Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which car do you think is a great sleeper car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 06:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Which car do you think is a great sleeper car?

Have you ever pulled up to a red light, and this idiot in this crap car next to you starts revving his engine at you. You look over and the first thing that you think of is, "Is this guy serious" or "Look at this M***** ***********" etc. Then the light turns green and BAM, that dude that you thought you would have no problem showing the tail pipes to just riped you apart. This probably has happened to a few of us here. Now, out of pure curiosity, I just wanted to know which car people think is the greatest sleeper car. Some say VW GTI/jetta 1.8T cause of easy mod, Maxima cause of torque, or even the SRT-4 cause they didnt think Dodge had it in them, etc.

Well me personally pick the Volvo S60R, and V70R. After driving both for an extensive period of time since they came out last summer I think it was an easy choice for me. 300hp, 295lb-tq, AWD, 6-speed, and the ability to hang with a 350Z. Also because its a Volvo, the stereotypical soccer mom cars that you always see cruising along in the right lane. Not only that, it doesnt look that much different from a regular S60 except for the 17in and optional 18in and slightly different bumper.

I would like some opinions on this topic. Also would this topic be better as a poll?
Old 05-28-04, 07:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you say stock car, i think lancer evo rs would be a pure sleeper since it doent have any flash wing or anything . loooks like just regular sedan

if you say modd, i read one article about huyndai elentra with 4G63 on it. i think that car would make pretty good sleeper
Old 05-28-04, 07:21 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

sleeper car, ummmm... lexus es300! i'd remind a honda prelude on the highway what torque is at 60-90mph wot. i dont even think volvo is considered a sleeper nowadays. any car enthusiast who's read motor trend within the last ten years knows what's up with those turbo'd in-line 5s. i find suv's to be very elusive sleepers. you'd be surprised how quick a bmw x5 4.4. is!

Last edited by flipspeed; 05-28-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-04, 07:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

As car enthusiasts, we are probably all aware of the credentials of the MB E55 AMG.
To the general public however, how many realize that this simple looking E class
has 469 HP & 516 lb-ft of torque! Basically, the only exterior differrences between
the E55 and the regular E430/E500 is the wheels and badging and maybe simple
ground effects. To me this seems like the ultimate stock sleeper.

Could this family sedan perhaps take a C5 off the line?
Old 05-28-04, 07:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Would have to be an old Mercury Capri late 70's that had a built 5.0 stuffed into it. All equipped with door dings, primer spots, stock looking exhaust and steel wheels less hub caps. Ran low 11's on 175/14's.

For a basically stock car, debadge an M3 or E55 and maybe put some lower trim pieces on...
Old 05-28-04, 08:56 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say galant vr4, awd turbo
Old 05-28-04, 09:13 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RA40
For a basically stock car, debadge an M3 or E55 and maybe put some lower trim pieces on...
HAHAHAHAHA Hilarious! Or you could buy a Ferrari and put Honda Civic badges, "Powered by Honda," and "VTEC" stickers on it. Call it a highly modified Civic! Everything modified except the badges. But seriously, we are lucky in this day and age. We have a lot of great cars out, many of which are sleepers. True, the 60's and 70's might have produced higher quantities of fast cars, but many of these new cars can match their performance, not to mention out handle, out brake, have better mileage and remarkably better safety features than those older cars. And although prices have gone up, many of these cars still have low prices, in relative terms to the average car. I'm not saying these newer cars are better, because those old big blocks were MEAN and easy to work on, but it's just the market changing.

You know, to this date, the ultimate sleeper that has given me a really bad scare, was a Ford Van. Yeah, van. I'm not sure if it was a Ford or Chevy Astro(GMC?). Although it still was not faster, it has a V10 engine. That badge stuck out in my vision as I slowly passed it. You'd never see that thing coming! You can see an SVT Lightning or a Ram SRT-10 coming from a mile away, but you'd never expect those engines being unleashed in a van! Unloaded, those things will scare you.
Old 05-28-04, 10:45 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

A manual Toyota pickup truck vs. my long gone '97 Prelude SH (damn car had no ***** at all )
Old 05-29-04, 12:29 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

The best sleeper cars are those that are quiet and look like crap.

I had a guy one time in a VW bug, beat up with primer take on my SC'd F-Body (Camaro/Firebird platform) and gave me a run for my money. He was built internally and had spray when we talked later. Stayed within about 2-3 car lengths of me and my F-body was close to 500 rwhp car...I was like WTF?

But evo's and sti's will make many go WTF too!
Old 05-29-04, 07:39 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by WhiteTiger
I had a guy one time in a VW bug, beat up with primer take on my SC'd F-Body (Camaro/Firebird platform) and gave me a run for my money. He was built internally and had spray when we talked later. Stayed within about 2-3 car lengths of me and my F-body was close to 500 rwhp car...I was like WTF?

But evo's and sti's will make many go WTF too!
are you sure that was a guy with a bug??

yup i agreee with you on EVOs
Old 05-29-04, 10:04 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS 430, get stock looking wheels, think AC makes one that can come in a 18x10, add FI
Old 05-29-04, 10:05 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lada with a built chevy V8.
Old 05-29-04, 10:58 AM
LexFather

I'd say, 7 years ago, in late 1997/early 1998, the GS 400. Nothing came close to it's performace in a sedan. Plus it was a Lexus, and people equate lexus with slow and comfy.

Sleeper to everyone, stock?
Only enthusiests know about the STi and EVO. Most people think it's cheap, slow Japanase made stuff. Those are still sleepers.
NEON SRT-4. B/C it has Neon on the trunk and people think it's just kitted out.

I think the E55 might not be a total sleeper as it is a Benz, and some people just expect them to be fast.

My NOMINATION for sleeper, (drumroll please)
Suburu Forester Turbo. Looks like a wagon, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds stock. You would have no idea what blew bye you.

Old 05-29-04, 12:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

There are many cars these days that can be a shocker. Some of the full sized trucks for instance can wail when stomped on. Look through the stats in R&T and there are -A LOT- of cars running low 15's these days and the "performance' models are in the 14's with cars liek the EVO and WRX in the 13's.
The cars of the 60's, 70's and to some point 80's did not handle well in stock form. When I see some of these aged things on the road...I am never sure what may be lurking.

When I got my license in the early '80's there was a guy in these parts with a stock looking bug who did the street circuit. In the back was the stock VW engine but under the front bonnet was a SB 350. His secret didn't last long but it was enough for him to drive it around to get the unsuspecting.
Old 05-29-04, 07:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Most cars in stock form are sleepers, the E55 is no different then an E430 4matic for some, I've seen people not know the difference between a 10 year old 3series and a brand new M3

The best 2 sleepers I ever saw was a 2001 or 2000 745i with a SC, car was a beast and an S430 AMG it is an S55 car has mirror tint and has a cool looking body kit, wide tires to

Quick Reply: Which car do you think is a great sleeper car?