the "flea" . . . it's the old old RWD corolla with a 1UZ-FE swap. Magneto, what are you looking for exactly? Flat out acceleration? Handling? I can that just doesn't look intimidating(meaning it can be old, beat up, ugly, or a combination)? Do you want something new?
???
The Flea would also be an awesome sleeper for sure.
Can't wait to see that car finished.
Old 05-30-04, 10:34 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

any diesel truck. i got owned the other day by a lifted 4x4 quad cab. it was no joke. black smoke barreled out of the exhaust pipe and his *** left me like no other. scared the crap outta me
Old 05-30-04, 04:16 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I had in mind,

A stock looking GMC Syclone or Typhoon with upgraded Turbo goodies

A Pre-Runner Ford Ranger with a Mustang Cobra Supercharged engine

An old 80's Mercedes Benz S class with a 502 big block under the hood(There is a guy with this set-up running around my town terrorizing the streets - I only know because of experience...lol)

A stroked Chevy Impala(95-96) with Caprice badging...lol or Vice Versa - A Caprice of the same year with the LS6 Vette Motor

Various older AWD DSM's including the rare Galant VR-4 of yore mentioned by Trueno

and of course, any 2JZ-GTE powered Lexus Vehicles
Old 05-30-04, 04:25 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

I would have to say an E55 without the AMG badges and body kit. Even though people expect an MB to be fast, they're not expecting 500hp. That's like a Dodge Viper in an MB shell.
Old 05-30-04, 04:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone knows that Evo is fast, and Syclones/Typhoons with mods can be fast.

I think a great sleeper car would be the new Legacy GT. Faster than 350Z in stock form. No one would suspect a Camry-class family sedan to hang with the sports cars.
Old 05-31-04, 09:43 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW. Those are some great sleeper cars that I never would have thought of myself. That Subaru Forester is pretty cool. Truthfully, when i read about it in one of those car mags, I couldnt believe it at all. I really thought that it was a mistake, but it is very true. E55, yeah thats a great one too, but I have mixed feeling about that one also. It can be a sleeper car if people dont know about it and think its jsut a regular MB, but I beleive that everyone knows most big MB's are pretty quick.The GS400 when it came out was crazy fast for its time. ( I loved those commercials for it) One of my friends actually thought that Rolls-Royces and Bentleys are the ultimate in sleeper cars. Everytime you see them(thats if you ever do), they are always travelling at rediculous slow speeds. Its a great car to just cruise around in, and take it real easy, but damn when you punch the gas, that thing moves. I remember this guy had a Phantom, and me in my Maxima tried catchin him, I got up beside him but as soon as I looked over to see who was driving, he gased it and was gone.

I was basically looking for a stock car and there acceleration times, which is basically why i picked the Volvo S60R and V70R. I kinda felt that ALMOST any car with significant mods can be incredibly fast.

But as far as handling, I think I would pick the up coming Toyota X-Runner. (Opinion based off of car mags and auto shows) Apparantly they say the truck turns in the same #'s as the 350Z, which i think is quite amazing for a pick-up. So if you ever think you can out run that truck through the curves, it might be right on your *** or even pass you by.

I'm starting to notice that car companies and magazines are looking at the 350Z as the new benchmark of sports cars. Every car company wants that 350Z car. I guess BMW is a thing of the past.
Old 05-31-04, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up Right On

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I'd say, 7 years ago, in late 1997/early 1998, the GS 400. Nothing came close to it's performace in a sedan. Plus it was a Lexus, and people equate lexus with slow and comfy.

Sleeper to everyone, stock?
Only enthusiests know about the STi and EVO. Most people think it's cheap, slow Japanase made stuff. Those are still sleepers.
NEON SRT-4. B/C it has Neon on the trunk and people think it's just kitted out.

I think the E55 might not be a total sleeper as it is a Benz, and some people just expect them to be fast.

My NOMINATION for sleeper, (drumroll please)
Suburu Forester Turbo. Looks like a wagon, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds stock. You would have no idea what blew bye you.

Yeah, I agree....the Forester Turbo. It does have a hood scoop, but not much else. It's not painted bright colors. AND it's also good for a LOT of other things besides drag-racing......it will carry a lot in the back cargo area, go through rain, snow, slippery roads, etc..... with its AWD, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to insure, and it is reliable enough to stay out of the shop most of the time with reasonable care.
Old 05-31-04, 12:21 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Turbo buick. GNs are cool but some people know about them, so how about a mid eighties T Type Buick, built, running in the tens. Now this is just for the straight line, but handling, braking, all around, I'm gonna have to say the Subaru Forester 2.5XT (and only about 25K).

James
Old 05-31-04, 10:56 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

From what ive been reading, the new Rolls Royce Phantom is a beast. Red an article on Lou Pearlmans Rolls Phantom saying that he caught up to and passed a new Lamborghini. Im pretty sure it was a Gallardo, because there is no way he would have caught the Murcielago. It was in the lastest issue of Celebrity Car.
Old 05-31-04, 11:14 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JLSC4
As car enthusiasts, we are probably all aware of the credentials of the MB E55 AMG.
To the general public however, how many realize that this simple looking E class
has 469 HP & 516 lb-ft of torque! Basically, the only exterior differrences between
the E55 and the regular E430/E500 is the wheels and badging and maybe simple
ground effects. To me this seems like the ultimate stock sleeper.

Could this family sedan perhaps take a C5 off the line?
LOL forget C5, this the E55 can take a Z06 on without breaking a sweat and it even poses a great challenge to the new Viper(however it comes up SLIGHTLY short). But yea it can easily kill a C5/Z06 Corvette. To me its the ultimate sleeper. The M5 and the upcoming M5 still look quite agressive but the E55 looks like just a regular ol benz.
Old 06-01-04, 01:14 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LeXuSrAcIn
LOL forget C5, this the E55 can take a Z06 on without breaking a sweat and it even poses a great challenge to the new Viper(however it comes up SLIGHTLY short). But yea it can easily kill a C5/Z06 Corvette. To me its the ultimate sleeper. The M5 and the upcoming M5 still look quite agressive but the E55 looks like just a regular ol benz.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-01-04, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs down Come on...get serious

Originally posted by Stage3
From what ive been reading, the new Rolls Royce Phantom is a beast. Red an article on Lou Pearlmans Rolls Phantom saying that he caught up to and passed a new Lamborghini. Im pretty sure it was a Gallardo, because there is no way he would have caught the Murcielago. It was in the lastest issue of Celebrity Car.
A Rolls-Royce, with its huge size, radiator, trim, and ultra-chrome flying lady hood ornament, is about as stealthy is Pamela Anderson Lee in the men's locker room.
Old 06-01-04, 07:54 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DC52E55
are you sure that was a guy with a bug??
No, I always confuse the older style round VW bugs with the Ferrari's, MB's and Lexus's that I see. I mean how do you tell the difference? Duh? (sorry, but I am only being a smart *** since it next to impossible to mistake a VW bug with anything else.) Not to mention the fact that I pulled over and talked to the guy. Which I think my initial post noted that I talked to him. If I misunderstood your remark, then disregard me being a smart ***.

And I also agree with putting the Cyclone in there too.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 06-01-04 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Which car do you think is a great sleeper car?