Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 04:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by pvmike1
SexySC,

I think that happens EVERY time a new model comes out.

Not if the changes are detrimental, like if they put the SLR nose on the next facelift for the MB SL class for example.
Old 06-05-04, 10:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I was hoping for more than this for the G35coupe.

1. Interior is almost unchanged, still doesnt look too good.
2. No projector HIDs, like almost all other Nissans and Infinitis have.
3. No HP increase for AT.
Old 06-05-04, 11:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by pvmike1
SexySC,

I think that happens EVERY time a new model comes out.

Rominl,

To tell you the truth, I'm not too crazy about the IS interior either. However, the amber dash of the G35 really stands out to me - there aren't any other colors that temper the bright orange glare. The amber in the IS isn't nearly as intrusive and hence is less of an annoyance.

Much like 1Sick, I am anti-amber in any car. JMO.

I still think the G35 and IS300 are great cars.
well the is300 has never been designed to be a lexus, imho lexus was really trying very hard to just tweak the altezza into a lexus, so it's not surprising about the interior
Old 06-06-04, 04:30 PM
LexFather

OLD
Attached Thumbnails 2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes-005_2003_g35_sedan.jpg  

Old 06-06-04, 04:30 PM
LexFather

New?
Attached Thumbnails 2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes-002_2005_g35_interior.jpg  

Old 06-06-04, 05:33 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1sicklex - the major reason why infiniti did not change the interior by too much is because they did not want to hurt the resale value of the current G35 coupes and sedans. If they were to change the interior completely, then resale value would be bad for the current G's. Infiniti did the right thing is changing only what was necessary. They changed the things that people and car mags felt should be changed. People complained about the cheap plastic titanium trim and so now they changed it to real aluminum trim as well as real wood. Now whatever (the interior) was holding people back from buying a g35 is now eliminated. The cheap parts are gone and infiniti even added horsepower. Seems like the g35 will be car of the year again if you ask me...
Old 06-06-04, 05:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

G35C is a perfact car now then.
Old 06-06-04, 05:46 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DC52E55
G35C is a perfact car now then.
nah they still need to move the volume and temp controls to driver side. oh and twin turbos. and keep the price under $40K. thats perfect..........

Doc
Old 06-06-04, 06:13 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrRick
nah they still need to move the volume and temp controls to driver side. oh and twin turbos. and keep the price under $40K. thats perfect..........

Doc
that would be very nice if they come with twin tubo borrowed from R34 and keep it under 40K.
i am with you doc
Old 06-07-04, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DrRick

Doc
hahaa, i would get one for sure doc
Old 06-07-04, 07:59 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

after reading this, i just noticed that the volume and temp control is on the passenger side.....
Old 06-07-04, 08:10 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry about that teaser........
Old 06-08-04, 06:54 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
well the is300 has never been designed to be a lexus, imho lexus was really trying very hard to just tweak the altezza into a lexus, so it's not surprising about the interior
I whole heartedly agree. I don't understand why whenever anybody brings up this topic, people get so upset. . . it's true! Even though the handling still can't beat BMW, and maybe yes, Infiniti has a more powerful motor. . . not too different than the rest of Lexus history. . . but the crucial element, the amazing, world class build quality and interiors. . . the IS300 was never designed to be a Lexus in the first place. Even the styling shares more in common with the Toyota Matrix, Celica, Scion than an LS430 or SC430. But all of you know how quiet Lexus is about their upcoming plans. I don't have anything factual to base this off of, but I KNOW without a doubt that the future IS300, probably due in a year or two, is going the change all that. This new IS xxx is more likely than the last model to be specifically designed for this market. . . I'd expect a whole new interior layout(save maybe the chronograph dash), and probably a baby 2005 GS430 look. The GS is "the future design direction" hint hint. Can you imagine that?
Old 06-08-04, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Xenthar
1sicklex - the major reason why infiniti did not change the interior by too much is because they did not want to hurt the resale value of the current G35 coupes and sedans. If they were to change the interior completely, then resale value would be bad for the current G's. Infiniti did the right thing is changing only what was necessary. They changed the things that people and car mags felt should be changed. People complained about the cheap plastic titanium trim and so now they changed it to real aluminum trim as well as real wood. Now whatever (the interior) was holding people back from buying a g35 is now eliminated. The cheap parts are gone and infiniti even added horsepower. Seems like the g35 will be car of the year again if you ask me...
Xenthar...you're defending Nissan / Infiniti marketing too much. If they had done what they should have done and put real wood, carbon fiber, or aluminum in these cars to start with instead of cheap plastic, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Infiniti is considered a luxury / sport brand, not econoboxes...so you can't use econobox trim.
Now, Nissan / Infiniti is by no means the only company guilty of making marketing errors....Lexus pulled a real boner when it introduced the IS300 in 2001 without a manual-transmission option ...and then in 2002 when the manual tranny finally did come it was a 5-speed instead of a 6-speed. ( Infiniti also foolishly introduced the G35 in automatic-only form). And the Lincoln Blackwood truck was probably the greatest marketing error in the last 10 years.
Old 06-08-04, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
I whole heartedly agree. I don't understand why whenever anybody brings up this topic, people get so upset. . . it's true! Even though the handling still can't beat BMW, and maybe yes, Infiniti has a more powerful motor. . . not too different than the rest of Lexus history. . . but the crucial element, the amazing, world class build quality and interiors. . . the IS300 was never designed to be a Lexus in the first place. Even the styling shares more in common with the Toyota Matrix, Celica, Scion than an LS430 or SC430. But all of you know how quiet Lexus is about their upcoming plans. I don't have anything factual to base this off of, but I KNOW without a doubt that the future IS300, probably due in a year or two, is going the change all that. This new IS xxx is more likely than the last model to be specifically designed for this market. . . I'd expect a whole new interior layout(save maybe the chronograph dash), and probably a baby 2005 GS430 look. The GS is "the future design direction" hint hint. Can you imagine that?
well for the record i also own the is300 as well as gs400, so my comments weren't really biased but yes, i agree with you. the is300 was more like a rush project by lexus to put out a car head to head with 3 series. the next release is going to be a lot more refined

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes