Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04 | 06:37 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Default 2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes 295HP!

SAN FRANCISCO (June 3, 2004) – Infiniti, Nissan’s luxury division, today announced a number of significant enhancements to its popular G35 sport coupe and G35 sport sedan for the 2005 model year in North America. The changes include the introduction of a new coupe Sport model, a redesigned exterior appearance for the sedan and a redesigned instrument panel and console area with aluminum trim or optional wood trim on both the 2005 G35 coupe and G35 sedan.

Another major enhancement for the new model year is an increase in power for all G35 sedans to 277 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque (from 260 hp/260 lb-ft). The G35 sedan lineup, which added a new all-wheel drive version in the 2004 model year, also receives new exterior styling for 2005 – featuring a new hood, grille, bumpers, side sills, taillights and wheels.

The G35 coupe’s new Sport model will be available in an advanced 5-speed automatic transmission or with a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. The Sport 6MT model receives an additional 15-plus horsepower over automatic-equipped G35 coupe’s standard 280 horsepower, bringing its power to the 295-horsepower range (final figures to be released later).

In addition, the manual transmission design on both coupe and sedan models has been improved to provide a lower shifting effort.

The 2005 G35 sedan will be offered in four models, each equipped with a standard 3.5-liter V6, 4-wheel independent suspension and the refined exterior. For 2005, the sport-tuned suspension package has been upgraded with 18-inch lightweight cast aluminum wheels with 235/45R18 tires and drilled aluminum pedals.

The G35 coupe will be offered in three models for 2005, Coupe, Coupe Sport A/T and Coupe Sport 6MT. Both Sport models include a new sport-tuned suspension, Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (V-LSD), 19-inch forged aluminum-alloy wheels and drilled aluminum pedals.

“Infiniti built its reputation on a stunning combination of powerful rear-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles and outstanding customer service,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. “The G35 has been a key element in our recent product line expansion and with the enhancements for 2005, our product momentum remains strong.”

The 2005 Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe with automatic transmissions are scheduled to be available at Infiniti dealers in North America beginning in October 2004. Manual transmission equipped models will go on sale in December 2004.

The announcement came during the Nissan 360 news media event, a three-week program in San Francisco featuring the automaker’s current and future worldwide product and business plans. At the event, about 500 reporters had the opportunity to drive nearly 70 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles to familiarize themselves with the breadth of Nissan’s global product lineup.

http://www.infinitinews.com/

Last edited by Xenthar; 06-04-04 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-04-04 | 06:42 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Interior pic

G35 Sedan

G35 Coupe

Old 06-04-04 | 06:44 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Now at least no one can complain about cheap interior material. All the plastic titanium dash is now replaced with real aluminum trim and there is also an optional real wood trim. The 15hp jump is also a plus as well as the 19" wheels.

Finally there is an automaker that listens to the consumers. They changed all the things people complained about and they also added more stuff to please consumers. Thumbs up infiniti

Last edited by Xenthar; 06-04-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-04 | 08:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

the increase in power is nice, but i will just wait for the turbo version
Old 06-04-04 | 10:59 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

still amber lighting. Not a big deal, but even white lighting would be a big improvement.
Old 06-04-04 | 11:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pvmike1
still amber lighting. Not a big deal, but even white lighting would be a big improvement.
call OLT in that case, i m sure he could do some magic to it
Old 06-05-04 | 03:57 AM
AA Concepts
Pole Position

Great, the G35 gets MORE hp!

They are hard to keep up with as it is
Old 06-05-04 | 05:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I agree.

Just minor changes, but I like most of them The real aluminium on center controls panel, standard drilled aluminium paddles are nice, as well as the added horsepower, but I don't like the new position of the clock. You always wish you have the patience to wait for the refreshed model eh ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-05-04 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-05-04 | 07:14 AM
LexFather

It's an improvement, still not stellar but improved. The controls/***** are still on the passengers side. The coupe clearly no reason to change the exterior, damn near perfect. The sedan looks a lil better but IMO, not a favorite to look at.

But man, can they do a powertrain or what. 295horses! Wow! 277 in the sedan (eat that TL). Wow! With the improved interior, sport models and AWD G35x, this is simply very, very impressive. I did get a tickle outta this though
Infiniti built its reputation on a stunning combination of powerful rear-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles and outstanding customer service,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. “The G35 has been a key element in our recent product line expansion and with the enhancements for 2005, our product momentum remains strong.”
Sorry, there still is no reputation yet. Infiniti had only the RWD Q45 (which has won the rave reviews of a soft taco) until the G35 came along. THe J30 was a disaster. The G20/M30/I30-35 were all lackluster FWD models. What reputation?

Infiniti is in the process of TOTALLY turning around their fortunes in a very positve manner. That will be their reputation. Turning things around after 14 years in the business.
Finally there is an automaker that listens to the consumers
U mean another one?

Bottom Line, thumbs up to Infiniti for improving the G35.
Old 06-05-04 | 09:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

sorry that the is300 disappoints you too
Old 06-05-04 | 09:51 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by rominl
Ha! Good call on the amber, I totally do not like in the IS or any car.
Old 06-05-04 | 02:24 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

You always wish you have the patience to wait for the refreshed model eh ?
SexySC,

I think that happens EVERY time a new model comes out.

Rominl,

To tell you the truth, I'm not too crazy about the IS interior either. However, the amber dash of the G35 really stands out to me - there aren't any other colors that temper the bright orange glare. The amber in the IS isn't nearly as intrusive and hence is less of an annoyance.

Much like 1Sick, I am anti-amber in any car. JMO.

I still think the G35 and IS300 are great cars.

Last edited by pvmike1; 06-05-04 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-05-04 | 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb More HP

Originally posted by rominl
the increase in power is nice, but I will just wait for the turbo version
The HP and torque increase will probably help the AWD G35X version more than the RWD one..it was heavier and with more drivetrain drag to start with.
Old 06-05-04 | 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Amber / orange dash lights have their origins in racing and in night vision for aircraft because studies showed that red and orange lights were easiest on the eyes at night for pilots....though I'm a pilot myself and don't nesessarily agree. In the auto world they are considered " sporty " and the "image" color....that is why Audi, BMW, and Pontiac....generally sporty brands....use them on so many of their models, and why Lexus uses it on the IS300.

Like you, I'm not a terribly big fan of the orange dash lights myself, but they look good on the IS300's chronograph gauge cluster......less so on the G35.
Old 06-05-04 | 04:14 PM
dkny_112
Lead Lap

well, i think its finally about time i sell my beloved SC and pony up the cash for a g35 coupe..

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 coupe/sedan changes